Blade Runner 2049 (spoilers allowed)

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby duckyhoward on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:19 pm

I really liked it. Visually and sonically stunning and lots of stuff to take in, enjoy and then unpack later on. 24 hours later and i am still asking myself a whole bunch of questions about elements of the film. I will definitely have to see it again on the big screen.

I did a solo Saturday morning session at the local multiplex in VMax (biggest screen and sound in town) and was surprised there were only about 5 other people in the 200+ seat cinema.

Surely Roger Deakins for the win (finally) - oscar for cinematography :notworthy: . No other film will come close to looking as beautiful as BR2049 this year.

With respect to other films in Denis Villeneuve's back catalog i think Incendies is a must see and will stick with you a long time after the film has finished
https://letterboxd.com/film/incendies/
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby mobius006 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:38 pm

So pretty disappointed with the 3D showing. Was an XD theater.

Post converting is fine, but this can't hold up to The Martian or Prometheus. There's such a flat feeling to any background lighting that isn't there in those 2 films.
mobius006
Art Freak

Liberal Democratic - Print Conservative: Pro Government Regulations, Anti Reprints and Timed Editions.

Postby dryerase on Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:49 pm

Just happened to see this article just before I read your post:
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/roger-deakins-blade-runner-2049-dont-watch-3d-1201886963/
Will probably go see it again in IMAX or XD next weekend, but no 3D.
dryerase
Art Connoisseur

Postby rubberneck on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 am

‘Blade Runner 2049’ Composer Benjamin Wallfisch on the Unique Score, Experimenting, & Vangelis

http://collider.com/blade-runner-2049-b ... /#composer
rubberneck
Art God

Postby rubberneck on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:20 am

Villeneuve directed Peta on the soundstage alongside Ford. "But then he got to direct it again when we did all the CG work," says Nelson. "All of those little moments of the mannerisms that we drilled into from the original movie, we incorporated those into the performance digitally." One thing Nelson particularly is happy with? "I'm really proud of those flyaway hairs," he says. "Digital hair is really beautiful but sometimes it can be too perfect. So we made flyaway hair the way it would in real life." One particular "super secret" Saturday in Budapest, both Sean Young and Loren Peta were put in a facial motion-capture rig and filmed, with both women saying Rachael's dialogue from the film. It greatly helped the animators later on in the complicated human-building process. "Only a couple of places could do it," says Nelson of the visual effects company MPC that worked on building Rachael's face from model to skeleton to human.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby rubberneck on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:44 pm

IMAX themed intro was awesome imo...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby jkw3000 on Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Sums it up quite nicely.

jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby BB8 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:20 pm

Finally saw it.

An absolute masterpiece of a movie from beginning to end. Every second of the running time is masterfully crafted. It would take a lot for me to say that this is better than the original but having walked out of it an hour ago, I say it with confidence. Time will only tell if that feeling sticks.

Words can't even do it justice.

Cinematography and Music deserve the praise it is getting, as all expected, but that's just the beginning with this film. The writing and performances here are among the best cinema has to offer. Just incredible.

The details, Joi's character, the crash landing in the junk yard place, the beehive area, the fight taking place in the crashing waves at the end. GOD, ugh. Jesus. Just everything, there is too much to list. It all just works, each little detail individually and the entire thing working as a whole.

and Ana de Armas might be the most beautiful woman on the planet
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Postby fallstaff on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:11 am

^Well said!
An extraordinary follow-up to one of the 20th century's most important films. But to your one preference, I'm more partial to Carla Juri's Luv. :wink:
fallstaff
Art Connoisseur

Postby deancc on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:21 am

michaelmillichamp wrote:
binky79 wrote:Anybody who is just getting into Villeneuve should definitely check out 'Prisoners' ASAP. I saw it for the first time in the run-up to 'Blade Runner 2049' and I thought it was absolutely amazing. Probably liked it more than Blade Runner 2049 and Arrival.

Prisoners rules but Enemy is the tits.

Agreed.
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby hunterjax on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 am

rubberneck wrote:

IMAX themed intro was awesome imo...

yeah! I totally forgot to mention that earlier, thought it was very cool; hopefully will be what they use for a while.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby hunterjax on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:09 am

wanted to see it again in IMAX but already ousted by Geostorm. Has anyone seen it in 3D? I generally am not a 3D fan, but wondering if it's worth it to try to see it again that way, or just on the next biggest screen I can find since IMAX is no longer an option.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby rubberneck on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:16 am

hunterjax wrote:wanted to see it again in IMAX but already ousted by Geostorm. Has anyone seen it in 3D? I generally am not a 3D fan, but wondering if it's worth it to try to see it again that way, or just on the next biggest screen I can find since IMAX is no longer an option.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/roger- ... 201886963/
rubberneck
Art God

Postby BB8 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:30 am

hunterjax wrote:wanted to see it again in IMAX but already ousted by Geostorm. Has anyone seen it in 3D? I generally am not a 3D fan, but wondering if it's worth it to try to see it again that way, or just on the next biggest screen I can find since IMAX is no longer an option.

Why is IMAX no longer and option? I saw it last night in IMAX.
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Postby earlgreytoast on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:33 am

Cause that crock of fudge Geostorm is now playing on most IMAX screens.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV