FroDawg and I have put together a little auction here on behalf of Dave Hunter, poster artist and screenprinter extraordinaire, aka gammalyte, who many on this forum have known and admired for years. As it turns out, Mr. Hunter has encountered a series of unfortunate situations over the last year that have prevented him from creating enough art to sustain a living. Starting with a lower spinal injury in 2012 to suffering from whiplash from a car accident while on his way to pick up screen print supplies in early April, his physical ability to create and produce has been minimal. Since then, Dave's expenses have increased exponentially as a result of spending considerable time in international court in Europe over the past few months in attempts to secure the return of his beloved 9-year old daughter Jasmine to the US, who was wrongfully removed from this country in spite of a pre-existing shared custody court ruling
This auction is an opportunity for the EB community to help Dave out by bidding on a number of posters, art prints, OG’s, unique variants, doodles and other assorted goodies (maybe even a movie poster) donated by artists, EB members and folks in the art and music industry who have contributed generously to help a good guy out. The donors will be recognized by name below along with the items they have donated, unless they requested anonymity.
Here’s how the auction works (please excuse the length of this post; we want to cover everything):
1. The auction starts as soon as the first item is posted below. The auction for all items will end Sunday, September 1st, with the end time to be determined after 8:00pm Eastern time when no bids are posted for a consecutive 15 minute period. If a bid is made on ANY item between 8:00pm and 8:15pm on 9/1, the entire auction will remain open for 15 additional minutes, etc. etc. This will give everyone a last chance to bid on ANY poster while the bidding remains open. Regardless how long it takes after 10:00pm on September 2nd to have a consecutive 15 minute period with no bids, the auction plays on. I’ll post THE AUCTION IS OVER when the auction is over. If bids continue into the night and I nod off for a few hours, the auction is still on until I regain consciousness and post THE AUCTION IS OVER. I’m not being paid enough here to be held accountable for falling asleep at the wheel .
2. Each auction item will have both a number and a name associated with it. In order to avoid any mistakes bidding on the wrong item, all bids must state the Item Number, Item Name and bid amount (e.g., #7, Sperry Dylan gold. $75 … haha, don’t you wish), or it will not be recognized as a bid. This rule has been created to avoid misunderstandings and the general mess associated with trying to undo bidding mistakes. Fro and I will determine if/ when a bid is invalid. A status will be posted each night or the following morning, identifying the leading bidder and amount for each item, to make it easier for everyone to track the status of all items as the week-long auction progresses.
3. Bidding must be in whole dollars, with minimum bid increments of $10. There will be no nickel and diming to beat a bid by $0.50. Go to eBay if that’s your game. This is a fund raiser, and I think you will find that the art that’s been donated is worth having in your collection. And as an equal opportunity novice auctioneer, I don’t care if your intention is to keep an item or flip it… just bid generously, please.
4. All donors have agreed to ship each item US Priority Mail, fully insured as part of their donation to the cause. In order to keep costs controllable and predictable, we are restricting shipments to destinations in the Continental U.S. We apologize up front to those outside our lower 48. You will have your day; maybe you will conduct the same type of auction for someone in your country some day, in which case we will follow your event enviously.
5. Each winner will be notified by Fro or myself on September 2nd, including the Paypal email address to direct your payment to (note that all payments will be a standard “goods” purchase; we will not request or require gift payments). The buyer should state the item number, item name and their EB handle in the Paypal payment notes, using the same Item # and name used when they bid on the item. This will prevent confusion in identifying who has paid for what. Important: Don’t bid if you can’t pay for your winning item within 48 hours of being notified by Fro or me. If an item goes 2 days without payment, the person will be notified via PM that their bid has been dropped, and the next highest bidder will be notified that they have won the item. This is our deadbeat caveat. No apologies to folks who may have been struck by lightning or hit by a meteor. This is a fund raiser, so funds need to be raised.
6. Within a day of payment confirmation (hopefully sooner), Fro will notify the donor that payment has been received, and the donor will then ship the item to the buyer and send Fro the tracking number so we can provide it to the buyer.
If anyone has questions about any of the above, please PM me. If the question is legit, I’ll reply as quickly as I can, posting information in this thread if the question/answer benefit the thread.
OK. Look for auction items to start appearing below in a minute. Be ready. Some of the items will knock your socks off. Never underestimate the generosity of this community. Please bid with the awareness of the reason behind the auction.
Thanks in advance for the generosity of your bids, and for happy bumps to keep the auction visible for the duration. Remember, everybody wins here!
Fro and Rick
I always defer to someone who's wearing a beater, regardless of what else he's wearing.