the official TV discussion thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:07 am

yosi wrote:Love the Office, did the premiere already happen?
Yeah, two episodes in.

"True Blood" and "Flight of the Conchords" are two more shows I watch.
I'll have to watch "Dollhouse" soon. Downside: Eliza Dushku can't act well.

As for shows that are cancelled, I would suggest "Rome", "Huff" (both HBO), "Firefly", "Journeyman", "Miss Guided", "Wonderfalls", and "Dead Like Me".
And "Pushing Daisies" if you're more into the whimsical stuff. I would love to see that one Blu-Ray.
yosi
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:14 am

machination wrote:
yosi wrote:Love the Office, did the premiere already happen?
Yeah, two episodes in.
Thanks. Gonna have to check those out. Its just hard for me to keep up cause I'm out of states for the next year and they aren't played live on TV here. Gonna have to start DL them.
iratasan
Flipper

Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:45 am

machination wrote:
turnJBup wrote:Forgot to mention Life... dig that cop show.
I liked that show.
I think the detectives/cop thing is a bit overdone, so they have to make the characters extra interesting in order for it to keep viewers. Unfortunately this has been cancelled.
i liked it, but it went a bit nuts as soon as the main protagonists got divided. that was a mistake.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 am

iratasan wrote:
machination wrote:
turnJBup wrote:Forgot to mention Life... dig that cop show.
I liked that show.
I think the detectives/cop thing is a bit overdone, so they have to make the characters extra interesting in order for it to keep viewers. Unfortunately this has been cancelled.
i liked it, but it went a bit nuts as soon as the main protagonists got divided. that was a mistake.
Totally agree. The lead female actress was pregnant, so they decided to keep her more hidden and have less air time, I guess.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:53 am

mbarney wrote:
greenhorn1 wrote:TV died when the drymounting cocksuckers failed to renew drymounting Deadwood. :D

Were John From Cincinatti and Kings by the same creators?
I know john from cincinnati was. I never watched it out of protest since they basically killed off deadwood to make that. Kings i'm not sure of.
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)
kyle
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:09 pm

can't believe i forgot Dexter... love that one too. watched like 3 episodes last night in a row. :lol:
Codeblue wrote:Hork is God, Jesus, the 12 disciples, Santa Claus, and the Easter Bunny all rolled into one beautiful lanky package.
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:17 pm

kyle wrote:can't believe i forgot Dexter... love that one too. watched like 3 episodes last night in a row. :lol:
Gotta love the premise of a serial killer that hunts serial killers! :twisted:
Seriously hoping that season 4 proves to be better than season 3. . .
That one had kind of been a bit of a let down after 1 and 2.
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
machination
EB Team Emeritus

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:30 pm

decker3984 wrote:
kyle wrote:can't believe i forgot Dexter... love that one too. watched like 3 episodes last night in a row. :lol:
Season 1 was the best, but it's also the only one that followed the books. Maybe it's less structured now that they are going in a separate direction. Still (in my opinion), one of the best shows on TV.
yosi
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:39 pm

decker3984 wrote:
I actually thought season 3 was an improvement from season 2. But season one was definitely the best. I think my favorite aspect of the show, is that its this absolutely crazy show, with tons of crazy fudge going on, but at the same time, it still moves at such a slow, meticulous pace - there's a kind of beauty in it.
sk8nshoot1
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:45 pm

Breaking Bad is the best right now...

Trueblood was awesome this season. Jason is a whack job...

Dexter, waiting for the new season

No one mentioned Rescue Me... Awesome ending to the season a few weeks back...

Loved Nurse Jackie and Tara was cool too. She got the Emmy over Tina Fey... That was cool.

Old fav's include Weeds, Entourage and for some reason I'm still hooked on Survivor and Top Chef
BK: "Flatstock is like chum for flippers"
decker3984
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:44 pm

yosi wrote:
decker3984 wrote:
I actually thought season 3 was an improvement from season 2. But season one was definitely the best. I think my favorite aspect of the show, is that its this absolutely crazy show, with tons of crazy fudge going on, but at the same time, it still moves at such a slow, meticulous pace - there's a kind of beauty in it.
Well, I am probably in agreement with you about first season being the best. . . And I could see where they were going with the writing of the 3rd season, that they didn't want the show to become formulaiac and probably wanted to bring more attention to the supporting cast. . . But honestly, Jimmy Smits's character annoyed the hell out of me. He just seemed a bit over the top and just seemed generally distracting. I am pretty curious about the introduction of John Lithgow in season four. . . It sounds like his character is going to be pretty damn dark!
downtown wrote:If God has a plan for humanity it is simply to see what Aaron Horkey will do in the next ten years.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:00 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:TV died when the drymounting cocksuckers failed to renew drymounting Deadwood. :D

Actually my girlfriend watched all 5 seasons of House over the summer so I saw a lot of that. Not a bad show for network TV although it does get repetitive. Only saw the first episode of united states of tara but it looked like it at least had promise. I watched about a half season of fringe and dollhouse before giving up and from what i've heard both those shows got a lot better after that. Just biding my time until the return of Lost.

And yeah, arrested development was one of the best shows ever.
Deadwood had some of the best dialogue written for a series EVER! It's a a crime that it ended prematurely!! (they were supposed to make a few tv-movie length episodes after ending the 3rd season but never got their act together.

At least there's an Arrested Development movie on the way. Currently in pre-production.

I'm impressed the same way with House. That character is tv classic. Hugh Laurie is awesome.

Bring on LOST!
iratasan
Flipper

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:54 pm

machination wrote:
Totally agree. The lead female actress was pregnant, so they decided to keep her more hidden and have less air time, I guess.
ah, i see. wow, they have really chosen the worst possible way to deal with that scriptwise.
yeah, dexter is great, but they already stretched some aspects way too much. they need a great fresh idea for this season or it is gonna lose it's charm. the usual "dexter is getting close to getting caught, but somehow gets saved by a lucky kill or some other kind of lucky accident" thing is getting pretty old.

as for some other named shows:

- Rescue Me - i used to love it, but they finally lost me last mid-season after already letting a lot of fudge slide, but they have reached mid-day-soup niveau. drama, drama, drama, ridiculousness, drama. can't take it anymore. yawn.

- enrourage - does anybody even still watch this? sum up for every episode: bunch of douchebags and the protagonist's douche manager behave like 6 year olds in public. douchebag main protagonists drymounts women. end of episode. hm, that's about it.

- Loved Nurse Jackie - terrible

- united states of terra - terrible

- Pushing Daisies - they cancelled it?? fudge. i should have seen that coming. it was just too good.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:01 pm

iratasan wrote:the big bang theory
Can't stand this show. One of the worst on tv. The "hot" chick isn't even hot either.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
yosi
Art Connoisseur

Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:03 pm

iratasan wrote:
machination wrote:
- enrourage - does anybody even still watch this? sum up for every episode: bunch of douchebags and the protagonist's douche manager behave like 6 year olds in public. douchebag main protagonists drymounts women. end of episode. hm, that's about it.
I thought the first couple of seasons were really fun. But it has gotten very tired the last two seasons.