Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:17 pm

I feel like Coogler doesn't get enough love out there. The dude has been killing it since the get go. Tons of Black Panther talk everywhere, and only some of it is about Coogler.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:33 pm

35mmpaul wrote:love GOTG but it does kinda fall into the modern sci fi design thing that is permeated alot of films. you could kinda take guardians, valarian, thor ragnarok, star trek beyond (that big planet city thingy) and they can kinda all feel similar. i dont think they are exactly the same but feel the same. the mixing of futurism by way of african tribal culture felt so fresh and inventive. it's going to win for costumes and design next year.

good comparisons for sure, but I think Guardians did it first and everyone glommed onto the look from it. But completely agree that BP should absolutely be awarded and commended for the design/costumes/makeup - it was gorgeous.

35mmpaul wrote:the message its sending out is a twilight zone, black mirror esque idea of a culture that wasn't besmirched by the ravages of slavery on the modern world. a world where their culture and traditions were not only able to thrive, but enfused with highly advanced technology. while yeah it may be heavy handed in parts, just the mere fact it's a huge budget tent pole marvel film that address, contextualizes, and comments on the effects of slavery in our world today, is a message that is not found in other mcu films.

I'm 100% with you on the message . . . I guess as an old man, it's just not new to me because this is EXACTLY what Jack Kirby wanted and did with Wakanda in the Fantastic Four comics. But I get that it IS new for a lot of younger people and seeing it live, on screen is a big deal - I guess in my head I'm downplaying that because it didn't effect me as that new of an idea.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby hunterjax on Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:I feel like Coogler doesn't get enough love out there. The dude has been killing it since the get go. Tons of Black Panther talk everywhere, and only some of it is about Coogler.

Agreed - he's really a phenomenal film-maker, and with a Marvel or super-hero film that talent usually gets buried under the "product." It's a tribute to his talent that his approach to filmmaking shows through even despite the studio factory output of this kind of film. Again, think the same goes for James Gunn on GOTG.

(you guys are making me realize BP is better than I thought it was when viewing.)
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:49 pm

RED SPARROW

I was really looking forward to this since the moment I first saw the trailer and I must admit I was kind of disappointed. For an espionage thriller I felt it was rather dry at times. I'll give Jennifer Lawrence credit for stepping out of her comfort zone as this isn't her typical role. However, her Russian accent was all over the place. Sometimes it passed, sometimes it wasn't there and sometimes you could hear the voice over work during post-production. I don't mind Joel Edgerton but he comes off as one dimensional to me. With the exception of BLACK MASS, he's Mr. No Emotion. Not a terrible film at all, but go in with tempered expectations. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby RambosRemodeler on Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Irishman12 wrote:RED SPARROW

I was really looking forward to this since the moment I first saw the trailer and I must admit I was kind of disappointed. For an espionage thriller I felt it was rather dry at times. I'll give Jennifer Lawrence credit for stepping out of her comfort zone as this isn't her typical role. However, her Russian accent was all over the place. Sometimes it passed, sometimes it wasn't there and sometimes you could hear the voice over work during post-production. I don't mind Joel Edgerton but he comes off as one dimensional to me. With the exception of BLACK MASS, he's Mr. No Emotion. Not a terrible film at all, but go in with tempered expectations. 6/10

It was directed by Francis Lawrence. It was always going to be mediocre at best. Shoulda just watched annihilation again
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:51 pm

I like I Am Legend. The ending is....complicated...but the hour and change before is solid.

Also a big constantine fan. and the hunger games one he did (the second one?) is the only good one of the bunch.

i don't have any expectations for this one.

(going to annilation this weekend rambo)
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby lapislazuli on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:36 pm

The Insult

Highly recommended.
But if you're planning to see it, don't watch the trailer - it gives too much away.

Much better than On Body and Soul and immensely better than that crap called The Square (two and a half hours of my life I'll never get back).
Haven't seen the other two but I hope this one wins the Oscar.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm

'don't watch the trailer'

*posts trailer*
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby lapislazuli on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 pm

35mmpaul wrote:'don't watch the trailer'

*posts trailer*

FYI It is NOT the trailer - it's a clip from the beginning of the film

THIS is the trailer.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:53 pm

didn't post the trailer

*posts the trailer*

fixed.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm

I think it just came out - and in really limited release as of now - but anyone catch They Remain yet? I'm a huge Laird Barron fan (wrote the short story this is based on) and am interested if this is any good. Will certainly catch it when/if it comes around here, whenever the hell that is.

(An aside, are there any resources around that actually track when small release films are going to different markets? I always try to remember to follow up on movies like this, but I'm getting old and can't remember fudge for the life of me.)
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 pm

Good Morning! I've been up all night dealing with moving stuff. A few pals came through early this morning and moved all the heavy stuff. Claudia and I are about to pop some champagne for some anniversary mimosas before going for breakfast.

We are currently at 36 participants. I bought the 50-tier pool, but we can upgrade to a higher tier if necessary. Let me know if we max out and it gives you trouble signing up or anything.

Cheers!! :pint:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm

DEATH WISH

I never saw the original version with Charlie Bronson so I have nothing to compare it to but Bruce Willis just seemed to mail in this performance. During the scenes were he's suppose to show emotion due to his wife's murder, Bruce just didn't seem to care and it showed. Camila Morrone who plays his daughter has more emotion and care for this movie than Bruce does. Vincent D'Onofrio is cast as Willis' brother Frank, who likewise at times, doesn't seem to care much. What I'm probably disappointed in the most is that Elisabeth Shue is relegated to these types of roles. I was a big fan of her's while I was growing up and she has a lot to offer. It's a shame she's wasted in a movie like this and seems to be exiled to TV shows. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby duckyhoward on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:01 pm

^^ - Bruce has been mailing in his acting efforts in most of his movies over the last 3-4 years.
i would definitely check out the Brosnan original. Even though his acting range was limited too. efficiently made and brosnan played the part of paul kersey well.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:18 pm

I would like more people to go see Annihilation so we can talk about.

If you are really into dark and twisty sci-fi go check this one out.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV