Ready Player One - Reviews and Spoilers

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Image

Never read book, now I don't want to, rather let film play out the plot line. I'm optimistic it'll be a fun romp, if nothing else.

Be interesting to see if Spielberg has the power to pull in audience like days of old, based on this property and his skills with action/adventure.

Indy 5 budget and green light may hinge on this.

Still not seen a great poster or print yet.
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 25054
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby greenhorn1 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I really enjoyed the book but have no interest in seeing this based on the trailers. I'm sure I still will eventually. Hopefully it's better than it seems.
User avatar
greenhorn1
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8727
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 am
ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:06 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:I really enjoyed the book but have no interest in seeing this based on the trailers. I'm sure I still will eventually. Hopefully it's better than it seems.


Curious, what about the trailers is off-putting? Too chintzy or just not as you imagined?
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 25054
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby jlabbate on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:08 pm

read the book..loved it..plan on seeing the movie this weekend or next
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15937
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby greenhorn1 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:11 pm

2 things I think. First not as much focus on the part of the story I liked best (Easter Egg hunt) and second I guess the visuals seem excessive in what is supposed to be a VR online game. The movie just seems like a throw everything at the wall CGI fest. I just hope there is story to back it up and not just a string of action scenes.
User avatar
greenhorn1
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8727
Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 am
ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby IWish on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm

The book was good. I liked it. It's a bit disappointing to see the movie reviews. I'm going to go see it anyway.
IWish
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9602
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 12:23 am

Postby pjsteelerfan on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:2 things I think. First not as much focus on the part of the story I liked best (Easter Egg hunt) and second I guess the visuals seem excessive in what is supposed to be a VR online game. The movie just seems like a throw everything at the wall CGI fest. I just hope there is story to back it up and not just a string of action scenes.


Funny, when I read the book, I thought the VR/Visuals for the Oasis were supposed to be super advanced and almost life like. Especially compared to what VR is today. so I figure the CGI should work.

I do agree on the easter egg hunt, worries me they can't possibly fit the story from the book into a 2 hour movie. Kind of wish this would have been adapted by HBO or someone as a series.
User avatar
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 am

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm

jlabbate wrote:read the book..loved it..plan on seeing the movie this weekend or next
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby jeffzilla on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 pm

The book is amazing. From jump I was iffy as all the trailers seem like the story has changed to fit into a movie-format arc. Will def see it but I'm sure I'll come out thinking they should have stayed true to the book and make it a long format series as others have mentioned
User avatar
jeffzilla
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:12 am

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14442
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby rubberneck on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:19 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).


:pint: :clap:
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 25054
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby pjsteelerfan on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).


that's good to know. Looking forward to this weekend.
User avatar
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1116
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:00 am

Postby afrosteeziac on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).

This is very reassuring, thank you RA :pint:
User avatar
afrosteeziac
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2734
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Atlanta, GA

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am

:pint:

I'm interested to see how fans of the book react. I'm also curious to hear what didn't make the movie - which references they couldn't use and such. The movie manages to find a cool 80s tone, like Bill & Ted. The audience was really into it.

The biggest disappointment was from the people who sat through the credits expecting another scene and leaving empty-handed. I haven't seen so many people peeved at this before. A phrase I heard numerous times was "How is a movie about Easter eggs gonna have no Easter egg at the end??" (It's unfathomable!) As a person who stays through the credits at every movie (simply to read the credits), I took a little joy in their dissatisfaction. :lol:
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14442
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby rubberneck on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 am

RottenAtom wrote::pint:

I'm interested to see how fans of the book react. I'm also curious to hear what didn't make the movie - which references they couldn't use and such. The movie manages to find a cool 80s tone, like Bill & Ted. The audience was really into it.

The biggest disappointment was from the people who sat through the credits expecting another scene and leaving empty-handed. I haven't seen so many people peeved at this before. A phrase I heard numerous times was "How is a movie about Easter eggs gonna have no Easter egg at the end??" (It's unfathomable!) As a person who stays through the credits at every movie (simply to read the credits), I took a little joy in their dissatisfaction. :lol:


Image
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 25054
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Next

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron