Cutting the cable

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby iwokeinrelief on Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Gigantico wrote:Directv Now, is this app crap for everyone else? Using a brand new Apple TV 4K. Everything else works fine (Netflix, Prime etc) except DirecTV Now. Goes for awhile and then internet supposedly disconnects, but not really. From what I've read, seems like it's just the app.

I hated the service on my Apple TV, which admittedly was the only place I used it. I switched over to PlayStation Vue and love it. There are a handful of channels not available on the service (due to a dispute with, I think, Viacom) but it has all the sports stuff I want, and the kids stuff my kids want. Hell of a lot cheaper than I was paying Fios for cable also...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby Gigantico on Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:13 pm

I'll keep messing with it and check out Vue. Thanks.
Gigantico
Art Connoisseur

Postby mliddell on Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 am

I liked cable growing up. Horror hosts. Joe Bob Briggs. Snick. USA Up all night with Rhonda. No on demand. No DVR. You'd have to wait and look forward to something coming on.
mliddell
Art Expert

Postby piper27 on Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:54 am

mliddell wrote:I liked cable growing up. Horror hosts. Joe Bob Briggs. Snick. USA Up all night with Rhonda. No on demand. No DVR. You'd have to wait and look forward to something coming on.

and TV Guides!
piper27
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:Try vigorously rubbing yer peen on it several times.

Postby WolfBrewer on Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 am

Ditched google fiber cable two years ago after they increased pricing and no ragerts. Strong wifi + apps and $2k/year saved feels good.
WolfBrewer
Art Connoisseur

Postby MJGallicchio on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:32 am

I echo everyone that said PS Vue. I've tried DirecTV Now a few times with free trials but I just don't like it as much.
MJGallicchio
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:17 am

ever since DirecTV Now went to the cloud DVR, I've noticed quite a few problems. I was a beta tester so they were known issues but it seems they just never fixed them.

example: will hit a button on the remote to start AppleTV, scroll down to the app, and open. tv starts playing, I go to click on Guide... freezes. close app, open up - same thing. close app again, wait a few moments - then it works.

DVR issue: starts recording before/after the scheduled time and starts before/after scheduled time.

I'm sure they'll work the kinks out but unless you're grandfathered into the $35/month plan from way back when... there's probably better options.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:13 am

PSVue is great but it seems to go up by $5/mo pretty regularly. I hope they find a way to maintain price for a longer time frame
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby iwokeinrelief on Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:21 am

Cinlabyrinth wrote:PSVue is great but it seems to go up by $5/mo pretty regularly. I hope they find a way to maintain price for a longer time frame

Yeah, agreed. Truthfully, outside of some sports, I only use the subscription to unlock the Cartoon Network and Disney Now app content for my kids. Probably need to move to a more seasonal approach where I only subscribe to Vue during football season and a cheaper/lesser option the rest of the year.

But I'm pretty lazy...
iwokeinrelief
Art Expert

Postby theperfecttree on Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Was set on getting Hulu TV until I found out there isn't an app on my TV and I'd have to get a chromecast or something else. Signed up for Youtube TV instead this evening. Mostly want it for college football and to watch a few shows like Better Call Saul. Still have normal Hulu and will keep it for now. The extra $4/mo to not have ads has also been worth it as well.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Postby dweebofthedead on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 pm

theperfecttree wrote:Was set on getting Hulu TV until I found out there isn't an app on my TV and I'd have to get a chromecast or something else. Signed up for Youtube TV instead this evening. Mostly want it for college football and to watch a few shows like Better Call Saul. Still have normal Hulu and will keep it for now. The extra $4/mo to not have ads has also been worth it as well.

I started with Hulu TV, but it didn't work well with my Chromecast.

I've had YouTube TV for over a year, and I've had no issues. Works great.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby theperfecttree on Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:58 pm

^thanks, glad I didn't try going that route. Other services might do this as well but I really appreciate being able to hide all the channels I know I'll never watch. Also the ability to reorganize the rest of the channels in a custom order.
theperfecttree
EB Team

Postby binky79 on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:18 am

dweebofthedead wrote:I've had YouTube TV for over a year, and I've had no issues. Works great.

Me too...

Until it went down during the World Cup Semi-Final England/Croatia game. :evil:

I was able to use my YouTubeTV login info to watch the stream on the Fox Sports app, but it will be a while before I completely trust it again.
binky79
Art Expert

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV