Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:14 pm

matowest wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Still waiting on something to dethrone the kings. Annihilation/Paddington 2. :shock:

First Reformed doesn't dethrone those two (I'm in agreement with you on those as best of the year so far), but it's up there. Maybe right behind them.

RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby matowest on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:20 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
matowest wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:Still waiting on something to dethrone the kings. Annihilation/Paddington 2. :shock:

First Reformed doesn't dethrone those two (I'm in agreement with you on those as best of the year so far), but it's up there. Maybe right behind them.

matowest
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:31 pm

:lol:

Well played mato. I'm way behind on movies this year, but those two are both up there for me as well.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby keefdotorg on Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:01 pm

This came out in Estonia last year, but it's only getting distribution this year, and it's drymounting amazing. November (2017):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6164502/

B&W, weirdo magical realist horror, subtitled. It's extremely my jam. It's what would happen if Guy Maddin could make a good movie. Highly recommended.
keefdotorg
Art Expert

Postby matowest on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:21 am

RottenAtom wrote::lol:

Well played mato. I'm way behind on movies this year, but those two are both up there for me as well.

:pint:
matowest
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:20 pm

keefdotorg wrote:This came out in Estonia last year, but it's only getting distribution this year, and it's drymounting amazing. November (2017):

B&W, weirdo magical realist horror, subtitled. It's extremely my jam. It's what would happen if Guy Maddin could make a good movie. Highly recommended.

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. Just viewed the trailer and it looks beautiful. It's available on Prime and just added it to the list!

TAG

The premise here is a little crazy. A group of 5 friends play tag every year during the month of May and one of them (Jeremy Renner) is looking to retire after this last season. Renner has never before been tagged as long as they've been playing so the rest of the group goes to extreme lengths in order to prevent him from retiring with a perfect record. The story actually worked quite well for me. The first time I viewed the trailer I was wondering how this was sustainable as a film but I give director Jeff Tomsic and writers Rob McKittrick, Mark Steilen, Mark Steilen and Russell Adams credit for pulling it off. The cast is well-rounded and seems to bounce off of each other well. Everybody is given roughly the same amount of screen time and for my money, Renner stole the show. How much of this story is true I don't know because some of the things these guys went through in order to tag Renner's character was pretty crazy (and hilarious at the same time). As a quick side note: Jeremy Renner actually broke both of his arms during this film while performing a stunt. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:38 am

keefdotorg wrote:This came out in Estonia last year, but it's only getting distribution this year, and it's drymounting amazing. November (2017):

Glad to hear this is on Prime now - I scheduled plans on three separate nights back in March to go see this and for various reasons had them all fall through. Going to check this out hopefully in the next couple nights.

Really really enjoyed Hereditary - I liked The Witch quite a bit, but liked this one more. Not sure about it being a new horror classic or anything, but I thought it was a great flick. Not anywhere near as brutal as I expected, but was still a good and squirmy watch.

They Remain finally came out on bluray/dvd so I picked it up. Overall was disappointed with it. Has some good moments, and manages to be pretty faithful the Laird Barron short story, but I thought overall the colors were much too bright, where the story (really all Barron stuff) succeeds based on it's grimy obscuration and murkiness. As the movie progressed towards the latter scenes the director chose to default to a lot of unfocused shots to denote the influx of the weird, and I thought it was a lazy mechanic - almost as if he wasn't sure what he wanted to show and instead just showed very little. On the other hand there were a handful of really great scenes where it was obvious there was a more purposeful direction as to exactly what he wanted to denote and those were pretty strong; I also liked both of the actors. I had high hopes for this one; probably too high just due to my love of Barron.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm

GOTTI

This has been getting some pretty bad reviews with it's recent release, however, I was quite surprised by the amount of people at the theater when I saw it (at least three-quarters full). There were a couple of problems with the film that I found. 1) it felt like Travolta was trying to play a gangster. I didn't really buy him as a John Gotti type, so when you can't buy in to the believably of your main character, you're already starting off on the wrong foot. 2) at the start of the film, they introduced a lot of characters, sometimes in a very short amount of time. Some of them played big parts going forward, however, some were never followed up with or heard from again, so really, what was the point of introducing them? Unless you were already familiar with them, you were lost as to their significance to the story. 3) the story jumped around quite a bit. The film opens up with John Jr. visiting his father in prison, telling him about him (Jr.) possibly taking a deal to avoid a longer sentence. The film then proceeds to jump back in time, then forward to father and son prison visit, then back again, etc. etc. Is this film a masterpiece? Hardly. Is it the worst film I've ever seen? Once again, hardly. I went in with low expectations and the film wasn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. 4.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Finally saw Solo and Isle of Dogs this weekend and while i did enjoy both movies, they were both surprisingly easily forgettable and dont hold much replay value
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:35 pm

Someone said Won't you be my neighbor is the paddington 2 of documentaries and it is hard to argue. I really enjoyed it. It was a weird theatrical experience though. The older woman next to me audibly sobbed the entire movie and after the movie ended, the entire theater collectively sighed. Not a dry eye in the room.

Saw tag as well. Had zero expectations but I really liked the cast. Ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

Finally watching the endless tonight. Looking forward to it.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby letstalkprints on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:09 pm

movies are meant to entertain; if you think it was good (you were entertained) then (to you) it was not bad (in which you would have not been entertained)
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:36 pm

35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby brettlv5506 on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Double Lover is probably my favorite so far. It's just so goddamn silly in the best ways. Kinda De Palma and Cronenbergesque. Annihilation and You Were Never Really Here are up there as well for me.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby matowest on Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:15 pm

Really dug American Animals
matowest
Art Expert

Postby michaelmillichamp on Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:53 am

matowest wrote:Really dug American Animals

Just saw it the other day. It was fun but I just didn't really understand why some of the characters did what they did, but I guess since it's based on a true story they might not have had huge motivations or stakes. The Real Warren was a blast.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV