MoviePass

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Irishman12 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:52 pm

xangelx wrote:The end is nigh. Use e-ticket theaters while you can, the service is otherwise shut off right now and may never come back.

That's my plan. It was brought back up last night but with the surge pricing, the only way I can avoid that it seems on opening weekend is to go to an e-ticketing theater. When MoviePass does finally fold, I'll be switching to AMC's A-List.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby cutterbutter on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 pm

cutterbutter
Art Expert

ImageImage

Postby Codeblue on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:23 pm

Stock in its parent company, Helios and Matheson (HMNY), has dropped more than 99% since last fall. The company's market value has plunged from $8.8 billion to less than $1 million.

The stock more than doubled on Tuesday after MoviePass announced the price increase, but it quickly gave up all of that gain. The stock was trading at 79 cents at midmorning.

In a new "plan for profitability," the company also noted that cost-cutting has helped bring its cash-burning under control. It has been blowing through $20 million to $40 million each month, according to regulatory filings.

Luls.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Anyone using that AMC service?

Been thinking about it.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby xangelx on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:01 pm

cutterbutter wrote:https://money.cnn.com/2018/07/31/media/moviepass-price-increase/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2018-07-31T18%3A03%3A12&utm_term=link&utm_source=twCNN

This stuff may have helped 6 months ago. If they don't get a huge investment they will be done pretty soon. Gonna go see Blindspotting tomorrow while I still can.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby jlabbate on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:32 pm

FrankBooth wrote:Anyone using that AMC service?

Been thinking about it.

that AMC pass is great for Queens/NYC, it seems like 1/2 the theaters here are AMC
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby michaelmillichamp on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:07 pm

FrankBooth wrote:Anyone using that AMC service?

Been thinking about it.

It's pretty amazing. Posted about it a few pages back. I live next to 3 AMCs all within a hundred yards from each other which all have a good variety of indies and blockbusters.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby Codeblue on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:09 pm

Can't imagine they'll keep it going (especially at dat price) once they kill off MP.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby theperfecttree on Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:28 pm

just cancelled my membership. I didn't mind the idea of surge pricing but I was seeing $8 surge pricing on $9.20 tickets directly from the theater. The inability to book in advance was a pain point for me as well.
Hopefully they can figure things out.

I did sign up for the wait list for Alamo Drafthouse's upcoming trial. we'll see if they follow through on that
theperfecttree
EB Team

Postby michaelmillichamp on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:39 pm

Codeblue wrote:Can't imagine they'll keep it going (especially at dat price) once they kill off MP.

They said they were gonna keep it like that for a year. But yeah, I bet they raise it to 30-40 a month in a year or two. Still a good deal if you can make at least a movie a week.
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur

Postby 63schoeffling on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:04 am

Probably going to cancel MP soon. Still loved the fact I was able to get way more than my units worth over the last 9 months or whatever it was.

Not many AMC's around Philly and most of the ones are trashy so I will probably go back to seeing 3 movies a year in theaters, ha.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby 35mmpaul on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:54 pm

i have AMC A-List and Moviepass. The AMC one is much more flexible. Moviepass is still good in certain instances.

but it baffles me that they think they can keep customers by doing so many limits on their service.

it was great while it lasted.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Irishman12 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:59 pm

I'm going to wait and see what happens tomorrow. The only release this week I want to see is THE SPY WHO DUMPED ME. I usually go to a Cinemark but they've been surge pricing recently. However, there is also a theater nearby that offers e-ticketing. If I have problems seeing the movie tomorrow I'll probably just bite the bullet and sign up for AMC. MoviePass said it would up it's price to $15 and some of the blockbuster movies wouldn't be available until 2 weeks after their initial release, unless it's part of a promotion. If that part of the service change comes true, I'll definitely drop it. I'm not waiting 2 weeks after a movie's been out to see it. Besides, with the new price being introduced, AMC will only be $5 more.
Irishman12
Art Expert

Postby jjttdw on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:10 pm

Curiously, what are the movie pass upcharge rates? I've only used it to see movies that have been out a while.
jjttdw
Art Expert

NEWPORTS69 wrote:ive kept journal for very long time and ranked public restrooms because i srs hate using them, was working on an app but im not very smart

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:32 pm

jjttdw wrote:Curiously, what are the movie pass upcharge rates? I've only used it to see movies that have been out a while.

I've seen anywhere in my area from $2 and change, something like $2.43, up to $6.00. Majority of which have been from $4 to $6 when I check. I've seen screen shots of $8 surcharges but haven't seen those in the app myself.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV