Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby mossy48 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

worst movie avengers infinity war. nowhere near what happened in the comic books.
yes. i went there.
mossy48
Art Enthusiast

Postby 35mmpaul on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:42 pm

none of any of the movies the have done have closely followed the books. and because of this they work better.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby toobs on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:51 pm

I enjoyed Mile 22, solid action, I liked the ending even though it was done kinda cheaply
toobs
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Ya know they'll put out at least 1 "ZOMG gotta rub mah nuts on another dukes butt to get in line for it" poster.

Postby Dragyn on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 pm

mossy48 wrote:worst movie avengers infinity war. nowhere near what happened in the comic books.
yes. i went there.

not big into comics so it was amazing for me!
Dragyn

Postby RadRacing on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:22 am

A Prayer Before Dawn :clap: :clap: One of those rare cases where the film is MUCH better than the book.

[youtube]Mp88Nuci68c[/youtube]
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby mossy48 on Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:08 pm

35mmpaul wrote:none of any of the movies the have done have closely followed the books. and because of this they work better.

Iron man 2 and 3
Thor 2
Both hulk movies
Guardians 2
All 3 fantastic fours

Would disagree with you as they are some of the worst marvel movies and movies made in general.
mossy48
Art Enthusiast

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:28 pm

THE HAPPYTIME MURDERS

I'll just start out by saying don't waste your time. I'm a big Melissa McCarthy fan and while she's funny, her movies are hit and miss for me and this was definitely a miss. I don't mind the crudeness and it looked funny from the trailers but, like so many comedies today, the funny parts were in the previews. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby brettlv5506 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:59 pm

If you dig non-conventional documentaries, check out "Did You Wonder Who Fired The Gun?" The filmmaker is investigating his great grandfather who murdered a black man, Bill Spann, in Alabama in 1946 and got away with it.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:59 am

My Fantastic Fest preview: http://www.nerdlocker.com/fantastic-fest/2018-preview

The MFAH is playing 20 Bergman films as a part of his centennial celebration. Saw Crisis and Summer Interlude on Friday. Both were impeccably shot.

Way behind on stuff. Hoping to catch 2001 on IMAX, Hereditary at the $1 theater and finally BlacKkKlansman and Crazy Rich Asians this week.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby MonteAlderaan on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:11 am

mossy48 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:none of any of the movies the have done have closely followed the books. and because of this they work better.

Iron man 2 and 3
Thor 2
Both hulk movies
Guardians 2
All 3 fantastic fours

Would disagree with you as they are some of the worst marvel movies and movies made in general.
:pint: Though I still have some love for Ang Lee's Hulk, partially due to its comic-influenced editing.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby hunterjax on Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:52 am

Summer of 84 - I liked it, didn't love it. Will definitely watch again. Definitely a tense movie. Nostalgia factor was well-balanced with a solid story I thought.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby sixstringer on Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:35 pm

dweebofthedead wrote:Watched this fun little doc last night called Filmworker. Pretty cool to get some Kubrick insight and his films from his assistant of 30 years.

Looks like this is streaming now. Def gonna check it out.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:46 am

2001 on IMAX was amazing. If you like Kubrick and have access to a legit IMAX theater, don't miss this. I saw the 70mm unrestored in NYC and that was an incredible, immersive experience. I saw the 70mm unrestored in Houston and it was a tad out of focus and not nearly as amazing as the NYC screening. This IMAX screening was up there with NYC as far as presentation. Different, obviously, but what a way to watch the movie.The image and sound were both very impressive. I've seen that movie dozens of times and there were small details I was noticing for the first time like Dr. Floyd's small hologram tie-thingy that kind of resembles the star gate sequence.

In Houston it's only screening today and tomorrow. Highly recommended. I'm probably going back tonight.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

Saw it twice last weekend in full 10 Story Screen IMAX at lincoln center. It was magnificent. I hope it gets extended another week so i can catch it once more. truly magical.

whats even better is it was paired with the dark knight also and caught that as a double bill. there will probably no equal to that double feature for a while.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby hunterjax on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:15 am

I'll chime in, as I also saw it in IMAX last night and it was simply amazing. I hadn't seen it in the "theater" since college, when our film club ran a 35mm print on a tiny lecture hall screen (back in the early 90s).

I also hadn't watched it at all in 15 years or more, so it was really almost like a first viewing at times for me.

Like the above said, the colors, sound, details. All amazing in IMAX. I wish I could get to it again, but only playing two matinees today and I'm stuck at work.

Jealous of your DK screening, Paul!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV