Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:40 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I would like more people to go see Annihilation so we can talk about.

If you are really into dark and twisty sci-fi go check this one out.

I concur, a very good film that I still need a second viewing of. Although with my MoviePass I'll probably see GAME NIGHT again as well as BLACK PANTHER but I'm waiting for the crowds to die down on that one.

I'm sure you are aware there's a thread already dedicated to ANNIHILATION?

http://forum.expressobeans.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=176189
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby brettlv5506 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:09 am

35mmpaul wrote:I would like more people to go see Annihilation so we can talk about.

I loved it, but really want to get the bluray when it comes out to better examine it. As for my first reading, I thought it was a great rumination on trauma.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:06 am

brettlv5506 wrote:

I loved it, but really want to get the bluray when it comes out to better examine it. As for my first reading, I thought it was a great rumination on trauma.

That's interesting. That stuff is there for sure.

One of the other things i found going on in it was an interesting take troubled relationship. I don't think that is the main thrust but its one of the many subjects explored.

Was impressed on how as it went further on it got more interesting. Which i can't say for many movies.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby PrintNoob87 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:06 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

One of the other things i found going on in it was an interesting take troubled relationship. I don't think that is the main thrust but its one of the many subjects explored.

Was impressed on how as it went further on it got more interesting. Which i can't say for many movies.

Tried to start a thread, but yeah it seems 9 people have seen this movie. Also, there's a dude in there that doesn't want spoilers in the movie discussion thread.
PrintNoob87
Art Expert

Postby brettlv5506 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:15 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

That is there too. So, is the theme of self destruction, which ties in well with the relationship stuff. Trauma is my kind of grand unifying theory for the film since it is present in every character and the film's end game seems to be the transformative experience that comes along with that trauma. I know a lot of people are comparing this to Tarkovsky's Stalker (and they should, there are a bunch of similarities) but I thought it was pretty similar to Solaris as well. I'd say why but spoilers I guess.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby ccsmd598 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:56 am

Finally got around to seeing Black Panther. Definitely a movie that lives up to the hype.

First Marvel movie I’ve seen that made me feel the action/fighting had something truly at stake vs a smash n’ bash save the world CGI-fest.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:37 am

brettlv5506 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:
brettlv5506 wrote:

That is there too. So, is the theme of self destruction, which ties in well with the relationship stuff. Trauma is my kind of grand unifying theory for the film since it is present in every character and the film's end game seems to be the transformative experience that comes along with that trauma. I know a lot of people are comparing this to Tarkovsky's Stalker (and they should, there are a bunch of similarities) but I thought it was pretty similar to Solaris as well. I'd say why but spoilers I guess.

All of this stuff from both of ya makes sense to me; I need to see Solaris again for sure, but I loved Annihilation. I think there's a lot of stuff deep in there that is only opening up to me upon conversation with other people who have questions about it. It's like pandoras box, it's all starting to come out to me.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:18 pm

I'm really torn. I want to see it because of all the people who've said they liked it and because of the director. But I read the book (and half of the second in the trilogy) and while I didn't hate it, I found it extremely boring and pretentious.

Probably one I will wait for digital release.

What you said about the troubled relationship though was the most interesting stuff from the book, to me at least.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:43 pm

I am not a big fan of ex machina and i liked this one.

and yeah it can definitely feel pretentious in parts.

but i feel like as a whole it's heart in the right place.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:46 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I am not a big fan of ex machina and i liked this one.

and yeah it can definitely feel pretentious in parts.

but i feel like as a whole it's heart in the right place.

I mean, just visually, it looks stunning. Might be worth it to see in theater just for that.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 am

Late to the party, but I loved Annihilation. Caught the late show last night. We were the only ones in the theater. Can't wait to see it again(!)

Love that trippy end credits sequence too. Still dissecting everything. Love a good Sci-fi flick that is hard to wrap your head around on a first viewing.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby DonPiano on Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

PSA - there will be two films directed by indigenous Australians on screens in the US in March. Goldstone and Sweet Country. If you're around and about, check these out. You won't regret it.

(Also, Goldstone is the sequel to Mystery Road which is on Amazon Prime if you haven't seen it.)
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

DonPiano wrote:PSA - there will be two films directed by indigenous Australians on screens in the US in March. Goldstone and Sweet Country. If you're around and about, check these out. You won't regret it.

(Also, Goldstone is the sequel to Mystery Road which is on Amazon Prime if you haven't seen it.)

Thanks for the heads up! Gonna add Mystery Road to my watch list! I love Prime!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm

THE STRANGERS: PREY AT NIGHT

The original THE STRANGERS I thought was forgettable and this will follow suit. I personally didn't think the original necessitated a sequel but here we are. Judging by the number of people, or lack thereof in the theater, I had a feeling this would bomb. Not to take anything away from the victims who experienced these events first hand (again this film is based on actual events), the film is rather mundane. No scares, some gore, not a lot of dialogue. The casting wasn't the best and I don't feel the parents, (Christina Hendricks and Martin Henderson) didn't work well with the kids (Bailee Madison and Lewis Pullman). Bailee put forth the best effort as the bad girl who's pissed off at her parents for shipping her to boarding school. On the way there they spend a night in a trailer park owned by Christina Hendricks Uncle and that's when they cross paths with the strangers. Besides Bailee's performance the only redeeming quality I found with the film was a pretty decent soundtrack. An easy pass for those on the fence about seeing this. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:58 am

GRINGO

A dark comedy with a story that's all over the place. Amazon put a little money behind this with their marketing but the film wasn't satisfying for me. A somewhat decent cast (Charlize Theron, Thandie Newton and Amanda Seyfried). With the exception of Theron and Joel Edgerton, they're all underutilized. Star David Oyelowo was passable as Harold Soyinka who's about to be fired from his pharmaceutical job due to a merger of his company and concocts a kidnapping story to get money from the company he's about to be fired from. In the process, he's on the run from a Mexican drug cartel who's recently been cut out of a business deal with the same pharmaceutical company and they're under the (wrong) impression that Harold is the boss. The only positive I found with the film was Theron who is a no nonsense, ball-breaking, dog eat dog woman who is only out for her best interests. She shines while everyone else fades. 5.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV