Ridley Scott - Zero drymounts given...

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 am

The man is a straight shooter and gets the job done. Refreshing in this era of ego stroking and political correctness... 8)

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/ridley-s ... hoots.html

If you can film things that fast, then why do movies take so long to make?
They shouldn’t, that’s why I do two a year. We did Alien: Covenant, which is a very complicated film, in 73 days. That would normally be 130 days. What the drymount are you doing, you know?

Mindhunter?
Yeah. Fincher’s a bit like me, very anal, compulsive. But he’s very good, and that proves that audiences want good. They don’t want fudge; they want good.

You’ve watched other people take over franchises you’ve made. How often are you asked to do that? Has Kathleen Kennedy offered you a Star Wars movie?
No, no. I’m too dangerous for that.

Why is that?
Because I know what I’m doing. [Laughs.] I think they like to be in control, and I like to be in control myself. When you get a guy who’s done a low-budget movie and you suddenly give him $180 million, it makes no sense whatsoever. It’s drymountin’ stupid. You know what the reshoots cost?
rubberneck
Art God

Postby pjsteelerfan on Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:16 am

That was a fun read
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby Codeblue on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:52 pm

rubberneck wrote:ego stroking

Duke's ego is yuuuge.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Codeblue wrote:
rubberneck wrote:ego stroking

Duke's ego is yuuuge.

Duke knows his stuff and doesn't suffer fools or pander to the Hollywood system.

He can be direct cos he knows the studio will still ask for him, even after dropping truth bombs, such is his ability to get 'er done...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby bert on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:06 pm

He’ll always have a pass because of Alien and Blade Runner, but he makes far more misses than hits. I love Hannibal though.

I’m not sure why he’s proud he knocked out Covenant so quickly too, it’s by the numbers tedium that could have done with some care and attention to detail.
bert
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:09 pm

bert wrote:He’ll always have a pass because of Alien and Blade Runner, but he makes far more misses than hits. I love Hannibal though.

I’m not sure why he’s proud he knocked out Covenant so quickly too, it’s by the numbers tedium that could have done with some care and attention to detail.

Yup, Ridley's hit or miss. I do appreciate his candor though and the hits are solid.

I wish Covenant followed more in Prometheus' footsteps instead of pandering to fans of the franchise.

Enjoyed that interview. Thanks for linking :pint:
Last edited by RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:10 pm

bert wrote:He’ll always have a pass because of Alien and Blade Runner, but he makes far more misses than hits. I love Hannibal though.

I prefer it to Prometheus. He got too lofty and precious with it and thankfully went back to something more lean, nasty and weird with AC imo...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:11 pm

I love Prometheus. AC is just okay...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:11 pm

:fight:
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:16 pm

To each their own but I just don't see how anybody could like AC more than Prometheus.

Prometheus looks absolutely gorgeous. The CGI is nowhere near as good in AC - run of the mill.

The cast and characters in Prometheus are much better than AC. I don't care about any of those lamos in AC and wish them all a gruesome death. (Especially Kenny Powers goofy ass.) Noomi Rapace is a million times better than whatever that chick's name is in AC.

Prometheus took the series' mythology and story to places I really liked. AC is just more of the same; wet aliens killing dumbasses.

Fassbender's character/performance are both better in Prometheus.

drymount AC. (Even though I liked it more than most.)

:lol:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby bert on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:19 pm

I like some of the ideas and the design in both Prometheus and Covenant, but neither work as a complete film for me. When I read interviews like the above, I wonder if folk are a bit scared to say “sorry Ridley, don’t think that’s a great idea actually, why don’t you try it another way”...it sounds like his vision is they way it goes, which I respect, but not if things are going in a mediocre direction. Anyway, I don’t mean to badmouth him too much, he’ll always be a hero for Alien and BR.
bert
Art Expert

Postby bodhih on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:20 pm

rubberneck wrote: :fight:

What is... The Duelists, by Ridley Scott, Alex?
Last edited by bodhih on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bodhih
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:21 pm

RottenAtom wrote:To each their own but I just don't see how anybody could like AC more than Prometheus.

Prometheus looks absolutely gorgeous. The CGI is nowhere near as good in AC - run of the mill.

The cast and characters in Prometheus are much better than AC. I don't care about any of those lamos in AC and wish them all a gruesome death. (Especially Kenny Powers goofy ass.) Noomi Rapace is a million times better than whatever that chick's name is in AC.

Prometheus took the series' mythology and story to places I really liked. AC is just more of the same; wet aliens killing dumbasses.

I like its down and dirty approach and embracing what the series really is... :pint:

I feel like Ridley got airs and graces since his early days. He forgets Alien was essentially a haunted house in space, not some philosophical musing on humanity.

He almost pulled it back in on the latest one, not completely successfully tho, he just couldn't help himself...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:31 pm

rubberneck wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:To each their own but I just don't see how anybody could like AC more than Prometheus.

I like its down and dirty approach and embracing what the series really is... :pint:

I feel like Ridley got airs and graces since his early days. He forgets Alien was essentially a haunted house in space, not some philosophical musing on humanity.

He almost pulled it back in on the latest one, not completely successfully tho, he just couldn't help himself...

That's where we differ. I like the philosophical musing on humanity... the Alien haunted house approach, not so much (been there, done that). The original Alien is by far my favorite, but I'm glad that Aliens didn't just rehash it and went with a different, bigger, more tactical war film approach. I appreciate that each movie isn't just a rehash of the original and I thought Prometheus was taking the story and franchise to interesting places. AC just felt like 'more of the same.' If I wanted to watch dummies die in creative ways I'd watch any old B horror film. Nothing wrong with trying to make something of more substance, imo.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:35 pm

Agreed. That's what Prometheus II is for. No place for it in an Alien film tho 8)
rubberneck
Art God

Next

Return to Cinema/TV