What are you watching.....RIGHT NOW!!!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:39 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Had a long, hard week at work, so watching "Black Dynamite." I love this movie more every time I watch it.
I would trade a kidney to have someone put the soundtrack out on vinyl.
New one coming, excited for it.....
IWish
Art Expert

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Just finished this. So good. Wish I was better at writing movie reviews.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:57 pm

THE WOLF OF WALL STREET is easily Martin Scorsese's best picture since 2006's THE DEPARTED and another great performance by Leonardo DiCaprio. My first introduction to Margot Robbie as well as Jon Bernthal. Terrific job casting of Jordan Belfort's friends: Jonah Hill (Donnie), P.J. Byrne (Rugrat), Kenneth Choi (Chester), Brian Sacca (Pinhead) and Henry Zebrowski (Sea Otter). They really played well off of each other during each of their scenes and genuinely seemed to get along. Matthew McConaughey steals the few scenes that he's in (particularly when he takes Jordan out to lunch). Credit also goes to Rob Reiner for his role as well for some comedic relief.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:39 pm

This weekend I did a Soledad Miranda/Jess Franco double-feature with VAMPYROS LESBOS and SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY. VAMPYROS LESBOS is the "Tarantino effect" on me as it's considered in some circles, to be one of the 10 best grindhouse films ever made. No other director has influenced my taste in other movies like Tarantino; hence the reason he's my favorite director of all time. KILL BILL opened me up to Asian cinema and likewise when GRINDHOUSE was released, he opened me to that genre as well. SHE KILLED IN ECSTASY had too much of a THE BRIDE WORE BLACK feel to it, which I feel is a superior film and was released only 3 years earlier. Soledad Miranda did have a presence on screen and sadly, these are the only 2 films I've seen her in. What's even more sad is the fact she never got to enjoy her new found fame as she was killed in a car accident shortly after these films were completed but not yet released.

I also rewatched Dario Argento's masterpiece SUSPIRIA. I don't know what it is but the last 3 times I've seen this, I've enjoyed it more and more. His use of lighting in this is a case study within itself. A good score, great story, and great acting, particularly from star Jessica Harper and Stefani Casini.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm

Last night instead of watching "the big game" I watched Quentin Tarantino's World War II film INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS. I absolutely love Tarantino's use of language in this film. And I really don't think it can be overstated how incredible Christoph Waltz's performance as Colonel Hans Landa is. How he's able to make the audience actually like a nazi officer is absolutely amazing and just a testament to his skill. Besides 300, this was really my first introduction to Michael Fassbender, who I've come to respect more in recent years (I especially love him as Magneto in the new X-Men films). Melanie Laurent and Daniel Bruhl equally do excellent jobs as Shosanna and Fredrick Zoller respectively.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 am

Irishman12 wrote:THE WOLF OF WALL STREET is easily Martin Scorsese's best picture since 2006's THE DEPARTED and another great performance by Leonardo DiCaprio. My first introduction to Margot Robbie as well as Jon Bernthal. Terrific job casting of Jordan Belfort's friends: Jonah Hill (Donnie), P.J. Byrne (Rugrat), Kenneth Choi (Chester), Brian Sacca (Pinhead) and Henry Zebrowski (Sea Otter). They really played well off of each other during each of their scenes and genuinely seemed to get along. Matthew McConaughey steals the few scenes that he's in (particularly when he takes Jordan out to lunch). Credit also goes to Rob Reiner for his role as well for some comedic relief.

HUGO THO
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
mfaith
EB Team Emeritus

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:54 am

Finally getting around to watching this. Not bad

So it goes...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:47 am

^
On a first viewing (at the theater) I found Baby Driver to be light and breezy, entertaining. On a second viewing I found it to be obnoxious and annoying. I probably won't ever watch it again.

Last night I watched M. Night Shyamahimalaya's The Happening. I'd heard it was bad, but I had no idea it was epically, entertainingly bad. It was so bad that I enjoyed it :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:55 am

Supposed to be getting a haircut but instead I'm at home watching West Side Story. I've been tearing through NYC movies in anticipation of my trip there.

I love the look of this film. Great production design.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:22 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Supposed to be getting a haircut but instead I'm at home watching West Side Story. I've been tearing through NYC movies in anticipation of my trip there.

I love the look of this film. Great production design.
Incredible to see on 70MM, sound on that is ridiculous.
ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm

^^havent seen WSS since grade 7 music class. We mocked it relentlessly (obvs.).
Worth a re-watch?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:20 pm

RadRacing wrote:^^havent seen WSS since grade 7 music class. We mocked it relentlessly (obvs.).
Worth a re-watch?
West Side Story is a grand musical. I never took it seriously as a kid and then years later I stumbled on it and I was like, "wait... West Side Story's actually good?!"

It's both theatrical and cinematic; a stylish spin on the Romeo & Juliet story with fantastic music and some catchy tunes. Saul Bass did the opening and closing credits. It's not for everybody though. I'd say it's worth a shot if you're the least bit curious.

Frank, I'd love to see this on 70mm. I'm sure that was a memorable experience.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Solid, thanks for that. Just placed it on hold at my library.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

RadRacing wrote:Solid, thanks for that. Just placed it on hold at my library.
Nice! Library's are such an underutilized source. I love them. Free movies, books, and music?! They're also the closest thing I have to the old video store experience. Fortunately, Houston Public Libraries have an an excellent selection and between me and my wife's cards I can check out up to 10 movies at a time and 50 books and CDs. A lot of people in the states scoff at the notion of a library or just don't consider them, but I'm a huge fan.

Speaking of libraries, last year I missed a Frederick Wiseman documentary about the New York Public Library called Ex Libris: The New York Public Library. I really want to see it, but as far as I know there isn't any way to watch it right now. I think it's over three hours long.

Report back once you've seen Westside Story :pint:
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm

^^Will do,

I've been waiting on Ex-Libris also. I'm actually a librarian (although not in the Public system) so I hear you 100% on how they are underutilized. Although we have quite good numbers in our city.

My wife and I use ours constantly. Our city built a sweet new building for the biggest most central branch a couple of years back and it has increased usage by over 20% across all branches... and the public system here have a 'Suggestion for Purchase' button on their website and they will buy just about anything for you if they don't have it. I get them to buy all kinds of stuff. I put in probably 2-3 requests/month and I can't remember the last time they denied a request.

Between regular TV, Netflix, Crave (A Canadian streaming service), my own collection, going to the cinema and our library holds we NEVER run out of stuff to watch.

I could go on and on promoting libraries and all the services they have to offer. Ours (and I assume most in any city of a decent size) not only have books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, ebooks, etc but video games/systems, recording studios, SAD lamps, resources for kids with issues such as autism, free language lessons etc etc....

So get out there and use them people! :pint: