MoviePass

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby xangelx on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 am

FrankBooth wrote:Was checking this out, some trouble though: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/25/1693 ... rt-tickets

Ha! I used it at that Boston theater just yesterday. Guess I just got in under the gun.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby Irishman12 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:28 pm

xangelx wrote:
FrankBooth wrote:Was checking this out, some trouble though: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/25/1693 ... rt-tickets

Ha! I used it at that Boston theater just yesterday. Guess I just got in under the gun.

I used it yesterday too but not at any of the theaters listed in the article. I hope AMC doesn't stop accepting it. They're one of the only theaters around me that'll play the limited release movies such as DARKEST HOUR, PHANTOM THREAD, MOLLY'S GAME, etc.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:54 am

Anybody else get the dreaded e-mail that you have to begin taking pictures of your ticket stub and uploading it? I did it yesterday and today and it hasn't been as bad. But I could see it being a headache if, for whatever reason, the system isn't working or you need to reupload it again because I've heard you won't be able to use your MoviePass again until it's uploaded.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:24 pm

I didn't personally but have had friends that have. It's just a way for them to help curb fraud.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby xangelx on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Irishman12 wrote:Anybody else get the dreaded e-mail that you have to begin taking pictures of your ticket stub and uploading it? I did it yesterday and today and it hasn't been as bad. But I could see it being a headache if, for whatever reason, the system isn't working or you need to reupload it again because I've heard you won't be able to use your MoviePass again until it's uploaded.

Yup I got the email the other day as well. Seems annoying but not a big deal considering I've now seen 30 movies using Moviepass, a little extra work for the savings is fine with me.
xangelx
Art Expert

"If I could fly high above the world, would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity" - Bad Religion

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:51 pm

xangelx wrote:
Irishman12 wrote:Anybody else get the dreaded e-mail that you have to begin taking pictures of your ticket stub and uploading it? I did it yesterday and today and it hasn't been as bad. But I could see it being a headache if, for whatever reason, the system isn't working or you need to reupload it again because I've heard you won't be able to use your MoviePass again until it's uploaded.

Yup I got the email the other day as well. Seems annoying but not a big deal considering I've now seen 30 movies using Moviepass, a little extra work for the savings is fine with me.

I agree, an extra step but so far the last 2 days it hasn't been an issue at all. The only problem I've had was since I updated the app yesterday, it wanted me to log out and back in to begin taking pictures of the stubs. When I did it wasn't accepting my password so I had to reset it. Other than that, it's still easy peasy.

35mmpaul, I've heard before that this will curb scamming the system, but how can you really scam the system? The card can only be used to purchase movie tickets. The only thing I can think of is if you bought a Fathom Event, 3D or something else that isn't supported by MoviePass.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

Postby 35mmpaul on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:07 pm

It's impossibly easy to scam them.

They aren't in anyway affiliated with the theaters. And now both the theaters and moviepass are a little more wise to certain things.

But you can

Put money on to gift cards. (most theaters are very wise to this now. but heard a few people doing that during the early years.)
Buy snacks with it.
Buy tickets to movies in advanced
Buy imax and 3d. (which is beyond annoying. they should just make it additional cost to memebers, also miss the deluxe membership version where 3D and imax were covered.)
Etc.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby xangelx on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 pm

35mmpaul wrote:It's impossibly easy to scam them.

They aren't in anyway affiliated with the theaters. And now both the theaters and moviepass are a little more wise to certain things.

But you can

Put money on to gift cards. (most theaters are very wise to this now. but heard a few people doing that during the early years.)
Buy snacks with it.
Buy tickets to movies in advanced
Buy imax and 3d. (which is beyond annoying. they should just make it additional cost to memebers, also miss the deluxe membership version where 3D and imax were covered.)
Etc.

You mean buy giftcards using your moviepass then buy the rest of this stuff with the gift cards? Or buy all this on your moviepass? Wouldn't they easily be able to see you charging more than a movie ticket and just cancel your account?
xangelx
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:06 am

xangelx wrote:You mean buy giftcards using your moviepass then buy the rest of this stuff with the gift cards? Or buy all this on your moviepass? Wouldn't they easily be able to see you charging more than a movie ticket and just cancel your account?

Basically people were / are going and buying a gift card with the exact balance of what a movie ticket would be. If you were close to a movie theater and just stopped by each day to do this it would add up very quickly.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby xangelx on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:25 am

BENYOUNG20 wrote:
xangelx wrote:You mean buy giftcards using your moviepass then buy the rest of this stuff with the gift cards? Or buy all this on your moviepass? Wouldn't they easily be able to see you charging more than a movie ticket and just cancel your account?

Basically people were / are going and buying a gift card with the exact balance of what a movie ticket would be. If you were close to a movie theater and just stopped by each day to do this it would add up very quickly.

Ahhh interesting...
xangelx
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:27 am

I used my movie pass over the weekend and I didn't run into the prompt that required proof of purchase..just business as usual here
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby ghornett on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:54 am

Screen-Shot-2018-04-17-at-11.48.28-AM.jpg
Screen-Shot-2018-04-17-at-11.48.28-AM.jpg (17.72 KiB) Viewed 255 times

zzzzz another movie pass article, but the illustrated cover is great. no artist credited.

http://variety.com/2018/film/features/m ... 202754312/
ghornett
Art Enthusiast

Postby dweebofthedead on Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:07 am

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got the dreaded snap of a photo of your movie stub email. Also, they took away repeat viewing on my account, too.
dweebofthedead
Art Expert

Postby xangelx on Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:59 am

dweebofthedead wrote:Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got the dreaded snap of a photo of your movie stub email. Also, they took away repeat viewing on my account, too.

I've had the photo thing for a couple weeks, doesn't really bug me, it's easy to snap a pic and upload while I'm walking from the box office to the theater. The repeated movie restriction sucks, I've only seen a couple movies more than once but it was nice to have the option. I don't think Moviepass is long for this world but I'm gonna use it as much as I can while it lasts. Avengers and Disobedience on the list for this week.
xangelx
Art Expert

Postby Irishman12 on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:42 pm

xangelx wrote:
dweebofthedead wrote:Well, it was fun while it lasted. Got the dreaded snap of a photo of your movie stub email. Also, they took away repeat viewing on my account, too.

I've had the photo thing for a couple weeks, doesn't really bug me, it's easy to snap a pic and upload while I'm walking from the box office to the theater. The repeated movie restriction sucks, I've only seen a couple movies more than once but it was nice to have the option. I don't think Moviepass is long for this world but I'm gonna use it as much as I can while it lasts. Avengers and Disobedience on the list for this week.

Same here. I've had the photo thing for a few weeks now. A little annoying but it hasn't prevented me from seeing another movie like I know it has for some. And yes, it definitely sucks that you can no longer see the same movie more than once! I only did it with about 5 movies but like you said, it was nice to have the option. For new customers who sign up, they no longer have the unlimited option. Now it's 4 movies a month for $9.99 with a free 3-month subscription to I Heart Radio. I wonder how long that'll take to make it's way down to us? Also like you said, I'll use it as much as I can while it lasts but yes, these new changes kinda suck. Not enough to motivate me to cancel, but I have a feeling it's the beginning of the end.
Irishman12
Art Connoisseur

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV