Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm

I might. Not much coming bout between now and Black Panther.

Im not against it, I just haven't felt the HUGE need to see it. But I'm interested to see how passionate people are about the series. It does bump them up the list.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:02 pm

I recently saw Mary and the Witch's Flower for the first time since I caught it at Fantastic Fest. I think it's playing in theaters now (albeit not a lot of them). If you're into Studio Ghibli, I recommend checking it out. It's the first feature film from Studio Ponoc which is made up of many former animators from Studio Ghibli.

Don't let this comment blow up your expectations, but I personally like it more than anything Studio Ghibli ever made. It looks amazing and it has cool settings and a gorgeous color palette.

It also features a few scenes with this pimped out Robin Hood fella:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 pm

matowest wrote:Hearing some positive stuff about The Commuter, actually

I saw THE COMMUTER last week. It had some pretty decent action and was able to keep it suspenseful with an intriguing puzzle for Liam Neeson to figure out in a short period of time. The reveal wasn't a bad surprised. I like how Liam Neeson, at his age of 65, is still able to make and be believable in these types of films. On a personal note it was a nice treat to hear all of the stops in the movie as I take that line to go into New York City or to Yankee Stadium so I'm familiar with Cold Spring, Beacon, Tarrytown, etc. 6.5/10

As for THE POST, the movie was alright. It seemed to me to drag a bit and the end was pretty anticlimactic. I honestly expected more with Spielberg, Streep, and Hanks names attached. It wasn't bad, just not as good as I was expecting/hoping. 6/10

PROUD MARY was garbage in my opinion. I only saw it because I have the MoviePass, was off of work due to weather, and have pretty seen everything else. Not a lot of investment in the characters to care enough weather they live or die. To me, the best part of the film was Danny Glover playing the head of a criminal family. 4/10

12 STRONG, while taking nothing away from the soldiers for their bravery, was a decent action/propaganda film that ran a little too long for me. Michael Pena continues to shine with his wisecracking self in the same vein as he did in ANT-MAN although toned down more. 6/10

DEN OF THIEVES I wasn't expecting much going into it because I heard it got some bad reviews but I quite enjoyed it actually. At 2 hours and 20 minutes I didn't feel it ran too long. In fact I could have sat around for more. I felt it was smart, intense with good acting and I would see it again in theaters. 7/10

I still need to see both MOLLY'S GAME and PHANTOM THREAD. PHANTOM THREAD isn't playing anywhere close to me unfortunately! I also saw I,TONYA recently and if you haven't already done so, do yourself the favor and go see it. It's fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing it again!
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I recently saw Mary and the Witch's Flower for the first time since I caught it at Fantastic Fest. I think it's playing in theaters now (albeit not a lot of them). If you're into Studio Ghibli, I recommend checking it out. It's the first feature film from Studio Ponoc which is made up of many former animators from Studio Ghibli.

Don't let this comment blow up your expectations, but I personally like it more than anything Studio Ghibli ever made. It looks amazing and it has cool settings and a gorgeous color palette.

It also features a few scenes with this pimped out Robin Hood fella:

I know you recently saw DRAGON GATE INN at the Drafthouse, how was it? I've never seen it but I do enjoy myself some good ol' fashioned kung fu movies!
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:08 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:The Post is a movie we really need right now. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Absolutely.

Spielberg’s camera work is so much fun too. I’m no a huge technical movie buff but it’s always so obvious when you’re watching his films and a pleasure to see the creative things he does with the camera.

We were commenting on the camerawork at the same time. So good! The DP, Janusz Kaminski is a master so it's no surprising it's masterful, but his work on The Post felt next level.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Irishman12 wrote:I know you recently saw DRAGON GATE INN at the Drafthouse, how was it? I've never seen it but I do enjoy myself some good ol' fashioned kung fu movies!

Man, it was something to behold, haha. I love these old kung fu movies and that was my first time seeing Dragon Gate Inn. I've been waiting on that Criterion for awhile but it seems to be tied up for some reason. The movie was great. I was taken by surprise though. I checked the run time of the movie and instead of looking on the Alamo site, or on IMDB, or even Wikipedia, I just googled the name of the movie and looked at the run time displayed by google. It said the movie was 3 hours and 20 minutes. The movie is actually only 111 minutes. When the waiter at the Alamo brought me the check an hour into the film I thought 'wtf' and rejected it. I later ordered a shake which arrived just in time for the final fight scene. Lesson learned; don't count on google for proper run times. I explained and apologized to my waiter :lol:

Speaking of old kung fu movies. I just watched one this morning from 1979 called Fists and Guts starring Gordon Liu and directed by Lau Kar-Wing. It's not Shaw Bros. but it feels like it. The film is a comedy but it features a lot of solid fight choreography. I laughed out loud during the ambush sequence in the woods when the theme from Psycho came on.

I'm a sucker for all these old kung fu movies. So many of them are similar, but they're fun, they look great, they can be super creative in silly ways, and there are a ton that I haven't seen. I'm super pumped about AGFA acquiring 30 Shaw Bros. films and giving them theatrical releases in the near future. My sweet wife gifted me a book called 'China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic Cinema' that I hope to get through before the retrospective in March.

Gordon Liu with hat and hair in Fists and Guts :lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:42 pm

no joke I just bought that on VHS randomly. Going to watch it soon!

35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:50 pm

RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:I know you recently saw DRAGON GATE INN at the Drafthouse, how was it? I've never seen it but I do enjoy myself some good ol' fashioned kung fu movies!

Man, it was something to behold, haha. I love these old kung fu movies and that was my first time seeing Dragon Gate Inn. I've been waiting on that Criterion for awhile but it seems to be tied up for some reason. The movie was great. I was taken by surprise though. I checked the run time of the movie and instead of looking on the Alamo site, or on IMDB, or even Wikipedia, I just googled the name of the movie and looked at the run time displayed by google. It said the movie was 3 hours and 20 minutes. The movie is actually only 111 minutes. When the waiter at the Alamo brought me the check an hour into the film I thought 'wtf' and rejected it. I later ordered a shake which arrived just in time for the final fight scene. Lesson learned; don't count on google for proper run times. I explained and apologized to my waiter :lol:

I'm a sucker for all these old kung fu movies. So many of them are similar, but they're fun, they look great, they can be super creative in silly ways, and there are a ton that I haven't seen. I'm super pumped about AGFA acquiring 30 Shaw Bros. films and giving them theatrical releases in the near future. My sweet wife gifted me a book called 'China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic Cinema' that I hope to get through before the retrospective in March.

Gordon Liu with hat and hair in Fists and Guts :lol:

Sweet, thanks for the feedback! I'll have to check it out soon. I love the Drafthouse but with the Katy location being the only one open now, it's gotta be worth it for me to make the drive from Pearland. I'm waiting with anticipation for the Sugar Land location to open up. I thought originally it was supposed to be summer of this year but now I heard it won't be until sometime in 2019. Also might check out some of the 30 Shaw Bros. theatrical releases!
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby DonPiano on Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm certain I've said this already, but I'll say it again. Go and see Sweet Country.
DonPiano
Art Expert

AB Film Review

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby hunterjax on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:14 pm

RottenAtom wrote:a book called 'China Forever: The Shaw Brothers and Diasporic Cinema'

thanks for mentioning this . . . just went to Amazon and ordered it.

Love Kung Fu and Shaw Bros., grew up on it and have been trying to get my teen son into it all.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:16 pm

WINCHESTER was absolute garbage. Cheap scares and a very lame story plot. Helen Mirren was decent but even she couldn't save this ship from sinking. My suggestion would be to avoid this one! 4/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Does anything good ever come out this time of year? Feb-April are usually a dumping ground in between Awards season & Summer Blockbusters
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:47 pm

Two words. Black. Panther.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby matowest on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Irishman12 wrote:WINCHESTER was absolute garbage. Cheap scares and a very lame story plot. Helen Mirren was decent but even she couldn't save this ship from sinking. My suggestion would be to avoid this one! 4/10

Yeah, it ain't good. Discount CONJURING attempt
matowest
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV