the official TV discussion thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Codeblue wrote:I decided to watch this after all the praise here. I had initially dismissed it since the previews made it look like another slapstick Apatow jawn, which I don't need. I wasn't particularly familiar with Holmes other than his last stand up, which I did find funny, but still couldn't get over the Apatow association. I wish I had started watching sooner. I'm up to season 2, and it's much better than I was expecting. So far, all of the other standups involved really make it outstanding. As a former Sarah Silverman show fan, I thought it was hilarious that they had Steve Agee still crashing at her place. Other standouts so far that come to mind are the dick pic bit and the sit pee.
the sit pee thing had me laughing for sure; the Bill Burr episodes were probably my favorite.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:02 pm

Thanks for positing this. Looks interesting. Hadn't heard of it before but added it to my watchlist for when it drops in June.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2019 11:40 am

jjbehren wrote:But the episode where Pete sits down with Kat at the bar and they randomly have Amy Schumer ripping on him at the end, what was up with that? How'd she get there? It didn't work at all.
I finished the show last night, and this was probably one of the only sequences I can recall that stood out as being really awkward and piss poor. Overall, it seemed like he knew the show was probably ending that season and I think it had a solid ending. I'm sure they could have figured out how to drag it on for another couple seasons (he continues to get bigger and bigger, has some setbacks, breaks up and makes up with Ali again), but I don't think it would be nearly as compelling. For the record, I found Jamie Lee great in this show, and hope she gets a lot more work from it in the future.

P.S. Who has another good half hour comedy for me to watch? I watched a few eps of High Maintenance and it was ok but I'm not sure it's worth continuing.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 1:33 pm

Chernobyl ep 1 was intense. Loving it, three thumbs up!
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!
finneganm
Art Freak

Tue May 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Well done
That's what she said
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 2:11 pm

Codeblue wrote:
jjbehren wrote:But the episode where Pete sits down with Kat at the bar and they randomly have Amy Schumer ripping on him at the end, what was up with that? How'd she get there? It didn't work at all.
I finished the show last night, and this was probably one of the only sequences I can recall that stood out as being really awkward and piss poor. Overall, it seemed like he knew the show was probably ending that season and I think it had a solid ending. I'm sure they could have figured out how to drag it on for another couple seasons (he continues to get bigger and bigger, has some setbacks, breaks up and makes up with Ali again), but I don't think it would be nearly as compelling. For the record, I found Jamie Lee great in this show, and hope she gets a lot more work from it in the future.

P.S. Who has another good half hour comedy for me to watch? I watched a few eps of High Maintenance and it was ok but I'm not sure it's worth continuing.
High Maintenance took me a few tries to get into, but The Guy (Ben Shapiro) is so goddamn low-key funny that I really enjoy it now. Some of the "stories" are not enjoyable at all and I want to punch a lot of the hipster/millenials in the face, but there's always one bit of The Guy per show that makes me laugh out loud or really like his character because he's such a good guy. If you have HBO Go or Now, the little 10 minute episodes that are led off by Shapiro and his wife/girfriend/co-creator/co-writer/whatever are pretty entertaining too.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Tue May 07, 2019 3:29 pm

Codeblue wrote: P.S. Who has another good half hour comedy for me to watch? I watched a few eps of High Maintenance and it was ok but I'm not sure it's worth continuing.
I'm also halfway through the first season of that Amazon Prime show Catastrophy . . . it's pretty funny. Dark and uncomfortable, but funny.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Tue May 07, 2019 3:34 pm

Loved Catastrophe. Too bad it's finished.
RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.
fredo
Art God

Thu May 23, 2019 10:13 pm

fredo wrote:I enjoyed the season finale of Killing Eve. Not super interested in carrying the plot into S2 though
I was wrong. S2 is super watchable so far. The assassin is awesome.

Also, first ep of the new Catch-22 bodes well.
just a foil for me today, thanks
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Thu May 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Really, ya like this season? Seems almost like a parody of itself.
fredo
Art God

Thu May 23, 2019 11:50 pm

You know me - I wanted to dislike it. And the Eve character has def slipped, but...still totally watchable. Prob'ly helps that I am in love with the killer.
just a foil for me today, thanks
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 am

Anyone watch The Alienst?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 25, 2019 11:43 am

Naw, but I watched the Alienist.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Sat May 25, 2019 12:14 pm

How was that one?
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

Sat May 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Very very (very) slow burn, but worth a look if ya can hang in there.