Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby DonPiano on Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:29 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Bums me out to say this but hold the dark and Mandy are the biggest disappointments of 2018....so far

Haven't watched Hold the Dark yet, but yeah, Mandy wasn't my thing.

Equally not my thing - First Man. A real clusterfuck of a film.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby Creation88 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:42 am

saw Fahrenheit 11/9 on Friday.
admittedly there are some throw away moments/stunts that do not help MM's case or message but overall the story is very interesting. The gist is that he compares the disasters of Flint to the broader country and weaves in how the current administration could take us on a darker path and past administrations including Clinton/Obama set the stage for the current admin. He gives great examples of people fighting back as well. Good film, not great, but great message.
Creation88
Art Expert

FS: BTTF II variant

Postby luderico on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:57 am

Had some expectations after Blue Ruin and Green Room. These two, specially the latter one ar gold.
But Hold the Dark was ok. Was an half hour too long. All the killing felt kind of unnecessary. Just for the violence factor.
luderico
Art Connoisseur

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 pm

Holy got damn fudge Sicario 2 was a drymounting dumpster fire. After the first 45, I was into it. I thought it started fairly strong. Then the main objective is set into motion and nothing else related to it happens. The movie goes completely off the rails and becomes a complete fudge show. Nothing that occurs in the second half of the films makes any drymounting sense. SPOILERS : and LOLOLOL the drymounting turn by Brolin/Del Toro. 1.5 movies spent showing us they don't give a fudge about anything and lack anything resembling a moral compass only for them to discover a moral compass in hour 2 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and BDT decides he wants to train the kid who shot him in the face? OH OK :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS Satans Slaves drymounting rules. For anyone that is into horror flicks, I recommend it.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:47 pm

Climax
In Fabric
Dogman
Fugue
:drool:

I loved Mandy, still need to watch Hold the Dark.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby MonteAlderaan on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:29 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:Bums me out to say this but hold the dark and Mandy are the biggest disappointments of 2018....so far

My expectations were higher for Mandy based on hype but both disappointed. HtD may be one of the most annoying films of the year. It's never sure what story it wants to tell and the characters are utterly hollow. Mandy was just more fanboy bullshit with a few nice shots here and there. All these directors who think they can shove their influences in your face a la Tarantino and wind up with something good...
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby sixstringer on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:43 am

White Boy Rick would've been a killer Netflix series. As a 2hr movie it's kind of a mess.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Postby HenryGaleWasHere on Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm

MonteAlderaan wrote:HtD may be one of the most annoying films of the year. It's never sure what story it wants to tell and the characters are utterly hollow.

Agree. It seemed like it was going to be kinda like Wind River or something, but then it just kinda aimlessly wandered for 2 hours.
HenryGaleWasHere
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:07 pm

VENOM

Ok, so you knew it wasn't going to be Marvel quality going in; but it also wasn't FANTASTIC FOUR/DC level bad either. It's a funny, decently enjoyable ride if you go in with those expectations. The studio went with the PG-13 rating to appeal to a wider audience and I'm not sure a R rating would have done much more for it. Tom Hardy and Michelle Williams are better than this and terribly underutilized. I am a Tom Hardy fan and I can honestly say, I think this was one of his movies that wasn't great. Also, there were 2 credits scenes. The first was kinda cool with a funny cameo but the 2nd was absolute garbage! I doubt a sequel gets made and wonder what it'll do for Sony's plans for their non-Spider-Man Universe? 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:39 pm

I've seen a lot in the last couple of weeks, my thoughts:

Finally caught the following:

BlacKkKlansman- I'm a huge Spike Lee fan, but I really didn't like Chi-Raq, so I was thrilled to be completely moved by BkK. The last 10 minutes are super powerful, I was stuck like a kid playing freeze tag even after the credits. Wow.

A Simple Favor- Man, I loved this movie! Great dialogue and fine acting. What a treat.

Mandy- I didn't know what to expect going in and I was satisfied with a unique, batshit crazy, metal as drymount flick. Didn't love it, but I definitely enjoyed the experience and would like to see it again.

Roman J. Israel, Esq.- This managed to slip by me last year and when I discovered it's by the director of Nightcrawler (a goddamn masterpiece and one of my favorites of the last 10 years) I had to rectify that. Low key good with a killer Denzel performance. I dug it.

Fantastic Fest:

Saw 35 films and liked all of them but 3. Starfish and Madam Yankalova's Fine Literature Club were underwhelming. There was only one I really didn't like.

Bad Times at the El Royale- I seem to be in the minority on this, but I really didn't like this flick. I hate movies that try so desperately to be cool and just aren't, and this was a wannabe try-hard that never came together for me. Takes itself way too seriously and I didn't give a damn about any of the characters or their plights. (Somebody KILL THEM ALL I was thinking.) I had similar reactions to Smoking Aces and Seven Psychopaths, so if you're into those maybe you'll dig this fake ass QT waste of time.

Shadow- Loved it. It gave me chills and had me hollering in excitement. Zhang Yimou's in fine form and his limited color palette is gorgeous.

Burning- A lot of people found this slow burn boring, but I was riveted throughout. Can't wait to see it again. (I should've seen it again instead of Bad Times at the El Royale.)

Mid90s- Jonah Hill's flick is the truth! It smashed its skateboard against my nostalgic bone and I'm a sucker for movies with mostly kids in the major roles. I'll buy this and watch it every year like Dazed and Confused and Everybody Wants Some. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did.

Under the Silver Lake- Nobody seemed to like this as much as me. I really enjoyed it. I don't really know what it was about or what the message was, but man, I had a big grin on my face for most of the movie. It seemed to confuse most people, but I didn't have that reaction. It's a fun, unpredictable ride that people are comparing to Southland Tales, but don't let that dissuade you from giving it a chance. Garfield wasn't great, but if you're a fan of rambling modern noir like Inherent Vice, you might dig it.

Tumbbad- This Indian horror film has a dope concept and it ended up on me and my wife's Top 5 list.

Suspiria- There's a lot I like about it and I want to see it again. It's waay different from the original and I think that left people underwhelmed. I love the look of the film and I like the set up, but I anticipated more in the end. People say it goes super crazy, but I didn't feel that way. People also dig the score, but I thought it could've been better and I wish Yorke didn't put his voice in it. Took me out of a pivotal scene. The most horrific part of the experience was when I bit into my grilled cheese sandwich to discover there was ham in it. I hadn't eaten meat in 5 years and even when I did I always hated ham. I kept thinking about the movie after despite being at a fest watching lots of other movies. Need to see it again to really form my opinion.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote- Skipped Halloween to see this and I'm glad that I did. It was good! Jonathan Pryce's best role in a long time and while it's nowhere near as amazing visually as Gilliams' earlier movies, it did get delightful Gilliamy (Gilliamish?) in the end. My expectations were super low because it could never live up to its storied past, but I liked it.

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn- This is another one I liked more than the average festival attendee. The guy behind The Greasy Strangler's version of a romantic comedy, that is wonderfully odd with super silly characters and more heart than I expected. I loved the score and the tone it gives the film. Emile Hirsch was cracking me up.

Bloodline- Starring Wiliam Scott Thomas or Sean Scott William or Travis Scott Thomas (whoever the guy is from American Pie with 3 first names) as a serial killer with a wife and kid. Hardcore, the opening scene made me want to close my eyes or look away - I can't tell you when the last time that happened was, but I usually watch pretty tame fudge. This movie was entertaining, played great in the midnight slot, has a cool synth score, and wraps things up nicely in the end.

The Bouncer- I skipped Overlord (Nazis + Zombies = massive eye rolls) to see this movie starring JCVD from the director of The Crew (Brasseurs). Check that out if you haven't seen it, it's a tight, little French film that goes hard. The Bouncer was solid too and JCVD is a legit good actor.

Climax- I like Noe because you know you're not just going to watch his films, you're going to experience the fudge out of them. This was no different. I can't say I loved it or that I will be revisiting it often, but I respect the craft and marveled at a filmmaker doing his thing his way with no qualms about anything. Hardcore, unique, and uncompromising. Definitely not for everybody.

In Fabric- More sensuous, hypnotically beautiful fair from the director of The Duke of Burgundy. It was what I expected it to be. Bonus points for slow motion flying jizz.

Other stuff I dug: Dogman, Modest Heroes (Studio Ponoc shorts), The Guilty, Deadly Games, The World is Yours, Slut in a Good Way, and The Quake (sequel to The Wave).

Forgive any typos, I'm out. It's enchilada time! :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:51 pm

A STAR IS BORN

A lot of buzz is surrounding this movie and for good reason too. Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga give powerful performances respectively as a musician on the way out and one on the way up. I've never seen any of the other 3 versions so I went in to this completely blind. And while it's a great and powerful movie and an awesome soundtrack, it's also quite depressing (at least towards the end of the film). Sam Elliott also gives a strong performance as Cooper's brother. I'm sure Cooper and Gaga will receive Oscar nominations for their work and I wouldn't be surprised to see either of them (or both perhaps) walk away with some gold. 7/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RadRacing on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:45 am

Looking for recs...going to check something this weekend. Has anyone seen Collette or Sister Brothers?

thanks!
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 pm

I really liked The Old Man & the Gun and First Man if they're available. They come out tomorrow here.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RadRacing on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I really liked The Old Man & the Gun and First Man if they're available. They come out tomorrow here.

Thanks dude. The Old Man and the Gun is not unfortuneatly. First man is showing all over the city. Did you check it in IMAX?
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:18 pm

RadRacing wrote:Looking for recs...going to check something this weekend. Has anyone seen Collette or Sister Brothers?

thanks!

I really enjoyed Sisters Brothers. It has a good amount to say with out saying it too much. great performances from the whole cast.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV