Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:21 pm

RadRacing wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I really liked The Old Man & the Gun and First Man if they're available. They come out tomorrow here.

Thanks dude. The Old Man and the Gun is not unfortuneatly. First man is showing all over the city. Did you check it in IMAX?

I didn't. The preview screening I saw was on a big screen with decent sound, but definitely not IMAX. I'll be going back to see it that way though. I'll be interested to see how people react to the film. It isn't a big glossy space movie the way most of 'em are. It has a natural, more gritty look and an intimate feel. They focus on Armstrong and his perspective and don't play up the space race stuff and I liked that about it. It might be the most realistic portrayal of space travel in cinema history. Made it look as scary as it is wondrous.

Btw, Ex Libris is now on Kanopy. Probably should've waited and saved my $50. (Kinda knew that going in, but just couldn't wait. #NoRegretsButIfICouldGoBack...)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Seeing BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE tonight and tomorrow I'll be checking out FIRST MAN in IMAX.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RadRacing on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:44 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
RadRacing wrote:Looking for recs...going to check something this weekend. Has anyone seen Collette or Sister Brothers?

thanks!

I really enjoyed Sisters Brothers. It has a good amount to say with out saying it too much. great performances from the whole cast.

Thanks! I enjoyed the book. Will likely check it this weekend or next.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby RadRacing on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I didn't. The preview screening I saw was on a big screen with decent sound, but definitely not IMAX. I'll be going back to see it that way though. I'll be interested to see how people react to the film. It isn't a big glossy space movie the way most of 'em are. It has a natural, more gritty look and an intimate feel. They focus on Armstrong and his perspective and don't play up the space race stuff and I liked that about it. It might be the most realistic portrayal of space travel in cinema history. Made it look as scary as it is wondrous.

Btw, Ex Libris is now on Kanopy. Probably should've waited and saved my $50. (Kinda knew that going in, but just couldn't wait. #NoRegretsButIfICouldGoBack...)

Nice, sounds good. I almost fell outta my seat watching Gravity in 3d lol. For someone who does not like to fly, I found it intense. But this sounds good. Will let ya know when I check it.

Yea I gave ExLibris another spin recently after picking it up from the library (go figure). It was ok but not as good I had hoped it would be.

:pint:
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Seeing BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE tonight and tomorrow I'll be checking out FIRST MAN in IMAX.

Good luck with that. I hated it, but others seem to be into it.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:09 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
RadRacing wrote:Looking for recs...going to check something this weekend. Has anyone seen Collette or Sister Brothers?

thanks!

I really enjoyed Sisters Brothers. It has a good amount to say with out saying it too much. great performances from the whole cast.

this has pretty much jumped to the top of my must see list.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby hunterjax on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:11 pm

RottenAtom wrote:It might be the most realistic portrayal of space travel in cinema history

The Right Stuff, brah.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm

hunterjax wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:It might be the most realistic portrayal of space travel in cinema history

The Right Stuff, brah.

I like that one. Seems like a very realistic portrayal. Have you seen First Man yet though? (The launching scenes and space travel sequences are similar aesthetically, but feel even more authentic.)

Gravity in 3D was amazing. It gave you the floating sensation and everything. It was unreal. But there was still a superficial sheen to it that I think First Man lacks. FM feels more naturalistic.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby hunterjax on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:34 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
hunterjax wrote:

The Right Stuff, brah.

I like that one. Seems like a very realistic portrayal. Have you seen First Man yet though? (The launching scenes and space travel sequences are similar aesthetically, but feel even more authentic.)

Gravity in 3D was amazing. It gave you the floating sensation and everything. It was unreal. But there was still a superficial sheen to it that I think First Man lacks. FM feels more naturalistic.

I haven't, really looking forward to it. Just being a wise-ass. The Right Stuff (book and movie) was pretty key in my formative years as a film freak and space/NASA groupie.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I'm interested to hear your opinion once you've seen it. I'm a sucker for space movies and I'm not sure where this would rank against the others yet, but I definitely enjoyed it and can't wait to see it again, this time on IMAX.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:09 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Seeing BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE tonight and tomorrow I'll be checking out FIRST MAN in IMAX.

Good luck with that. I hated it, but others seem to be into it.

Thanks, I've heard good things about ROYALE. We shall see.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:19 pm

My spoiler-free reviews of The Old Man & the Gun, First Man, and Bad Times at the El Royale. I rarely fudge on a movie. That was kinda fun.

http://www.nerdlocker.com/movies/this-w ... -el-royale
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby 35mmpaul on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 pm

rarely?

i kid i kid.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:40 am

BAD TIMES AT THE EL ROYALE

A slowly burning film with mystery surrounding each of the seven strangers who visit the El Royale hotel. It reminded me somewhat of FOUR ROOMS where we get into a storyline and then it switches to someone else's backstory and repeats this formula. It kind of worked at first but once I was really into a storyline, I kind of got tired of being yanked out and having to start fresh with someone else's. A solid all around cast with a pleasing retro soundtrack. I do feel it outstayed it's welcome a little with a runtime of 2 hours and 21 minutes and by the end it was a little bit of a mess, but overall, I did have fun with it. Also, it was a nice switch to see Chris Hemsworth channeling his inner Jim Morrison as the villain Buddy Lee. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:18 pm

HALLOWEEN (2018)

I'll start off by saying that I really wanted to like this movie. I had heard some positive reviews going in and the fact that Jamie Lee Curtis was again, taking on the iconic role of Laurie Strode, plus the fact that they would be ignoring everything that happened after the original HALLOWEEN, I was excited and intrigued. There are a number of similarities/homages to the original in this and while it isn't overly gruesome or graphic (they treated the film with respect), I found it to be just an average film. Nothing fantastic but nothing horrible as well. Just kind of middle of the road. Jamie Lee and Andi Matichak shine the brightest in this as Jamie portrays a Laurie Strode who's been living with the trauma she endured back in 1978 that has cost her her family and Andi plays her fiesty, teenage granddaughter. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV