Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby matowest on Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:37 pm

35mmpaul wrote:Mary Poppins Returns was a goddamn delight. Emily Blunt is so great in it.

It's true
matowest
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:21 pm

hunterjax wrote:The Mule was pretty good . . . no need to rush to the theater to see it, would be just as good to watch at home when it gets to VOD or even cable. But I liked it better than Gran Torino if that says anything, I don't know. Clint Eastwood plays sort of himself which boils down to a very likable guy who's actually a pretty selfish asshole at heart, but he knows it.

I just saw this yesterday and concur. Although, not as much Bradley Copper as one might expect going in to it. Solid film however, but as you said, nothing special. Seeing AQUAMAN on Friday and hoping to see VOX LUX as well if I can later this week.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby deancc on Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:11 pm

Spider-man in the Spider-verse is certainly worth seeing in a theatre. Like most super hero movies, I didn't feel very emotionally invested but it it FUN, and funny and I'd never seen animation like it before.

As for animation that I was emotionally invested in, I watched The Breadwinner on Netflix last week. Solid animation in the Cartoon Saloon style (Song of the Sea and The Secret of Kells). Pretty great. My only grip is that it seems to be only available in English, obviously not the primary language in Afghanistan.
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby 35mmpaul on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:31 am

Spidey was really great. saw in big ole IMAX 3D and it looked stupendous.

Did what very few comic book movies of late have done which is read some of the comics they reference.

Also saw Mortal Engines and its fine. If you REALLLY like steam punk aesthetic check it out. can't reccomend it to many. its very very self serious in parts.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby DonPiano on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Aquaman is equal parts horrible and stunning. It's so scattershot and muddled with what it wants to do that it just becomes a boring mess. Good looking climax though.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:19 am

Finally got to catch Shoplifters last night and loved it. BUT it’s really drymounting frustrating that I made it 7 months since Cannes without knowing anything about it only to see a trailer for it before Roma 2 weeks ago and the trailer was like 50% made up of scenes from the last 15 minutes of the goddamn film.

They did show a trailer for Cold War - which seemed mostly devoid of plot points so hopefully the same can’t be said of it - so I’m hopeful that the theater will be showing it in the near future.

I probably only saw maybe 10 new films this year, but the five that really stand out for me (in no order) are: Burning, Roma, Shoplifters, Annihilation, and The Endless. If I’m completely honest I’d say that The Endless was my favorite thing I saw this year.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:12 am

Saw a few movies this week: THE MULE, VOX LUX, AQAUMAN and MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS. THE MULE was good. Clint Eastwood's typical self. This film was inspired by a true story and the ending was pretty heartfelt. VOX LUX is a somewhat powerful film in it's own right and I would like to have a second viewing of it soon. AQUAMAN, while the visual effects were beautiful, the story was boring and coming in at about 2 hours and 20 minutes, I was ready for it to be over sooner rather than later. Finally, MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS was an interesting political movie starring two strong female leads in Margot Robbie and Saoirse Ronan. There wasn't as much of Robbie as I was hoping for and the betrayal by the many of Saoirse' "allies" was bitter to witness over and over again.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:42 am

I saw Vox Lux a few weeks back and strongly disliked it. It wasn't offensively bad, but overall just felt really misguided and unimaginative. Had nothing new or interesting to say about pop music, celebrity, or fame. The greatest failure is the musical performance in the film is a tepid as room temperature water.

And in a year with movies like A Star is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody, you're musical performances better be at least entertaining. Vox Lux just didn't move the needle at all musically or visually in its performance.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:56 am

35mmpaul wrote:I saw Vox Lux a few weeks back and strongly disliked it. It wasn't offensively bad, but overall just felt really misguided and unimaginative. Had nothing new or interesting to say about pop music, celebrity, or fame. The greatest failure is the musical performance in the film is a tepid as room temperature water.

And in a year with movies like A Star is Born, and Bohemian Rhapsody, you're musical performances better be at least entertaining. Vox Lux just didn't move the needle at all musically or visually in its performance.

Fair enough. Yes, the musical performance at the end was a dud when compared to STAR or BOHEMIAN. I didn't care for some of the underlining themes of the movie. I find it to be somewhat anti-gun and anti-religion and while yes, as a whole it wasn't anything earth shattering, I still feel it had its moments.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Minolta70 on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Cold War overrated, bad movie, visually stunning but dramatic plot its ineffective.
Minolta70
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:36 pm

Minolta70 wrote:Cold War overrated, bad movie, visually stunning but dramatic plot its ineffective.

the ending really lost me.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 pm

Aquaman was big and wet. on paper none of it should work, but damn James Wan turned in a solid flick. Very sweaty in parts.

But for as silly as the source material is they really nailed something that just shouldn't work. but it won't work for everyone.
Last edited by 35mmpaul on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby deancc on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:27 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Finally got to catch Shoplifters last night and loved it. BUT it’s really drymounting frustrating that I made it 7 months since Cannes without knowing anything about it only to see a trailer for it before Roma 2 weeks ago and the trailer was like 50% made up of scenes from the last 15 minutes of the goddamn film.

They did show a trailer for Cold War - which seemed mostly devoid of plot points so hopefully the same can’t be said of it - so I’m hopeful that the theater will be showing it in the near future.

I probably only saw maybe 10 new films this year, but the five that really stand out for me (in no order) are: Burning, Roma, Shoplifters, Annihilation, and The Endless. If I’m completely honest I’d say that The Endless was my favorite thing I saw this year.

The Cold War trailer is great - true indication of the style of the film without really giving much indication of story, which is my favourite kind. Don't be put off by naysayers - the movie rules.

I hadn't really paid much attention to The Endless. I guess I should put it on my list.

Caught up on a few recently:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Enjoyed it all. Gloriously shot. Funny in typical dark Coen style. Wasn't too into the songs. Tom Waits is perfect. The Zoe Kazan story is one of the best things I've seen this year.

Custody (Xavier Legrand) - Damn! This was an experience. Highly recommend going into this knowing nothing at all about it, except (obviously) it's about parents that want custody of a child.
I got interested in seeing this after seeing Legrand's short film Just Before Losing Everything. It's a prelude to Custody and amazing also, but you'd probably have a better experience with Custody without seeing the short first.

Very good but not making a 'favourites' list - I Dream in Another Language, BPM, Loveless
Zama - I've seen four Martel films now. While I can appreciate, I just can't really get into them. That said, I feel Zama would improve on multiple viewings.

Hoping to catch The Favourite in the coming week.
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:27 am

deancc wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Finally got to catch Shoplifters last night and loved it. BUT it’s really drymounting frustrating that I made it 7 months since Cannes without knowing anything about it only to see a trailer for it before Roma 2 weeks ago and the trailer was like 50% made up of scenes from the last 15 minutes of the goddamn film.

The Cold War trailer is great - true indication of the style of the film without really giving much indication of story, which is my favourite kind. Don't be put off by naysayers - the movie rules.

I hadn't really paid much attention to The Endless. I guess I should put it on my list.

Caught up on a few recently:
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - Enjoyed it all. Gloriously shot. Funny in typical dark Coen style. Wasn't too into the songs. Tom Waits is perfect. The Zoe Kazan story is one of the best things I've seen this year.

Custody (Xavier Legrand) - Damn! This was an experience. Highly recommend going into this knowing nothing at all about it, except (obviously) it's about parents that want custody of a child.
I got interested in seeing this after seeing Legrand's short film Just Before Losing Everything. It's a prelude to Custody and amazing also, but you'd probably have a better experience with Custody without seeing the short first.

Very good but not making a 'favourites' list - I Dream in Another Language, BPM, Loveless
Zama - I've seen four Martel films now. While I can appreciate, I just can't really get into them. That said, I feel Zama would improve on multiple viewings.

Hoping to catch The Favourite in the coming week.

ditto on Custody! It took so long for this to be available in the US, so glad it finally is and it lived up to all of my expectations. I need to see the short film now, wasn't aware of that bit. I'm also with you on Cold War, too. As far as Zama goes, I said in another thread (maybe this one) that it's in the next 3 or so films on my list, and luckily it's right there free on Amazon Prime video. Very excited to give it a go.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Was thinking of going to the movies tonight. Nothing but kids fudge and garbage playing. Oof.
Codeblue
Yaks 2 Much

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV