Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Codeblue on Wed May 30, 2018 1:06 pm

Peter (Rob Delaney) was barely in DP2 but really stole teh show. If ya'll haven't seen Catastrophe (it's on Amazon in teh US), do yourself a favor and check it out.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby hunterjax on Wed May 30, 2018 1:08 pm

Codeblue wrote:Peter (Rob Delaney) was barely in DP2 but really stole teh show. If ya'll haven't seen Catastrophe (it's on Amazon in teh US), do yourself a favor and check it out.

it's on my list to watch.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby jlabbate on Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm

hunterjax wrote:Saw Solo and Deadpool 2 this weekend. Both pretty good, fun, enjoyable flicks.

That is all. :)

agreed..thought DP2 was better than DP1
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:33 am

UPGRADE

UPGRADE is a film about a man who seeks revenge after he's attacked and his wife killed (in front of his very eyes no less). The main star, Grey Trace (played by Logan Marshall-Green), is left a quadriplegic after the attack. He tries an experimental new technology called The Stem, that is inserted into his neck and allows him to regain the use of his body. The Stem also gives Grey abilities he didn't have prior to his accident. The set pieces of this films are at times breathtaking and I applaud the crew for their designs as well as the advancements in technology that are displayed onscreen. We're not given a year when this film takes place but computers and machines are relied upon even more than they are today and are capable enough to do almost any task. For some reason (maybe because of the over-the-top, brutal violence) I was reminded of CRANK while watching this. While there isn't as much action in this film as there was in the former, it's definitely still a very fun and enjoyable ride. I'm unsure how much business it'll do at the box office, but it's good popcorn flick and has been getting some positive reviews as well. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby ThierryHenry on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks for this thread as I have found some great movies that I probably wouldn't ever have watched.

The Lobster, Sacred deer, Dogtooth, Oldboy (2003)... all fantastic. "Alps"... just ok.

Hearing about the more recent ones are great too.

:clap:
ThierryHenry
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:59 am

dweebofthedead wrote:Watched this fun little doc last night called Filmworker. Pretty cool to get some Kubrick insight and his films from his assistant of 30 years.

Filmworker was great. Really enjoyed that one. I've been a Barry Lyndon fan for years, but had no idea that Leon Vitali (who plays Lord Bullingdon) gave up his acting career and essentially dedicated his life to helping Kubrick.

I really enjoyed S is for Stanley as well (the other movie about a Stanley Kubrick assistant that came out a couple years ago). I do, however, feel that most people will much prefer Filmworker to S is for Stanley because it focuses more on the movie side of things and it's a bit more lively than S is for Stanley. I'm currently reading the book S is for Stanley is based on, Stanley Kubrick and Me, and as a person that savors every Kubrick crumb I'm finding it very enjoyable. I recommend seeing the doc first so that when you read the book, you hear it in Emilio D'Alessandro, the old protagonist's voice. Cool dude who didn't know jack about movies but was very much dedicated to the art and craft of serving.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:33 am

Also, if you're a 2001 fan, the unrestored 70mm print is absolutely stunning and worth traveling to check out. I've seen 2001 at least 5 times on the big screen and each viewing was special, but this was tops by far. The film looked incredible. It had the beautiful look of a movie shot on film back in the day, but with exceptional clarity. It looked retro and modern at once.

The 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' sequence looks totally different than it usually does and it's a lot more immersive. I saw it on opening night at the Village East Cinema and couldn't have asked for a better crowd. It was a beautiful, historic-looking theater and the seats there are positioned higher and closer to the screen than at most theaters for optimal viewing. It was a special screening that I will not soon forget.

Also saw Paths of Glory on 35mm and that was powerful in the theater.

And Michael Mann's Thief on 35mm was amazing! The print looked great and the sound(!) was tremendous. I was super hyped up after the movie and said something silly to my wife like, "I feel like drymounting up everybody in the theater!" :lol:

Tonight, Sara Driver (filmmaker and Jim Jarmusch's longtime partner) is at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston with Boom For Real: The Late Teenage Years of Jean-Michel Basquiat about the LES scene back in the late 70s. Very much looking forward to it. Re-watched the exceptional Radiant Child doc and Downtown 81 (New York Beat) in anticipation.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RadRacing on Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 pm

RottenAtom wrote:And Michael Mann's Thief on 35mm was amazing! The print looked great and the sound(!) was tremendous. I was super hyped up after the movie and said something silly to my wife like, "I feel like drymounting up everybody in the theater!" :lol:

This sounds awesome! I'm a huge Kubrick fan, but an even bigger Mann fan. Thief is a top 10 film for me. Amazing soundtrack to boot. Would love to see it on the big screen.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby TyrisFlare on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:34 pm

Quiet Place was awful. Felt like Tremors with monster from Stranger Things. Awful acting too. Luckily was at dollar theater so not much money was wasted. AVOID
TyrisFlare
Art Enthusiast

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm

RadRacing wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:And Michael Mann's Thief on 35mm was amazing! The print looked great and the sound(!) was tremendous. I was super hyped up after the movie and said something silly to my wife like, "I feel like drymounting up everybody in the theater!" :lol:

This sounds awesome! I'm a huge Kubrick fan, but an even bigger Mann fan. Thief is a top 10 film for me. Amazing soundtrack to boot. Would love to see it on the big screen.

It was playing at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, as part of The Caan Film Festival.

I have to give a huge shout out to supreme EBer FrankBooth for meeting us at the museum and hooking us up with museum tix, screening tix, and discounted merch. Solid drinking buddy too :notworthy: :pint:

Funky subway re-routes delayed us and we got there right before the screening. Glad we made it in time! The film is so electric and Caan goes really hard in that one :twisted: :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby deancc on Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Finally got to see Foxtrot, so so good.

Looking forward to this one. Maoz's other film, Lebanon, was seriously great.
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:20 pm

ACTION POINT

Johnny Knoxville is at it again, destroying his body for our amusement. And while the only decent funny scenes are those that are reminiscent of his Jackass days, this is an actual film and not just a bland story woven around his stunts. Unfortunately, the laughs in this are far and few in between. If this is something you're interested in seeing, this is definitely one to wait until it's available for streaming. The film takes place in 1979 so the soundtrack is pretty good with songs of this era. 4/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:05 pm

deancc wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Finally got to see Foxtrot, so so good.

Looking forward to this one. Maoz's other film, Lebanon, was seriously great.

I need to check that out asap
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby letstalkprints on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Anyone seen Annihilation, like Natalie Portman, think it got some mixed reviews, recommended?
letstalkprints
Art Connoisseur

I'm your huckleberry. That's just my game.

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:29 pm

I would say yes, if you like very heady and cerebral science fiction films. I really liked it. but its very dark and intense. but beautiful at the same time.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV