Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:30 pm

THOROUGHBREDS

Anya Taylor-Joy is one of my favorite young actresses and this trailer caught my eye when I first came across it. The film has a limited cast but each does well in his/her respective roles (Joy, Olivia Cooke, Paul Sparks and Anton Yelchin). It's a shame this is one of Yelchin's final roles before his untimely death in 2016 as he was another fine young actor. The story follows 2 friends, Joy and Cooke, who plot to kill Joy's stepfather, Sparks. There's some dark comedy elements to the script with lovely scenery and set pieces as the story takes place on a Connecticut estate. Unfortunately, this is only seeing a limited release but you could do a lot worse with this weekend's crop of movies being released. 6.5/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:29 am

Finally got out and saw Annihilation last night. I haven't read the book, but Vandermeer writes in a literary space that I enjoy a great deal, so I was pretty favorably inclined towards the film going in. Thought it was great, very glad to see it on the big screen. I think it's execution is outpaced by its ambition, but to adopt any of the weird fiction genre to the screen is likely going to run into that.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 am

If Danny Boyle is really directing the next James Bond film, that is exciting news :clap:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby ccsmd598 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Anyone really excited for 'A Quiet Place' !? I personally can't wait for this one, reviews are really promising as well.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:Anyone really excited for 'A Quiet Place' !? I personally can't wait for this one, reviews are really promising as well.

+1
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby Count on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:51 pm

iwokeinrelief wrote:Finally got out and saw Annihilation last night. I haven't read the book, but Vandermeer writes in a literary space that I enjoy a great deal, so I was pretty favorably inclined towards the film going in. Thought it was great, very glad to see it on the big screen. I think it's execution is outpaced by its ambition, but to adopt any of the weird fiction genre to the screen is likely going to run into that.

Was eagerly waiting to see this on th3 big screen and then found out it will be distributed internationally through Netflix. Would have gladly paid for a ticket but looks like I’ve to stream this one now.
Count
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:40 pm

TOMB RAIDER

As an action film, it felt bland. Alicia Vikander was passable as Lara Croft and I was really happy to see Walton Goggins stretch his wings further as the lead villain as I've always been a fan of his from first seeing him on FX's THE SHIELD (an underrated show IMO). Even Walton I felt was bland, the action scenes were somewhat dull with the exception of the waterfall and Lara grabbing onto part of a plane that is briefly shown in trailers. I believe I saw the original 2 starring Angelina Jolie but don't remember anything good or bad about them so they obviously didn't make much of an impression on me. Overall, this felt like a cheap rip off of an Indiana Jones film. 5.5/10

7 DAY IN ENTEBBE

The true story of Palestinian and Palestinian sympathizers who hijack a plane headed for Paris and reroute it to Entebbe, Uganda to negotiate the release of Palestinian prisoners. The trailer hooked me as it looked pretty interesting and it was. Rosamund Pike has been putting her work in lately with HOSTILES, this and BEIRUT coming out later this summer. I enjoy her work as well as Daniel Brühl's who is also one of the hijackers. Not very suspenseful but still enjoyable watching it all pay out. I don't say that to be disrespectful towards the victims but rather as a movie going experience. 6/10
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby DonPiano on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:43 am

Gosh, I really liked In the Fade quite a lot. Loved the ending.
DonPiano
Art Expert

The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

Hotdogs are not sandwiches.

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby deancc on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:57 am

DonPiano wrote:Gosh, I really liked In the Fade quite a lot. Loved the ending.

Awesome. I'm keen to see that one. Just watched Head-On for the first time last night and was into it.

Count wrote:
iwokeinrelief wrote:Finally got out and saw Annihilation last night. I haven't read the book, but Vandermeer writes in a literary space that I enjoy a great deal, so I was pretty favorably inclined towards the film going in. Thought it was great, very glad to see it on the big screen. I think it's execution is outpaced by its ambition, but to adopt any of the weird fiction genre to the screen is likely going to run into that.

Was eagerly waiting to see this on th3 big screen and then found out it will be distributed internationally through Netflix. Would have gladly paid for a ticket but looks like I’ve to stream this one now.

Yep. I was really wanting to see this in a theatre, but Netflix only here. I did like it a lot though and will watch again sometime soon.
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am

deancc wrote:
DonPiano wrote:Gosh, I really liked In the Fade quite a lot. Loved the ending.

Awesome. I'm keen to see that one. Just watched Head-On for the first time last night and was into it.

Count wrote:

Yep. I was really wanting to see this in a theatre, but Netflix only here. I did like it a lot though and will watch again sometime soon.

Head-On is one of my favorite movies ever. Akin is so so good. I've been DYING for a chance to see In the Fade!
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby ccsmd598 on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:54 pm

Went to see Annihilation last night and caught the trailer for Hereditary....WHOA THAT GUNNA B GOOD
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby 35mmpaul on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:45 pm

I’m not sure on that one.

Seems to be following a trend with A24 with spooky doings going on. And prolly will have a weird and open ended finale that people will call “deep”.

But that’s mostly me being a movie grump.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:31 pm

You darn movie grump
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

35mmpaul wrote:I’m not sure on that one.

Seems to be following a trend with A24 with spooky doings going on. And prolly will have a weird and open ended finale that people will call “deep”.

But that’s mostly me being a movie grump.

Anytime a horror movie gets praised like this one has, it is almost always a let down. I think it looks kind of eh but I love Collette unhinged so I’m in.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby captainhavoc on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:10 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:Anytime a horror movie gets praised like this one has, it is almost always a let down.

Yeah, I'd be afraid it'd turn out like It Comes At Night if it wasn't the same guy who directed this:

captainhavoc
Art Expert

Ayes wrote:Maybe all these dates who've been turning you down see you in your yard hurling cat food and blowing weed smoke at your neighbor's pets.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV