Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:12 pm

35mmpaul wrote:im not a fan of any of those a24 horror films.

it does it for alot of people but there is no consistency behind the workings of the horror elements that those films occupy. which bores me.

some people really like it when the mechanics behind the spooky elements aren't explained at all. and thats fine. but it leaves little to nothing for me to latch on to as seemingly anything can happen in these films and you just have to go with it.

the best parts of Hereditary have nothing to do with the horror elements.

A Quiet Place is better than all of those films. and even that film has some issues here and there.

Hereditary isn't vague at all, I didn't think. I don't even love the film. I walked away feeling kind of disappointed. It wasn't nearly as creepy or dark as The Witch or something like Killing of a Sacred Deer. I know you judge it based it being an a24 film, but i don't love their horror films just because they're a24. I loved The Witch, I loved It Comes at Night, I do not love Hereditary. The movie probably is missing elements of horror because it's not really coming from a guy (filmmaker) who's all about horror films. There's no way A Quiet Place is better than any of these, though. A Quiet Place has quite a few issues, and while I had fun watching it, there's nothing to think about or discuss after I see it. It takes place in its runtime, and then it's over. I've talked, read, and discussed stuff related to the Witch way more than I ever will A Quiet Place. (This whole convo is one reason horror can be such a fun genre though).
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:00 pm

no. im judging the film on the film. not because who released it. but they just happen to have a type of horror film they like to release where its a hopeless slog to the end of the movie where the main characters have no choice or ability to do anything about the forces that are attacking them. and you are stuck watching someone get relentlessly tortured emotionally or physically for 2 hours.

and when i mean vague. i mean, there is not really much thought, consistency or follow through in the supernatural elements of the film.

with being a little obtuse, there is a notebook in the film. there is one scene where an action to it does one thing. then a later scene where the character is saying 'i know this will happen' and then something completely different happens...because.....its shocking!

and alot of people seem to like it. and i do not.

the thing with a quite place is that its story about this family is interesting, but the world that it exist in has design, follow through, actions and consequences.

hereditary, its just crazy thing after crazy thing happening with out much rhyme or reason.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby michaelmillichamp on Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:36 pm

Paul, you must hate Personal Shopper.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 am

i have not seen it. ghosts or something in it right?
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby michaelmillichamp on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:38 am

Nailed it.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:25 am

Checked out 'Revenge' On Demand this weekend. Nice and bloody, good times. :pint:
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:15 pm

SUPERFLY

I never saw the original SUPERFLY, so I went into this blind. It's an interesting story about a cocaine dealer who's trying to make one last score so he can walk away. However, when he goes around his supplier and goes directly to the source, he soon finds out that walking away is not as easy as it seems. This is one of the better criminal/gangster pictures in recent memory. I was hoping for more from the soundtrack but the costumes, cars, jewelry and certain filming locations added to the authenticity of the picture and got me to buy in more into the believability of the characters. I applaud the writing as the main character Priest is a smart businessman who sees the longer-term goals and isn't so easily provoked to violence. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:im not a fan of any of those a24 horror films.

it does it for alot of people but there is no consistency behind the workings of the horror elements that those films occupy. which bores me.

some people really like it when the mechanics behind the spooky elements aren't explained at all. and thats fine. but it leaves little to nothing for me to latch on to as seemingly anything can happen in these films and you just have to go with it.

the best parts of Hereditary have nothing to do with the horror elements.

A Quiet Place is better than all of those films. and even that film has some issues here and there.

Hereditary isn't vague at all, I didn't think. I don't even love the film. I walked away feeling kind of disappointed. It wasn't nearly as creepy or dark as The Witch or something like Killing of a Sacred Deer. I know you judge it based it being an a24 film, but i don't love their horror films just because they're a24. I loved The Witch, I loved It Comes at Night, I do not love Hereditary. The movie probably is missing elements of horror because it's not really coming from a guy (filmmaker) who's all about horror films. There's no way A Quiet Place is better than any of these, though. A Quiet Place has quite a few issues, and while I had fun watching it, there's nothing to think about or discuss after I see it. It takes place in its runtime, and then it's over. I've talked, read, and discussed stuff related to the Witch way more than I ever will A Quiet Place. (This whole convo is one reason horror can be such a fun genre though).

Is A Quiet Place a better technical film than either TW/ICAN? No but i'd watch AQP again before I ever watched the other 2 again. I didn't hate either of them but the common theme between Hereditary/ICAN/TW is they are all familial dramas that have horror elements. Unfortunately all 3 films suffer when they try to introduce horror elements into them. The Witch is great to look at and is a really well made flick but it is a fudge horror movie and the pacing is drymounting brutal at times. ICAN was just fine.

Hereditary :lol: :lol: :lol: I will start off by saying I really enjoyed the movie. I did but again it is a familial drama with horror elements. Its not a horror film. Everyone calling it a new horror classic and comparing it to some of the greatest horror films of all time are absolutely batshit. Are there a few horror moments that work? Sure but the movie is never scary. The film is at its strongest before all the horror stuff comes into play. After that, the movie falls off a drymounting cliff. So much of the "horror" felt tacked on and half baked. Then theres a few scenes thrown in for shock value which is weak af.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:34 am

Won't You Be My Neighbor? was magnificent. I loved it.

The Incredibles 2 is a lot of fun, and it's good, but not on the level of the original.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:02 am

RottenAtom wrote:Won't You Be My Neighbor? was magnificent. I loved it.

The Incredibles 2 is a lot of fun, and it's good, but not on the level of the original.

Really excited to see both of these.

I want to try and catch first reformed this weekend as well.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby matowest on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:49 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:

It's great. Heavy, but great.
matowest
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:06 pm

finneganm wrote:I’m going to go out on a limb and say that based on the trailer, The Old Man & The Gun is going to be a top five movie for me this year.

looks really good.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby hunterjax on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:10 pm

matowest wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:

not playing anywhere near me . . . probably going to have to wait for streaming release. :(
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:47 pm

matowest wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:

Yeah dude. I am really looking forward to it.

Still waiting on something to dethrone the kings. Annihilation/Paddington 2. :shock:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

Postby matowest on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Still waiting on something to dethrone the kings. Annihilation/Paddington 2. :shock:

First Reformed doesn't dethrone those two (I'm in agreement with you on those as best of the year so far), but it's up there. Maybe right behind them.
matowest
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV