Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:57 am

Leave No Trace is really good.
Sorry to Bother You is super good.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Sorry to Bother You is super good.

I just saw this yesterday and left the theater thinking, "what the heck did I just watch." :lol: Wasn't a huge fan and the movie took a hard left turn that I did not see coming.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby samjohns123 on Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:08 am

I`ve just seen Escobar and, in my opinion, Narcos is better. What do you think?
samjohns123

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:22 pm

THE EQUALIZER 2

Denzel Washington's first ever sequel in his storied career. I recently rewatched the original to get setup for the sequel, and while the sequel was good, it was predictable (even if the lady sitting next to me didn't find it so); and I enjoyed the first one more. However, the movie begins with a wonderful opening scene on a train in Turkey. More great and brutal action. I love the mannerisms and stoic facial expressions that Denzel portrays in both films. This goes a little bit deeper into his past which I was against. One of the things I enjoyed most about the original was we weren't given a lot of information about his past. He seems to be a mystery. Why does he feel compelled to do right all the time? Why does he help strangers, whom he owes nothing to? Just because he can? I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy made if Denzel was on board as I'd be down for more of Robert McCall's beat downs! 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby michaelmillichamp on Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Since I got AMC A-List I've seen 6 movies, so pretty great value imo.

Jurassic World blows.
Sicario 2 is decent.
Incredibles 2 rules.
Ant-Man and The Wasp is fun.
Sorry To Bother You is drymounting weird in a good way.
Leave No Trace is great.

Going to see MI: Fallout tomorrow followed by Eighth Grade and Hot Summer Nights.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby jlabbate on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Sicario 2 was 1/2 as good as Sicario 1
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby mliddell on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:42 pm

Haven't seen as many as I normally would (just had first child) but Hereditary and Won't you be my Neighbor probably top 2 so far from what I've seen.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 am

lol. what a double feature that would be.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:44 am

BLINDSPOTTING

The previews for this had me somewhat interested and since the surge pricing went into effect in my area and I wasn't able to see the new MISSION IMPOSSIBLE as a result, I took a flyer on this. It was much better than I expected. I thought this was going to be another anti-cop, racial motivated movie. And while the movie does deal with racial tensions, it doesn't smother the viewer with it. The story is about Colin, a recently released felon who has only 3 days left on his probation before he's completely free of his past crime. During this time late at night, driving home from work, he seems a black man run in front of his truck while stopped at a traffic light. Following him is a white police officer who shots the suspect in the back 4 times. Colin is left with a dilemma: does he involve himself and speak up about the shooting, risking the cops retaliating against him by claiming he violated his parole some how and returning him to jail, or does he remain quite? It's an interesting study about a young man, trying to better himself and stay on the right path while at the same time, having the criminal justice system still hoovering over him like an anvil just waiting to be dropped. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:06 am

loved Incredibles 2..maybe even moreso than the OG :shock:
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby michaelmillichamp on Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:47 pm

jlabbate wrote:loved Incredibles 2..maybe even moreso than the OG :shock:

Same.

Mission Impossible Fallout is fantastic. Best action scenes in the series and some really great character development.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:56 pm

michaelmillichamp wrote: Best action scenes in the series.

I concur. Some beautifully shot aerial action scenes.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby brettlv5506 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:31 pm

Watched a few newer ones recently.

Where is Kyra? - Pfeiffer is excellent and the film is pretty miserably depressing. 4 stars

The Devil and Father Amorth - Friedkin does a doc about a "real" exorcism. This is a pile of bullshit. They talk about all these superhuman and mystifying things possessed folks do. When he actually films an exorcism, the lady screams some, that's all. Later, the woman he believes to be possessed, asks to meet him at a church. He goes to meet her and she goes nuts doing all the crazy impossible stuff we've been told about. Thing is, world renowned director, William Friedkin, who has spent a lifetime behind a lens, forgot to bring a camera to this meeting. He didn't even have an camera phone...in the year 2017... You're a drymounting liar Billy. Half a star

Dead Night - Throwback to bizarro horror. Think ReAnimator or Society type stuff. Has some cool practical effects. 3 to 4 stars

Our House - Super derivative horror that offers nothing new. 2 stars
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:09 pm

The Tale is crazy. As someone who watches disturbing films quite a lot, no things seem to affect me as much as disturbing manipulation of a child. Remarkably well made movie but it's hard to say "I really liked" or recommend a movie with darker subject matter like that. Anyway it is really good, based on the true story from the writer/director. It's on HBO
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

THE SPY WHO DUMPED ME

I really did like the pairing of Mila Kunis and Kate McKinnon who's slowly transitioning from SNL to the big screen. These two really feed off of each other and I'm sure the blooper reel would be enjoyable to watch on Blu-Ray/DVD. An original story about a woman (Kunis) who is dumped by her boyfriend, who just happens to work for the CIA. She has no knowledge of this until after their break-up when the people who are trying to kill him, target her as well. Pretty funny movie with some decent action scenes. I did feel the story grew tiresome a little towards the end with the persistent, "who's side is he on" question lingering. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV