***SPOILER DISCUSSION - THE LAST JEDI - ***SPOILERS***

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:15 pm

ccsmd598 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:
rubberneck wrote:The most damming criticism I have for this film is that I really don't have any anticipation for the closer in this trilogy...

Same. TLJ killed my enthusiasm for the next installment and the future of the franchise in Disney's hands.

Not a JJ fan...

Sadly how I feel as well. Nothing really happened in TLJ where the stakes of the next installment feel important, not that they have to - but what do we really have to look forward to besides the obvious Kylo vs Rey storyline?

The seeds of Rians trilogy....

rubberneck
Art God

Postby allyouzombies on Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Y'all be crazy. Rose is the best.

And I can't wait for the next film. Partly because I have zero idea where things will go, and that's exciting.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Postby charter on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:51 pm

Why is Rose the best?
charter
Art Expert

Postby binky79 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:14 pm

I'm still stoked for the Rian Johnson trilogy. I'm not happy with how TLJ turned out, but building your own thing is a lot different than contributing to someone elses.

Also still very excited for JJ wrapping up this trilogy.
binky79
Art Expert

Postby Badbutch on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:37 pm

Charter and RN really nailed it. For all of its flaws, I walked out of TFA really liking these new characters and excited to see where they go from here. TLJ put a spike in that and has me completely disinterested. Bummer.
Badbutch
Art Expert

Image Image Image
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine

Postby Badbutch on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:38 pm

Charter and RN really nailed it. For all of its flaws, I walked out of TFA really liking these new characters and excited to see where they go from here. TLJ put a spike in that and has me completely disinterested. Bummer.
Badbutch
Art Expert

Image Image Image
"'Cause I'm a karate man! And a karate man bruises on the inside!" ~ Billy Ray Valentine

Postby Prisco077 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:51 pm

allyouzombies wrote:
And I can't wait for the next film. Partly because I have zero idea where things will go, and that's exciting.

Exactly how I feel. TFA built great characters, but substituted plot with either rehashed ideas or mystery boxes. For me, mystery boxes rarely pay off in a satisfying way. The reveal is almost always a disappointment. I love that TLJ answered the mysteries posed by TFA in a challenging way. For the first time in years, I watched a star wars movie and genuinely didn't know what was going to happen next. The fact that people can feel the same way about 9 is kind of amazing in the context of this series.
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur

Postby toobs on Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:31 am

charter wrote:Why is Rose the best?

Cause she has Yamaha's haircut

toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Postby jmagee87 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:29 am

Saw it for the third time last night. I really like it more each time I see it. Though I still really dont like the Rose character for some reason. But I'm actually excited to see where this goes
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby chisoxfan2424 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am

Rose was guarding the escape pods for a reason. She sucks.
chisoxfan2424
Art Expert

rmoore wrote:Can't trust someone that doesn't like Jurassic Park...

Postby ccsmd598 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:20 am

She was supposed to come off as uptight + quirky but just came off as a douche IMO. Also responsible for Finn's #metoo moment at the end
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby allyouzombies on Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:50 pm

charter wrote:Why is Rose the best?

Because she's able to maintain clear-eyed idealism in the face of a terrible world. She tells Finn that her childhood was the same as those children on Canto Bight, so she's known nothing but hardship all her life. She has more reason to hate the Empire than anybody, and yet we're constantly reminded that she's more interested in creating than destroying. I personally find that very inspiring.

I will say, though, that her dialogue when she's geeking out with Finn about how hyperspace tracking works, is pretty cheese-tastic.
allyouzombies
Art Connoisseur

Postby Thinker on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:17 pm

Prisco077 wrote:I love that TLJ answered the mysteries posed by TFA in a challenging way.

Give me one mystery from TFA that TLJ answered.

Aside from Rey being Nobody. Which doesn't really count as an answer to a mystery because the whole point to her being nobody is that there was no mystery there to begin with.
Thinker
Art Enthusiast

Postby rubberneck on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Thinker wrote:
Prisco077 wrote:I love that TLJ answered the mysteries posed by TFA in a challenging way.

Aside from Rey being Nobody. Which doesn't really count as an answer to a mystery because the whole point to her being nobody is that there was no mystery there to begin with.

Plus unreliable source with his own agenda...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby Prisco077 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:20 pm

Thinker wrote:

Rey does count. It may not have been satisfying to people, but he answered it. And it serviced the story he was trying to tell by hammering home the theme that anyone could be powerful with the force. It's not something to be measured by a blood test. Also, I'm honestly not sure how Rey being a Kenobi/Skywalker/Solo would make any narrative sense.

The biggest mystery going into TLJ for me was finding out about what happened to Luke. Why he banished himself, how he lost Kylo and how he'd handle Rey. I loved the answers I got to those questions.

As for Snoke, I could care less about his background. He was an underdeveloped character in TFA, and there was no indication we'd get some huge reveal about who he was. That was completely fan made. It took Lucas three prequel films to give the Emperor a backstory. Watching the OT we knew even less about the Emperor than we did about Snoke. Killing him off was shocking and made Kylo, a well developed character, infinitely more interesting to me.

Honest question for people who loved TFA and hated TLJ because of the mystery issues - did it not bother you that TFA basically didn't even bother to explain the first order, or how after the Battle of Endor, the heroes were basically plopped down in the exact same situation as they found themselves in a New Hope? How did the Rebels go from victory to being in the same exact spot? That bothered me way more than anything TLJ.
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV