Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby hunterjax on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:09 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
hunterjax wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Ramen Heads is a solid culinary doc. I highly recommend filling up on the stuff before watching it.

is it streaming? been weirdly obsessed with food docs lately.

Not yet, I don't think. Here's a list of screenings:

https://www.ramenheadsfilm.com/screenings

It's not really an all-encompassing doc on ramen, more of a personal look at the reigning 'Ramen King' of Japan, Osamu Tomito, his shop, and his dedication to his 'art.' Jiro dreams of sushi, Tomito dreams of ramen.

I'm a total sucker for culinary docs - which is weird because I'm a super picky eater and don't eat most of that stuff.

yeah, Ugly Delicious got me into watching all these food docs on Netflix lately. This one sounds like just the kind I am interested in!
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:29 pm

im eating ramen right now!
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 pm

35mmpaul wrote:im eating ramen right now!

Yesss. Ramen is the Bomben (or something...)

We saw that doc at Alamo's Film Club, a weekly screening/discussion on the film. The regular host was away and in his place was a guy who knew absolutely nothing about ramen (or hosting for that matter) and said as much. He began the post-screening discussion by slamming the film without good reason and then asked the audience questions like "Has anyone actually had Ramen? Has anyone been to Japan?" prompting a mass exodus from the theater :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:25 pm

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

This is what Marvel has been building up to for the past decade and I thought they did a really good job with it. The script was strong and humorous. I was a little concerned because sometimes when you have too many characters it can feel bloated and not come across as good as it should have, ala X-MEN: THE LAST STAND and SPIDER-MAN 3. I was really impressed with the way they were able to balance the massive amount of characters and their storylines. It leaves on a pretty good cliffhanger, which is to be expected. Very excited for part 2 next year. Finally, Josh Brolin slayed it as Thanos! His makeup and effects were spot on and he was my favorite part of the movie. 8/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby duckyhoward on Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:43 am

You Were Never Really Here - is well worth a look https://letterboxd.com/film/you-were-never-really-here/
Great score by Jonny Greenwood too
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:47 pm

duckyhoward wrote:You Were Never Really Here - is well worth a look https://letterboxd.com/film/you-were-never-really-here/

I've been wanting to see this but it hasn't been playing close to me. Is it ever going to get a wide distribution or no?
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Fri May 04, 2018 8:09 am

duckyhoward wrote:You Were Never Really Here - is well worth a look https://letterboxd.com/film/you-were-never-really-here/

Saw it last weekend. Agreed good score. It was decent, a little weird at times (not a bad thing). JP was quite good.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby sixstringer on Fri May 04, 2018 8:50 am

Irishman12 wrote:

I've been wanting to see this but it hasn't been playing close to me. Is it ever going to get a wide distribution or no?

Probably not (needs more Transformers/Superheros). I thought it was great but it's def not for everyone.
sixstringer
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri May 04, 2018 2:10 pm

TULLY

I kind of felt the Tully character has the same sort of free spirit as JUNO. Which shouldn't come as much of a surprise since this movie was written by Diablo Cody and directed by Jason Reitman who both respectfully wrote and directed JUNO. I enjoy Charlize Theron's work and mad props to her for putting on 50 pounds for the role. According to Theron she would eat In-N-Out for breakfast and wake up at 2am to eat cold macaroni and cheese that was on a table next to her. She was literally forcing herself to eat, not only to gain the weight but to maintain it. Talk about a dedicated actress. Also, it took her a year and a half to finally take all of the weight off. Other than that the movie was kind of so-so but I gave it a bit of a higher score because the end did have a pretty interesting twist that I did not see coming. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm

^^ How was Mackenzie Davis?
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri May 04, 2018 4:19 pm

RadRacing wrote:^^ How was Mackenzie Davis?

She was good but maybe in it about a third of the movie.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sun May 06, 2018 10:00 pm

OVERBOARD

Another remake that Hollywood continues to churn out falls flat on its face. This is more of a family comedy, which is what I was expecting, but the jokes were pretty lame and only a few times did I actually laugh. A feel good story about how not to allow money to go to your head and to always treat people the right way. The supporting cast is weak with the exception of Mel Rodriguez who plays Bobby. He plays the role of Eva Longoria's husband and they own a pizza shop and construction company together. Bobby gives Leonardo (Eugenio Derbez) a job building a pool while Anna Farris has him living with her, fooling him into thinking he's poor and married to her with 3 kids. Anna Farris is better than this. I hope she gets offered better movies. 4.5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm

BREAKING IN

Gabrielle Union takes her 2 children to her father's house after he recently passed away in order to move everything out to sell it. During this time a group of 4 individuals intend to steal money that is in a safe somewhere in the house. One of the robbers has a conscience and you can pretty much guess where it goes from there. Very little backstory is given to Gabrielle and her family so I found it hard to be emotionally invested in them during their ordeal. Billy Burke plays the main villain, Eddie, and he's really the only minute redeemable aspect of the film. In addition, a weak script delivers very little in terms of suspense or thrills. 4/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Fri May 11, 2018 12:01 pm

LIFE OF THE PARTY

This was a pretty decent comedy. I really enjoy Melissa McCarthy's work as she's one of my favorite comedians and she usually doesn't disappoint, even if the movie does. This one works and has a pretty decent supporting cast including Julie Bowen, Gillian Jacobs, Stephen Root, Maya Rudolph and Chris Parnell. If you've already seen AVENGERS and were still wanting to get out and see something new, I'd give this a chance. 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri May 11, 2018 12:12 pm

Can someone please revoke your movie pass?

Most of these movies aren't even worth watching and you are reviewing them too.

I thought you were never really here was pretty good. Like others have said, I think the editing and the music were the highlights.

Game night was way better than expected. Decided to give it a watch because Bateman/McAdams. The first half was way stronger than the second half but was a pretty fun flick.

The forest of lost souls was also incredible. If you want to watch it, don't watch any trailers. Read the synopsis on letterboxd. It is the only one that doesn't give reveal anything.

Top 3 movies to date : 1. Paddington 2 2. Annihilation 3. Pyewacket.

Revenge is finally out today so I am really looking forward to checking that out.
Last edited by RambosRemodeler on Fri May 11, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV