***SPOILER DISCUSSION - THE LAST JEDI - ***SPOILERS***

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby ccsmd598 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:36 pm

SteveGo wrote:
ONEYE wrote:I am secure in my loathing of SW. I am convinced it's crap. I had nothing else to watch at the time. Glad I did it on the internet. No way would I pay to watch it.


Yeah, you said that already, and no one cared then. It's good to know you're like a lapdog though, all I have to do is quote you and you come running back into the thread.

Here boy...


Image
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby ONEYE on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:40 pm

SteveGo wrote:
ONEYE wrote:I am secure in my loathing of SW. I am convinced it's crap. I had nothing else to watch at the time. Glad I did it on the internet. No way would I pay to watch it.


Yeah, you said that already, and no one cared then. It's good to know you're like a lapdog though, all I have to do is quote you and you come running back into the thread.

Here boy...


ahahaahah You are one with the douche! Going to block you now. As boring and predictable as SW.
User avatar
ONEYE
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 451
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 am
Location: Gastonia, NC 28056 USA

Postby ccsmd598 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:44 pm

ONEYE wrote:
SteveGo wrote:
ONEYE wrote:I am secure in my loathing of SW. I am convinced it's crap. I had nothing else to watch at the time. Glad I did it on the internet. No way would I pay to watch it.


Yeah, you said that already, and no one cared then. It's good to know you're like a lapdog though, all I have to do is quote you and you come running back into the thread.

Here boy...


Image
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby SteveGo on Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:49 pm

ONEYE wrote:
SteveGo wrote:
ONEYE wrote:I am secure in my loathing of SW. I am convinced it's crap. I had nothing else to watch at the time. Glad I did it on the internet. No way would I pay to watch it.


Yeah, you said that already, and no one cared then. It's good to know you're like a lapdog though, all I have to do is quote you and you come running back into the thread.

Here boy...


ahahaahah You are one with the douche! Going to block you now. As boring and predictable as SW.


Good boy.
User avatar
SteveGo
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 387
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 12:25 pm
Location: Tucson

Postby FrankBooth on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:10 pm

mafurman wrote:
chisoxfan2424 wrote:This seems like a real weak move. To me, Luke's character is the best part of this movie and he gives a great performance (probably his best of his career). So for him to turn around and complain that he doesn't like what they did with the character is week.


He's the face of the character and it's personification. Barely a performance in TLJ, not his fault but he just didn't have much to do.
User avatar
FrankBooth
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2841
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:01 am
Location: Queens, New York
ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby charter on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:02 pm

My thoughts summed: Frustrated

This movie basically undoes The Force Awakens. Everything setup in the last movie is undone and tossed aside. Who is Snoke? No one. Who is Rey’s parents? No one. How did Maz get the light saber? Who cares...she’s fighting with a selfie stick. How will Luke save the resistance? He won’t. He will save 5 minutes of time by force projecting even though everyone figures out that there is a back door to escape. Who are the Knights of Ren? No one.

Finn is a complete waste of time in this movie. I understand failed missions and consequences but no one wants to watch a movie about how Han Solo didn’t complete the Kessel run for making dumb mistakes.

Poe is now a hot head jackass that got hundreds of people killed but he learned his lesson so everything is a-ok. What a dumb character arc.

Rose is the second worst character in Star Wars next to Jar Jar.

The movie is more about throwing away the old, Kylo says this in his villain speech, and bringing in the new. No Rian. No one wants unconnected Star Wars movies. It then ends with drymounting broom boy? Are you kidding me? Now that the Jedi are gone and no one taught Rey how to build a lightsaber, I guess the new Jedi will fight with broom sticks. All Rian had to do was make a good movie with an interesting plot with interesting characters and throw in some fan service. Rogue One did all of that. Why was it so hard for Ep 8?

How do bombs “drop” in space and why make your bombers the slowest vehicles in the galaxy?

Leia had a perfect, poignant, beautiful death scene but noooo...she had to fly. Now they will kill her off screen.

It wasn’t horrible or terrible but I thought pretty weak. On par with RotJ. It had a great fight scene in Snoke’s lair and Holdo’s sacrifice was stunning. Hamill really sold what he had to work with.

Rogue One > TFA > TLJ
User avatar
charter
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9762
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am
Location: Denver, John Denver

Postby charter on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:53 pm

mobius006 wrote:
rikkirattoe wrote:Johnson also threw in a lil Vegetarian commentary earlier when Chewy was set to eat that bird as well as a sacred mirror reference with Rey. Dude seems like a hardcore lefty. Good for him trying to use his platform to share some of his social agenda. Unfortunately much of it felt out of place to me though.


So I would like to come back to this comment. If you are sitting down for a meal, and an alive versions of what you are about to eat is in front of you.

It looks to have real emotions on what you are about to do, and is mortified.. would you still eat it?

Chewie killed it though, tore off its head and feet, and then tore out all the feathers to roast it. I get the humor but Chewie already murdered the thing...take a bite Chewie.
User avatar
charter
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9762
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 am
Location: Denver, John Denver

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Saw it again last night. I really want to like the film more but didn't really get an emotional reaction out of it both times. Because I love Star Wars I really feel like I had to find a way to like it, but in the end I can't find too many things to be excited about - nothing memorable that I think people will be talking about in 10-20+ years. Maybe it'll grow on me with time, maybe not.
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby wonkabars7 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 pm

charter wrote:My thoughts summed: Frustrated

This movie basically undoes The Force Awakens. Everything setup in the last movie is undone and tossed aside. Who is Snoke? No one. Who is Rey’s parents? No one. How did Maz get the light saber? Who cares...she’s fighting with a selfie stick. How will Luke save the resistance? He won’t. He will save 5 minutes of time by force projecting even though everyone figures out that there is a back door to escape. Who are the Knights of Ren? No one.

Finn is a complete waste of time in this movie. I understand failed missions and consequences but no one wants to watch a movie about how Han Solo didn’t complete the Kessel run for making dumb mistakes.

Poe is now a hot head jackass that got hundreds of people killed but he learned his lesson so everything is a-ok. What a dumb character arc.

Rose is the second worst character in Star Wars next to Jar Jar.

The movie is more about throwing away the old, Kylo says this in his villain speech, and bringing in the new. No Rian. No one wants unconnected Star Wars movies. It then ends with drymounting broom boy? Are you kidding me? Now that the Jedi are gone and no one taught Rey how to build a lightsaber, I guess the new Jedi will fight with broom sticks. All Rian had to do was make a good movie with an interesting plot with interesting characters and throw in some fan service. Rogue One did all of that. Why was it so hard for Ep 8?

How do bombs “drop” in space and why make your bombers the slowest vehicles in the galaxy?

Leia had a perfect, poignant, beautiful death scene but noooo...she had to fly. Now they will kill her off screen.

It wasn’t horrible or terrible but I thought pretty weak. On par with RotJ. It had a great fight scene in Snoke’s lair and Holdo’s sacrifice was stunning. Hamill really sold what he had to work with.

Rogue One > TFA > TLJ


PREACH
User avatar
wonkabars7
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6766
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 2:13 pm

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:55 pm

:!:
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14351
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby Kramerica on Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:57 pm

Rose sucks but she is way better than young Anakin.
User avatar
Kramerica
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 12863
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am
Location: Corner of 1st & 1st
When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Kramerica wrote:Rose sucks but she is way better than young Anakin.


Image
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby rubberneck on Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:49 pm

I understand the intent Rian had, but felt it just didn't have the exuberance or joy of TFA, or a familiar recall of the SW universe we know and love as done in R1.

I want to gleefully get wrapped up in Star Wars for a few hours, not just endure a dour resentful plotline play out. This was more so a Nolanesque 'gritty' universe attempt but then unfortunately had misjudged 'humor' shoehorned in, these themselves more like snark or winks tho, than just plain fun or silliness.

I liked it but it genuinely felt like it was trying too hard to subvert and be something else. The SW universe has been pretty much well defined, there's not that many other places you can go with it, either embrace that or make a series not called Star Wars. Disney tho wants the brand recognition and customers, but not the universe as inherited, they know its quite limiting in opportunities for new movies and characters. The question now is if JJ will try to reel it back in and the final film is too much fan service and repair, without being it's own entity?

The most damming criticism I have for this film is that I really don't have any anticipation for the closer in this trilogy...
User avatar
rubberneck
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 24847
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby RottenAtom on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:01 pm

rubberneck wrote:The most damming criticism I have for this film is that I really don't have any anticipation for the closer in this trilogy...


Same. TLJ killed my enthusiasm for the next installment and the future of the franchise in Disney's hands.

Not a JJ fan...
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14351
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:07 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
rubberneck wrote:The most damming criticism I have for this film is that I really don't have any anticipation for the closer in this trilogy...


Same. TLJ killed my enthusiasm for the next installment and the future of the franchise in Disney's hands.

Not a JJ fan...


Sadly how I feel as well. Nothing really happened in TLJ where the stakes of the next installment feel important, not that they have to - but what do we really have to look forward to besides the obvious Kylo vs Rey storyline?

Possible storylines:

Rey's parents: ship sailed - PASS

Rey going to the darkside: ship sailed - PASS
User avatar
ccsmd598
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1745
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 5:33 pm
Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests