Media: Lets get physical!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 pm

Still like to control my A/V selection and I agree with the article wrt always having the availability of films/shows:

http://collider.com/why-you-should-keep ... ical-media

Extras espc commentary are a key reason for collecting. I will confess not upgrading to Blu or 4K tho. Upscaled DVD's mean I'm not rebuying my collection all over, VHS to DVD was traumatic enuff.

I understand the improved fidelity argument but an engaging film means I don't really care about the extra definition tbh.

Also remember I grew up with movies taped off TV in the analog transmission days. Snow, ghosting and weather fluctuations, along with pausing the video on ad breaks, were all part of the viewing experience... 8)
rubberneck
Art God

Postby ArchibaldTuttle on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:48 pm

I never know what my internet connection is gonna do and sometimes the streaming quality is worse than a VHS. I still buy the occasional Bluray for things I care about watching in high quality (recently BR2049 for example). At least once a week I find myself using a physical disc when Comcast is too slow to deal with.

For an older movie, if there's a choice between a digital rental and buying a used DVD for $3 I choose the latter.
ArchibaldTuttle
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:08 pm

I spend enough time with media being handled digitally and on hard copy that I'm pretty anal-retentive about keeping a hard copy of anything I like. Even digital media has to exist on a physical item with a shelf-life and/or risk of damage, might as well contain it on a disc.

In the event of the apocalypse I'm sure they can be sharpened to decent weapons.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby chevyav53 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:17 pm

WTF Air Force One is not available to stream... has the world gone mad....is there a poster for that movie yet, know the Harrison fan boys be waiting for it :D

I still like the conveniences of streaming. Was watching Last Crusade last weekend... by the way forgot some of the scenes and exposed my 2 1/2yr old to Nazi'a getting mowed down... wife was not happy..... but the quality was amazing streaming, the digital enhancements were top notch.
chevyav53
Art Connoisseur

Postby DonPiano on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:47 pm

Streaming is nice, that's for sure, but as we move from film, to Beta, to VHS, to laserdisc, to DVD, to Bluray, to 4KHD, to whatever's next, and then to streaming... more and more films get lost to time. There are films that only existed on Beta, or have never been released on some kind of home format after their theatrical screening.

I fear the fact that so few films before the 80's are easily available on streaming services in America. Outside of America, you've got buckleys if you think they're going to be available without a VPN.

DVD and Bluray all the way.
DonPiano
Art Expert

AB Film Review

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby DonPiano on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:51 pm

Also, goddamn this Lady Macbeth cover is sublime:

DonPiano
Art Expert

AB Film Review

Postby SPAC04 on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm

Big advocate of physical media, have physical copies of my favorite Directors works as well as choice HBO shows (Soprano's, Deadwood, The Wire). I enjoy Director commentary, a feature that seems to be disappearing from physical copies of films.

SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby DonPiano on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Even Criterion have slowed their roll down on commentaries.
DonPiano
Art Expert

AB Film Review

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:55 am

I like physical too, I don't necessarily upgrade all my dvds to blu or all of my blu to 4k, but when blus came out I started buying those over dvds in most (not all) cases, and I'm starting to dabble in 4k finally for films that I think will be epic. Lots of times the 4k price isn't that much more than the blu anyway so it's okay to me.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby jmagee87 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 pm

I went fully digital, got rid of all physical copies. No space for them. But I dont depend on streaming for my digital stuff. All my stuff is stored on a server I have at home. So I've got my own copies and am not dependent on the internet or streaming services to be up to watch something
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby hunterjax on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:17 pm

jmagee87 wrote:I went fully digital, got rid of all physical copies. No space for them. But I dont depend on streaming for my digital stuff. All my stuff is stored on a server I have at home. So I've got my own copies and am not dependent on the internet or streaming services to be up to watch something

This is what I'm working towards. I still buy Criterion of stuff I really want and even though I don't yet own a 4K tv I've been getting some more recent stuff in 4K to "future proof."

Do you have your server hardwired to your TV or are you doing it over wifi?
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby jmagee87 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm

hunterjax wrote:
jmagee87 wrote:I went fully digital, got rid of all physical copies. No space for them. But I dont depend on streaming for my digital stuff. All my stuff is stored on a server I have at home. So I've got my own copies and am not dependent on the internet or streaming services to be up to watch something

This is what I'm working towards. I still buy Criterion of stuff I really want and even though I don't yet own a 4K tv I've been getting some more recent stuff in 4K to "future proof."

Do you have your server hardwired to your TV or are you doing it over wifi?

Server and Apple TV are both wired into a network switch in my tv cabinet. So it runs across my network
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Return to Cinema/TV