Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:31 pm

CHAPPAQUIDDICK

This is one of Jason Clarke's better roles. He is cold, apathetic and uncaring at times. I give the costume and makeup people credit as I feel he even looks a little like Ted Kennedy. I was also happy to see Ed Helms branch out into something more dramatic and he does a passable job as the voice of reason during this whole situation. A decent story about power, corruption and politics. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:52 pm

RAMPAGE

Not a bad movie based upon a video game. How often can you say that? Action, humor and good special effects. It's a popcorn action movie for sure but also brings some feelings for these animals, especially George. I did dig Jeffrey Dean Morgan as a smooth talking, southern government man. Besides The Rock he probably stole the show for me. 6/10

BLOCKERS

A decent comedy that had some hits and some misses. I'm glad to see John Cena getting more involved in Hollywood and with decent movies too, not just straight-to-DVD garbage. The trio of parents (Ike Barinholtz, John Cena and Leslie Mann) seemed to have decent chemistry together as well. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:44 pm

TRUTH OR DARE

Blumhouse is kind of hit or miss for me and this was a miss. Truth be told, I wasn't expecting much from this film anyway but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Yes, the premise is stupid and that smile annoying. Not much suspense or decent death scenes. It's PG-13 so other than language, it's pretty watered down. 4/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby ajmmck on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Damn dude, plowing through that MoviePass! Cheers for the reviews, keep them coming!
ajmmck
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:46 pm

ajmmck wrote:Damn dude, plowing through that MoviePass! Cheers for the reviews, keep them coming!

Thank you. I wasn't able to get to the theater last weekend so I had to play catch up this week. Glad you're enjoying the reviews! :pint:
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby jlabbate on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 am

Caught Ready Player One yesterday..not nearly as good as the book, but a fun ride nonetheless
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:27 am

Did not love Isle of Dogs like everyone else seems to. It felt like a shittier version of FMF. It wasn't a bad film but I think its lesser Wes Anderson.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby matowest on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:37 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Did not love Isle of Dogs like everyone else seems to. It felt like a shittier version of FMF. It wasn't a bad film but I think its lesser Wes Anderson.

Agreed. Visually impressive, but the story wasn't there IMO
matowest
Art Expert

Postby michaelmillichamp on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Has anyone seen You Were Never Really Here? Caught it last night and my initial thought was it's just good. The more I think about it the more I think it's drymounting great.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:10 pm

Yeah that movie got under my skin in a big way.

Such a performance and tone that so few films are good at doing.

One of my favorites so far this year.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:02 am

TRAFFIK

A passable story about a couple who go away on a romantic weekend for the main star's birthday, played by Paula Patton. I was glad to see Omar Epps in a movie for a change. Looking at his profile on IMDB, I don't believe I've seen him in anything since 1997's SCREAM 2 :lol: What really bothered me about the film was how selfish Paula seemed to be. You know whenever you're in a situation and you have the ability to get away but your friend or boyfriend doesn't and 9 times out of 10, you go back to help them escape as well no matter what they say? Nope, this girl is the 1 out of the 10 when people tell her to leave or go on without them, she actually takes them up on it and hightails it outta there. 4.5/10

I FEEL PRETTY

From the previews it looked somewhat funny. To be honest, I haven't seen enough of Amy Schumer to have an opinion about her one way or another, but from the few things of her's I have seen, she hasn't impressed me much as a comedian. In fact, I think the actresses portraying her friends, Busy Philipps and Aidy Bryant, were funnier than her (Aidy especially). You can pretty much gather the story from the previews where this is a "love yourself no matter what others say or think about you" feel good story. It was in someways a ripoff I felt of BIG with Tom Hanks. This is supposed to be a comedy, and in a comedy you have only one job, which is to make the audience laugh. If you don't, you're going to fall flat on your face. I'm disappointed to see Michelle Williams wasted in this picture. 4.0/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:29 pm

SUPER TROOPERS 2

Not a bad sequel for coming in 17 years after the original. Personally, my favorite Broken Lizard film is BEERFEST and I'd like to see that get a sequel but I know that's not going to happen. This was decently funny and if you're a fan of the original, I'm sure you'll enjoy this too. Glad they were able to bring Brian Cox back with the gang. Also, I enjoyed Seann William Scott and Damon Wayans Jr. cameos. 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby dweebofthedead on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I think Super Troopers 2 plays better with a crowd.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:45 am

DonPiano wrote:Same. Fatih Akin really makes some great films. In the Fade has been unfairly criticised for its third act narrative. I couldn't disagree more with them. Diane Kruger is stunning in it. A truly powerful performance in a truly powerful film.

Damn, this lived up to the (self built) hype for me. So glad it finally is available and I was able to see it. Akin is so god damn epic, one of my all time favs.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Slacking on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:19 am

dweebofthedead wrote:I think Super Troopers 2 plays better with a crowd.

Got to go to a screening with a Q&A about two weeks ago, afterwards the cast hung out and BSed with the crowd. Not many people would do what they did, hung out for a while with us. It got to the point where Steve Lemme was asking what I did today lmao, good times.
Last edited by Slacking on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slacking
Art Enthusiast

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV