What are you watching.....RIGHT NOW!!!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:58 pm

RadRacing wrote:I've been waiting on Ex-Libris also. I'm actually a librarian (although not in the Public system) so I hear you 100% on how they are underutilized. Although we have quite good numbers in our city.

My wife and I use ours constantly. Our city built a sweet new building for the biggest most central branch a couple of years back and it has increased usage by over 20% across all branches... and the public system here have a 'Suggestion for Purchase' button on their website and they will buy just about anything for you if they don't have it. I get them to buy all kinds of stuff. I put in probably 2-3 requests/month and I can't remember the last time they denied a request.

Between regular TV, Netflix, Crave (A Canadian streaming service), my own collection, going to the cinema and our library holds we NEVER run out of stuff to watch.

I could go on and on promoting libraries and all the services they have to offer. Ours (and I assume most in any city of a decent size) not only have books, magazines, DVDs, CDs, ebooks, etc but video games/systems, recording studios, SAD lamps, resources for kids with issues such as autism, free language lessons etc etc....

So get out there and use them people! :pint:
Very cool RR! I've always been curious about being a librarian. Seems like it would be a cool environment to be in all day. (I've seen too many movies; I like the idea of working in some super old library with cool architecture (gotta have gargoyles) and tall shelves full of old books with old secrets in them, haha. Our libraries' are nothing like that, but they're filled with good stuff.) How convenient that you can request stuff, it sounds like you have a great system.

My natural enthusiasm for them has gotten a few of my friends hooked. It's now a routine part of their lives and they're thankful I put them on. Good feeling.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:51 pm

Really good stuff at the Museum this month and next, part of their See It Big series.

ImageImageImage

Original Comic Art Collection: http://cafurl.com?i=25041
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:10 pm

^
Black Narcissus, The Thief of Bagdad, and Rebecca would all get me out of the house. An American in Paris probably would too. I saw Black Narcissus at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston several years ago and it made an impression. Can't go wrong with P&P on the big screen.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 pm

I did a Pam Grier double-feature yesterday with COFFY and FOXY BROWN. COFFY is probably the more well known of the two but FOXY stands on her own as well. Pam does a good job in both as an ass kicking, take no prisoners, revenge seeking heroine. Also nice to see Sid Haig in both as well. Quentin Tarantino did swipe a song or two from COFFY for his Pam Grier staring film, JACKIE BROWN. And just a side note, as much as I respect and admire Pam Grier, her Jamaican accent in COFFY definitely could have used some work! :lol:
Irishman12
Art Expert

Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm

THE BRIDE WORE BLACK

A fantastic revenge story about a widow who tracks down the 5 people responsible for her husband's death. Apparently based on a novel by Cornell Woolrich, of which I'll have to get my hands on to read. Jeanne Moreau does a fantastic job as the seducing, emotionless heroine who will stop at nothing until all of these men are dead. It's easy to see the inspiration for Quentin Tarantino to make KILL BILL. My only grip is I felt the third act ran a little long in terms of her fourth victim. I thought this definitely could have been condensed some but other than that, this is nothing short of awesome. If you're able to get a hold of a copy, I highly recommend it! 7/10
Woo5lscott
Art Expert

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:01 pm

Victoria
Irishman12
Art Expert

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:42 am

MS. 45

Drafthouse Films did an excellent job with the Blu-Ray transfer for MS. 45. The picture and colors are the best I've ever seen the film. A very strong performance by Zoe Lund who plays a mute who is twice raped on her way home from work one day. Insuring it will never happen to her again, she becomes a vigilante who stalks the city of New York to get rid of any and all aggressive men. This film reminded me very much of a female portrayal of TAXI DRIVER where the grimy New York City is a character within itself as well. Another great revenge thriller. 7/10
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

More for March, was hoping they'd do the double feature at some point.

ImageImageImage

RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Accident Man
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Frank, I was checking out their site yesterday. How's the Jim Henson exhibit?

I was thrilled to stumble upon this exhibition of Stanley Kubrick photos from Look Magazine opening in May at the Museum of New York City. Definitely gonna check it out.

http://www.mcny.org/exhibition/through-different-lens
FrankBooth
Art Expert

Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:37 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Frank, I was checking out their site yesterday. How's the Jim Henson exhibit?

I was thrilled to stumble upon this exhibition of Stanley Kubrick photos from Look Magazine opening in May at the Museum of New York City. Definitely gonna check it out.

It's their most extensive exhibit to date I believe. Definitely as it pertains of a singular person. It's well done.

Also special, as Kaufman Studios (Which the Museum is pretty much attached to) has been filming Sesame Street for years.

If you end up going in May, let me know. You can use my membership to get in for free for two people.

Quick vid

I have to make it out to the Kubrick one, MCNY is a great spot.
ImageImageImage

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:38 pm

FrankBooth wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Frank, I was checking out their site yesterday. How's the Jim Henson exhibit?

It's their most extensive exhibit to date I believe. Definitely as it pertains of a singular person. It's well done.

Also special, as Kaufman Studios (Which the Museum is pretty much attached to) has been filming Sesame Street for years.

If you end up going in May, let me know. You can use my membership to get in for free for two people.
Very cool, gonna have to check it out (love Jim Henson). Appreciate the ticket offer. Those'll come in handy :pint:
RadRacing
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:21 pm

Irishman12 wrote:THE BRIDE WORE BLACK
I didn't even know there was a movie for this! I LOVED the book. Tarantino definitely based a lot of Kill Bill off of it. Going to try and grab the movie on my way home tonight.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm

THE STENDHAL SYNDROME

One of the more recent Dario Argento films (1996) that I've viewed within the last 4 months. The CGI in the few scenes it was in was obviously bad and dated. Dario's daughter Asia Argento gives a strong performance of a detective slowly going insane as she attempts to track down a serial killer/rapist who has assaulted her as well. At times I was questioning where Dario was taking us as it was sometimes difficult to separate fiction from reality. A young Thomas Kretschmann stars as the villain. You may remember his work on Peter Jackson's 2005 KING KONG or from CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER or AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON. 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:25 pm

RadRacing wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:THE BRIDE WORE BLACK
I didn't even know there was a movie for this! I LOVED the book. Tarantino definitely based a lot of Kill Bill off of it. Going to try and grab the movie on my way home tonight.
Good luck! I was very impressed with it and would like to pick up the book one day. Compare and contrast plus gain some more in sight into the characters if it's provided.