Annihilation (Spoilers)

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 pm

Holy drymount. Discuss.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:52 pm

Thought it was great. The book is way more cerebral and the story is much different but the overall theme remains intact. Good adaptation by Garland.

Are we allowed to post spoilers in here?
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:56 pm

Absolutely - anyone upset about coming into a movie specific thread and finding spoilers can direct their anger my way.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:03 pm

going to see this on Wednesday..thanks moviepass! :pint:
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:56 pm

I loved it, some of the sequences were amazing (bear, the ending). The alien(s) (?) are creating anew, I didn't sense anything particularly or purposely sinister, but in the ending Oscar Isaac looked pretty sinister! It's clear he's a clone at the end- is Lena (Portman) also a clone? Or are they "in her" and she's becoming one? Do they become humans or do they replicate humans, meaning it's not really her at the end? Or do they both become and replicate?
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:06 pm

I mean, it was clear during the film that her cells were abnormal, so at the very least 'it' is now a part of her. She also has Anya's tattoo at the conclusion, so she isn't entirely "herself" even if not completely replicated. But someone put a grenade on that creature from a tool music video in the lighthouse. I don't get the impression that whatever force is behind the shimmer is evil, or even has any intention at all. It is merely executing a function, much like many ecosystems on earth that just go about their functioning without value assigned to their actions at all.

It's also interesting to note they woke up and mentioned they had been there for 4-5 days but nobody remembered a thing. So maybe the team in the film were just clones the whole time. And were replaced during those lost days.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby PrintNoob87 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:44 pm

Yeah, I think the two things you can fairly concretely take away from the end are that Isaac's character was a clone and Lena was a mutated (still mutating?) version of her original self. Beyond that, I have no drymounting clue. Do they just go on existing now as if nothing ever happened? Do they have the abilities to continue affecting people/things around them like the shimmer did? If so, is that something that they feel compelled to do like some sort of instilled purpose?

Wild, inventive movie that I loved more than anything I've seen in a really, really long time.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby Kramerica on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:28 pm

It'll be interesting to see if Garland had anything else planned. He mentioned creating it based off of only the first book, not knowing it would be a trilogy when he first wrote the adaptation. I'm not sure if he plans on continuing the series.
Kramerica
Art Freak

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:44 pm

Kramerica wrote:It'll be interesting to see if Garland had anything else planned. He mentioned creating it based off of only the first book, not knowing it would be a trilogy when he first wrote the adaptation. I'm not sure if he plans on continuing the series.

He did an AMA on reddit a couple weeks ago and he made it sound like he's got no intentions for anything beyond this. Said he's only read the first book, not the others, and hinted at him not doing anything else with it, but who knows.

redditor wrote:How different is it adapting a book than adapting a story you came up with? Did you meet Jeff VanderMeer and have you read the series?
I love your work!

Alex Garland wrote:Definitely different. More intimidating to do adaptations, so you have to kind of jam it out of your mind. I have met Jeff - he's amazing, and very creatively generous. But was just adapting the first, so that's what I read. Maybe other people will do the others.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Saw it this morning and really enjoyed it. Haven;t read the books so I;'m not sure if some of the questions we are asking have answers there or if the changes in the film present new questions to those who have even read them. What I am curious about is if all of Portman's recounting is true, more specifically the final moments with the creature. Is she explaining it to the group in a way that makes her seem like she is the real one? It looks like she had the same shimmer in her eyes as Kane at the end. Is that a result of the alien not telling the truth in the story, or her character just slowly becoming part of the system without it making an actual clone? Really feel like reading the book now though. Also clear Garland would kill a Last of Us movie.
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby thisisjosh on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:34 pm

no spoilers from this point forward.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Postby afrosteeziac on Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:37 pm

thisisjosh wrote:no spoilers from this point forward.

?? Thought this was a discussion thread? What exactly do you mean?
afrosteeziac
Art Expert

Postby PrintNoob87 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Yeah, drymount that. I wanted a thread where you could actually discuss the movie.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby thisisjosh on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:25 am

Now now, let’s tone it down boys. That’ll be all for today.
thisisjosh
Art Expert

Postby theperfecttree on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm

get outta here thisisjosh :P

---

saw it last night.. and I need to see it again to figure out what I think. Amazing movie though.

Can't wait to see whatever comes next from Alex Garland and Taylor Sheridan these days.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Next

Return to Cinema/TV