Mondotees Toy News & Rumors thread

Discuss designer toys.

Postby charter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I'm not paying $200, $300+ for timed/open ed figures with no sculpts. That money goes to Hot Toys. I may get one eventually depending on subject but that's too much money for vinyl figurines with no limited run size. Iron Giant looks great though. Will be interesting to see what Mondo can pull off. It's nice to see them expanding but I hope they get good licenses.
charter
Art Expert

Postby skis007 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 pm

Great, another mondo thread.
skis007
Art Expert

chat.mvn.ms:6697 #eb

Postby Darkknight37 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:51 pm

charter wrote:I'm not paying $200, $300+ for timed/open ed figures with no sculpts. That money goes to Hot Toys.

Eh, I like HT and have a bunch of those figures, but holy fudge are they getting out of control with their prices. Back in the day their figures used to be $100-$150, now they're upwards of $250-$300. Sure, the sculpts are amazing and all, but they're only going to keep jacking up prices. It seems lately they're only focused on making Iron Men and Heath Ledger Joker's anyway.

So I don't mind Mondo joining the fray, I'll gladly pay $150 for a 1/6th scale Turtle if it looks cool. Hopefully they can get new licenses and good sculpts while keeping costs down.
Darkknight37
Art Expert

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:30 pm

Anyone hear anything about a Justin Ishmael Mr Potato head mock-up?
TheBeard
Art Expert

Woodrocket podcast - http://itun.es/us/8lNFJ.c

Postby lobotomizer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:22 pm

If you like it, buy it.
Why does it have to be limited edition for you to enjoy it.

I agree about all the sideshow hulks and hot toy ironmans :roll:
lobotomizer
Art Expert

Postby charter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:44 pm

All hobbies are built upon collectibility/limited. You collect limited art. The toy market is no different. If you don't believe that then I'll buy that DD We Were Fortunate for cost thx!
charter
Art Expert

Postby MagiaOrganica on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:47 pm

To say all hobbies are built on limited editions is very inaccurate. These toys are still going to be limited to the amount that are ordered in a certain time frame anyways. So technically they will have a limited edition.
MagiaOrganica
Art Connoisseur

Postby charter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:54 pm

That's like saying 2015 Acuras are limited. There is a difference between a stated run and an open run. That doesn't even take into account quality control.
charter
Art Expert

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm

the notion of limited is about 30% of the demand. There's nothign wrong with that.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby mobius006 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:57 pm

charter wrote:That's like saying 2015 Acuras are limited. There is a difference between a stated run and an open run. That doesn't even take into account quality control.

doyles are forever :twisted:
mobius006
Art Freak

Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby MagiaOrganica on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:09 pm

charter wrote:That's like saying 2015 Acuras are limited. There is a difference between a stated run and an open run. That doesn't even take into account quality control.

It's not an open run though right? Timed? I could be misunderstanding what they are saying and I have no idea how toy pre orders typically work.
MagiaOrganica
Art Connoisseur

Postby TheBeard on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:11 pm

They'll probably do various runs if demand is high. I mean he did say he wants his stuff to eventually be on the shelves of places like Target.
TheBeard
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:16 pm

charter wrote:All hobbies are built upon collectibility/limited.

This is entirely not true. Lots of hobbies don't even have collectible markets.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby lobotomizer on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:42 pm

charter wrote:All hobbies are built upon collectibility/limited. You collect limited art. The toy market is no different. If you don't believe that then I'll buy that DD We Were Fortunate for cost thx!

If you can find one at cost by all means grab it.

If it's a LE of 10000 like those sideshow batmans or it's an open edition like my lsf wolf predator
I see no difference, you like it and can afford it buy it.
You want to feel special because on X # have them , then that's on you.

It sounds like the iron giants are a preorder deal anyways so it'll be somewhat limited but you'll probably never know the number.
lobotomizer
Art Expert

Postby charter on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:18 pm

Kramerica wrote:
charter wrote:All hobbies are built upon collectibility/limited.

This is entirely not true. Lots of hobbies don't even have collectible markets.

Name one that has nothing to do with limited pieces. Rock collectors even have markets. You can buy rocks on ebay it's crazy! Every hobby has grails, rare, or hard to find pieces that collectors seek. They have to pay a premium in that niche marketplace to obtain those. I can't think of one collector hobby that doesn't have a market. You can buy anything on the internet...even certain strains of weed that are sold at a premium because they aren't common. Every collectible hobby is built upon limited availability. Mondo is a perfect example of limited.
charter
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Toys