Best/Worst Movies of 2018

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby brettlv5506 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm

RadRacing wrote:Does anything good ever come out this time of year? Feb-April are usually a dumping ground in between Awards season & Summer Blockbusters

February looks amazing this year.
Hannah
Loveless
Double Lover
Did You Wonder Who Fired the Gun?
Mute
Black Panther
Annihilation
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 am

A Fantastic Woman should be coming soon too?

Another Oscar nom for best foreign film "On Body and Soul" just got put on Netflix yesterday. It's wild how much foreign stuff that I watch and this gets put on there but it doesn't get recommended to me, I only found out from googling about new Netflix movies.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby DonPiano on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:52 pm

RadRacing wrote:Does anything good ever come out this time of year? Feb-April are usually a dumping ground in between Awards season & Summer Blockbusters

Sweet Country lands in March.
DonPiano
Art Expert

AB Film Review

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group

wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check

Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:20 pm

THE 15:17 TO PARIS

This is definitely not on par with Clint Eastwood's best efforts. Obviously, with the real life heroes portraying themselves, the acting was amateurish. Most of the movie isn't spent on the events on the train, maybe only the last 20. The rest of the film was them growing up and backpacking through Europe. Not to take anything away from the heroic acts these 3 men displayed in thwarting a terrorist attack, but based solely as a film, this didn't work for me and I even question the necessity of making a movie based on this event in the first place. 5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby lapislazuli on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Another Oscar nom for best foreign film "On Body and Soul" just got put on Netflix yesterday. It's wild how much foreign stuff that I watch and this gets put on there but it doesn't get recommended to me, I only found out from googling about new Netflix movies.

Saw it last Thursday in a real cinema.

I liked it, especially the female character.
Just one thing bothered me a bit: I'd have changed the ages of the protagonists ie woman - older vs man - younger.
Last edited by lapislazuli on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lapislazuli
Art Connoisseur

Postby matowest on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:16 pm

Irishman12 wrote:THE 15:17 TO PARIS

This is definitely not on par with Clint Eastwood's best efforts. Obviously, with the real life heroes portraying themselves, the acting was amateurish. Most of the movie isn't spent on the events on the train, maybe only the last 20. The rest of the film was them growing up and backpacking through Europe. Not to take anything away from the heroic acts these 3 men displayed in thwarting a terrorist attack, but based solely as a film, this didn't work for me and I even question the necessity of making a movie based on this event in the first place. 5/10

It's so, so bad. Shockingly bad. Almost anti-film in its structure and execution. A massively failed experiment.
matowest
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Later day Clint is a pretty bland filmmaker.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:49 pm

lapislazuli wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Another Oscar nom for best foreign film "On Body and Soul" just got put on Netflix yesterday. It's wild how much foreign stuff that I watch and this gets put on there but it doesn't get recommended to me, I only found out from googling about new Netflix movies.

Saw it last Thursday in a real cinema.

Color me jealous
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby ccsmd598 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:35 pm

Finally saw Molly’s Game, really enjoyed it. I didn’t even know Idris was in it so that was an awesome surprise.
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby brettlv5506 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 am

Double Lover is that Italian SpiderMan gif come to life. Watch it this Valentine's Day with someone you love.
brettlv5506
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:03 pm

BLACK PANTHER

I'll start out by saying there is quite a bit of hype surrounding this film. While it is good and better than some other movies within the MCU, I don't believe it's in the upper echelon with the likes of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, THOR: RAGNAROK or the original IRON MAN. Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan do fantastic jobs as both T'Challa/Black Panther and Erik Killmonger respectively. I understand the significance this film holds as being one of only a few minority superheroes but that doesn't mean it gets a free pass for breaking fertile ground. The second to third acts I felt seemed to drag and the film could have been trimmed down some. It opened up wonderfully with some nice action, set designs, use of light/colors and the technology was my favorite aspect of the film. I believe Black Panther is going to be one of the major characters going forward after the next 2 AVENGER films. 7.5/10
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby finneganm on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:25 pm

7.5/10 for a comic book movie is a stellar review.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby 35mmpaul on Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:49 pm

Black Panther is absolutely top tier marvel. Easily top five.

hype is a choice. quality is not.

it has much more to say about the world we live in today than nearly all of the other MCU films.

That's why it's hitting so big with audiences of all backgrounds.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:09 pm

Irishman12 wrote:BLACK PANTHER

I'll start out by saying there is quite a bit of hype surrounding this film. While it is good and better than some other movies within the MCU, I don't believe it's in the upper echelon with the likes of CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR, THOR: RAGNAROK or the original IRON MAN. Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan do fantastic jobs as both T'Challa/Black Panther and Erik Killmonger respectively. I understand the significance this film holds as being one of only a few minority superheroes but that doesn't mean it gets a free pass for breaking fertile ground. The second to third acts I felt seemed to drag and the film could have been trimmed down some. It opened up wonderfully with some nice action, set designs, use of light/colors and the technology was my favorite aspect of the film. I believe Black Panther is going to be one of the major characters going forward after the next 2 AVENGER films. 7.5/10

Civil war is easily the worst cap film.

PS MBJ ALWAYS kills it.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby Irishman12 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:26 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:PS MBJ ALWAYS kill it

I agree with you on this

RambosRemodeler wrote:Civil war is easily the worst cap film

Not so much on this
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV