Blade Runner 2049 (spoilers allowed)

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby custardpye on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:28 am

Any UK folks interested in shipping one of these HVM exclusive Mondo steelbooks to the States?
Releases 2/5/18
HVM only shipping to UK :hanging:

https://store.hmv.com/film-tv/4k-ultra- ... -exclusive)

*edit* HVM seems to be disabling linking or I just can't Internet very well. 4k version is what I'm after.
custardpye
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:24 pm

I've never heard of Altered Carbon, but a critic I follow from India who generally has good taste said this about it:

"I am just two episodes into Altered Carbon and I am convinced that Netflix' new series is the most intoxicating and intelligent stuff available on air right now. If you love sci-fi then you just can't afford to miss it... here is not just an answer to #BladeRunner but all that we have hitherto seen in the imaginative world of science fiction at large."

Anybody seen it? Thoughts?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Codeblue on Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:17 pm

Watched 2 episodes so far and it's definitely heavily borrowing from blade runner and stories like brave new world. The lady likes it a lot more than I do, but I'm still watching.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby Devours on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:38 pm

Visually it is pretty and some concepts are pretty interesting. Only 3 episodes in myself and yet I find that Joel Kinnaman seems out of place in this role. The atmosphere is not as dirty or tactile as the original Blade Runner but so far not bad. DARK still ruled for me as being the best show on Netflix for 2017.

I found the Blade Runner 2049 pretty underwhelming and not at all brave in storytelling. Pretty weak considering past films by D.V are fantastically substantial.
Last edited by Devours on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Postby Codeblue on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:51 pm

Dark is great but now we're def in teh wrong thread.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby Devours on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Yep sorry. :)

Will finish the season up for sure though.
Devours
Art Connoisseur

Postby RadRacing on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am

Damn fine film, I say.
RadRacing
Art Expert

Postby fredo on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:16 pm

I enjoyed Blade Runner (aka The BSG Cylon Backstory) last night. Doesn't have the gravity of the OG but it was a solid, beautiful detective flick. Killer soundtrack. Hope to see it again soonish.

In the end though I don't really care about robot freedoms/feelings and so it didn't resonate too deeply. Had a similar issue with the original, but less so because BR1 was primarily an ideas film centered around an ambiguous/conflicted person in a world of our making. Explicitly drawing Deckard and K as replicants pulled that entire rug out for me. Pretty neat trick to get you to wonder if he'd been 'born', but only as a plotting conceit. Also didn't buy that his woman in a pen was in love... or that Luv could be drowned! Didn't these things used to work in space?

Anyhow, I gotta eat some crow for trashing it.

ps I laughed at the line "He doesn't like real girls".
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0805564/
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby finneganm on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:33 pm

I didn’t initially make that connection, that’s fantastic.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby iwokeinrelief on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:33 am

Finally saw this last night, enjoyed it a great deal.

Picked up a 4k player over the weekend and this was the first UHD movie I've watched. Looked absurdly good; a bit sad that there isn't much available on the format currently, as I very much have the desire to see more.
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:53 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I've never heard of Altered Carbon, but a critic I follow from India who generally has good taste said this about it:

"I am just two episodes into Altered Carbon and I am convinced that Netflix' new series is the most intoxicating and intelligent stuff available on air right now. If you love sci-fi then you just can't afford to miss it... here is not just an answer to #BladeRunner but all that we have hitherto seen in the imaginative world of science fiction at large."

Anybody seen it? Thoughts?

Late on this response, but anyway: I haven't finished it yet, but there are definite parallels to BR and the questions that it asks. The show actually is doing a better job of presenting those ideas than I expected, but still not nearly as well as the books did. If you watch it and have any interest in it, I highly recommend reading the books. Morgan is a pretty talented writer and despite borrowing a lot from BR and everything by William Gibson, he explores a lot of those ideas (ie, what does it mean to be human?) in new and different ways.

Takeshi Kovacs is a pretty fascinating character that, unfortunately, Joel Kinnneman just isn't talented enough to convey (although he's great in the action seems and he's got the condescending attitude down pretty well.)
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:03 pm

[youtube]O_2JFRuR3zs[/youtube]

Now we just need a 3D printer, sound chip, LED, 9 volt battery and speaker...
rubberneck
Art God

Postby hunterjax on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:47 pm

awesome. "we're done."
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby rubberneck on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:49 pm

[youtube]gQ8noORAJuc[/youtube]
rubberneck
Art God

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV