Ready Player One - Reviews and Spoilers

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:53 pm

Never read book, now I don't want to, rather let film play out the plot line. I'm optimistic it'll be a fun romp, if nothing else.

Be interesting to see if Spielberg has the power to pull in audience like days of old, based on this property and his skills with action/adventure.

Indy 5 budget and green light may hinge on this.

Still not seen a great poster or print yet.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby greenhorn1 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:01 pm

I really enjoyed the book but have no interest in seeing this based on the trailers. I'm sure I still will eventually. Hopefully it's better than it seems.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:06 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:I really enjoyed the book but have no interest in seeing this based on the trailers. I'm sure I still will eventually. Hopefully it's better than it seems.

Curious, what about the trailers is off-putting? Too chintzy or just not as you imagined?
rubberneck
Art God

Postby jlabbate on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:08 pm

read the book..loved it..plan on seeing the movie this weekend or next
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby greenhorn1 on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:11 pm

2 things I think. First not as much focus on the part of the story I liked best (Easter Egg hunt) and second I guess the visuals seem excessive in what is supposed to be a VR online game. The movie just seems like a throw everything at the wall CGI fest. I just hope there is story to back it up and not just a string of action scenes.
greenhorn1
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage
ISO Horkey Stacy Lowery Paleo Deck. $$$$$$$ (or trade)

Postby IWish on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:15 pm

The book was good. I liked it. It's a bit disappointing to see the movie reviews. I'm going to go see it anyway.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby pjsteelerfan on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:38 pm

greenhorn1 wrote:2 things I think. First not as much focus on the part of the story I liked best (Easter Egg hunt) and second I guess the visuals seem excessive in what is supposed to be a VR online game. The movie just seems like a throw everything at the wall CGI fest. I just hope there is story to back it up and not just a string of action scenes.

Funny, when I read the book, I thought the VR/Visuals for the Oasis were supposed to be super advanced and almost life like. Especially compared to what VR is today. so I figure the CGI should work.

I do agree on the easter egg hunt, worries me they can't possibly fit the story from the book into a 2 hour movie. Kind of wish this would have been adapted by HBO or someone as a series.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:48 pm

jlabbate wrote:read the book..loved it..plan on seeing the movie this weekend or next
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby jeffzilla on Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:15 pm

The book is amazing. From jump I was iffy as all the trailers seem like the story has changed to fit into a movie-format arc. Will def see it but I'm sure I'll come out thinking they should have stayed true to the book and make it a long format series as others have mentioned
jeffzilla
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:59 pm

Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:19 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

Enjoyed the fudge out of it. Fun flick that had me grinning in stretches. Not without its faults, but I didn't feel the need to nitpick it (or to try and catch all of the references). Looking forward to a second viewing (and potentially/eventually reading the book).

:pint: :clap:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby pjsteelerfan on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 am

RottenAtom wrote:Just saw it. Went in knowing nothing about it. Didn't read the book. Didn't see the trailer. Just knew that there would be a bunch of references to pop culture. Didn't have huge expectations.

that's good to know. Looking forward to this weekend.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:53 am

This is very reassuring, thank you RA :pint:
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:27 am

:pint:

I'm interested to see how fans of the book react. I'm also curious to hear what didn't make the movie - which references they couldn't use and such. The movie manages to find a cool 80s tone, like Bill & Ted. The audience was really into it.

The biggest disappointment was from the people who sat through the credits expecting another scene and leaving empty-handed. I haven't seen so many people peeved at this before. A phrase I heard numerous times was "How is a movie about Easter eggs gonna have no Easter egg at the end??" (It's unfathomable!) As a person who stays through the credits at every movie (simply to read the credits), I took a little joy in their dissatisfaction. :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:34 am

RottenAtom wrote::pint:

I'm interested to see how fans of the book react. I'm also curious to hear what didn't make the movie - which references they couldn't use and such. The movie manages to find a cool 80s tone, like Bill & Ted. The audience was really into it.

The biggest disappointment was from the people who sat through the credits expecting another scene and leaving empty-handed. I haven't seen so many people peeved at this before. A phrase I heard numerous times was "How is a movie about Easter eggs gonna have no Easter egg at the end??" (It's unfathomable!) As a person who stays through the credits at every movie (simply to read the credits), I took a little joy in their dissatisfaction. :lol:

rubberneck
Art God

Next

Return to Cinema/TV