Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby ccsmd598 on Sat May 19, 2018 6:18 am

I really enjoyed A Quiet Place - was pretty awesome that my fiancée and I were the only ones in the theatre when we saw it the other night.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby dweebofthedead on Sat May 19, 2018 11:01 am

Watched this fun little doc last night called Filmworker. Pretty cool to get some Kubrick insight and his films from his assistant of 30 years.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby Count on Sun May 20, 2018 8:27 am

ccsmd598 wrote:I really enjoyed A Quiet Place - was pretty awesome that my fiancée and I were the only ones in the theatre when we saw it the other night.

I enjoyed it a lot as well. Saw it in a near empty cinema on a weekday afternoon. Definitely best seen in a cinema as the sound design plays such an important role in this movie.
Count
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Tue May 22, 2018 10:16 am

Count wrote:
ccsmd598 wrote:I really enjoyed A Quiet Place - was pretty awesome that my fiancée and I were the only ones in the theatre when we saw it the other night.

I enjoyed it a lot as well. Saw it in a near empty cinema on a weekday afternoon. Definitely best seen in a cinema as the sound design plays such an important role in this movie.

saw this over the weekend..solid PG-13 Horror/Thriller
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri May 25, 2018 7:37 am

Went out last night and caught a 10:00 showing of The Endless - I couldn't entrap any friends to go with me, so I went by myself. Had heard nothing about it, but the synopsis had me intrigued:

Following their Lovecraftian modern cult classic SPRING, writer/directors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead star in this AFI Audience Award nominated film as brothers who receive a mysterious message inspiring them to pay a visit to the cult they escaped as children. As unsettling events and phenomena begin to occur, the brothers are forced to question whether the cult’s supernatural beliefs might not be entirely made up - and if, now that they’ve returned, they’ll be allowed to leave again.

Thoroughly enjoyed it - very low budget (though there are some pretty cool effects) but it is based on a great idea, and the script and acting are both really good. I wouldn't call it a horror film, the "weird" (as in weird fiction) tag firmly applies though. Now I need to check out Spring...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Fri May 25, 2018 12:54 pm

jlabbate wrote:
Count wrote:

saw this over the weekend..solid PG-13 Horror/Thriller

I thought it was pretty good, but ultimately fell victim to the "showing too much CGI monster" syndrome that most horror movies seem to do these days.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby RadRacing on Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 pm

^^yea I read it was almost part of the 'Cloverfield' series. Which is in line with that.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri May 25, 2018 1:04 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Went out last night and caught a 10:00 showing of The Endless - I couldn't entrap any friends to go with me, so I went by myself. Had heard nothing about it, but the synopsis had me intrigued:

Following their Lovecraftian modern cult classic SPRING, writer/directors Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead star in this AFI Audience Award nominated film as brothers who receive a mysterious message inspiring them to pay a visit to the cult they escaped as children. As unsettling events and phenomena begin to occur, the brothers are forced to question whether the cult’s supernatural beliefs might not be entirely made up - and if, now that they’ve returned, they’ll be allowed to leave again.

Thoroughly enjoyed it - very low budget (though there are some pretty cool effects) but it is based on a great idea, and the script and acting are both really good. I wouldn't call it a horror film, the "weird" (as in weird fiction) tag firmly applies though. Now I need to check out Spring...

Have you seen resolution?
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri May 25, 2018 1:39 pm

Not yet, no. I'll add it to the list to get to soon.

Movie Trading Company is having their buy 2 get 3 free sale this weekend, and I picked up a stack of Criterion blu's, so that list got crowded all of a sudden.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri May 25, 2018 2:11 pm

SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY

To begin, I've never been heavily invested in the Star Wars spin-off movies and after watching SOLO last night, both this and ROGUE ONE pale in comparison to the saga with the exception of Episode I. Woody Harrleson was his normal, charming self. Donald Glover seamlessly stepped into the role of Lando Calrissian. Alden Ehrenreich did an admiral job as Han Solo, considering the shoes he's having to fill. Emilia Clarke and Paul Bettany were both enjoyable yet forgettable in their respective roles. The droid, in this film L3-37, is always a fan favorite and provides the necessary humor the film needs. And with any movie of this caliber and being made my Disney, the special FX were spot on. With all of the production problems that occurred, they were able to salvage a decent movie out of it. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 pm

DISOBEDIENCE

The tale of a woman, Rachel Weisz, who returns home after the death of her father. She is an Orthodox Jew and the entire community banished her when she was younger for a homosexual episode with another girl. This is her first time home since being banished and the adult version of the young girl whom she had the encounter with is played by Rachel McAdams. With Weisz's return, the old feelings between her and McAdams resurface. It's an interesting story about forbidden love within this religious community. Both Rachel's give good but not great performances. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sat May 26, 2018 12:05 am

Finally got to see Foxtrot, so so good.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby michaelmillichamp on Tue May 29, 2018 2:30 pm

Irishman12 wrote:DISOBEDIENCE

The tale of a woman, Rachel Weisz, who returns home after the death of her father. She is an Orthodox Jew and the entire community banished her when she was younger for a homosexual episode with another girl. This is her first time home since being banished and the adult version of the young girl whom she had the encounter with is played by Rachel McAdams. With Weisz's return, the old feelings between her and McAdams resurface. It's an interesting story about forbidden love within this religious community. Both Rachel's give good but not great performances. 6/10

Just start a blog and link it in your sig, my dude.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Wed May 30, 2018 7:57 am

michaelmillichamp wrote:
Just start a blog and link it in your sig, my dude.

ORRRRR...How about you just DON'T read them if you don't want to?

I enjoy reading them, pretty easy for people to skip over them if they choose to.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Wed May 30, 2018 12:58 pm

Saw Solo and Deadpool 2 this weekend. Both pretty good, fun, enjoyable flicks.

That is all. :)
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV