13 reasons why...

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby shoeless on Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:21 pm

I wanted to know how the hell everybody had a tape player.
shoeless
Art Expert

fnord wrote:If you like something, for the love of dog don't share it with EB.

Postby IWish on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:05 am

Based off of what I've seen posted about this show...man, I'm glad I didn't finish it.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby MooseThompson on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:27 am

All you need to watch it the first five and last five minutes of episodes 1-11. Then, watch 12 and 13 in full, and you're good. Everything else was strung out time killing garbage.
MooseThompson
Art Connoisseur

Postby cotis on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:42 am

local high schools sent out an e-mail/press release warning parents about this show.

is it that jarring?
cotis
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:46 am

cotis wrote:
is it that jarring?

I wondered about this too. Not that I'm going to watch it...I don't need those kind of images in my head.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby thefool on Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:59 am

cotis wrote:local high schools sent out an e-mail/press release warning parents about this show.

is it that jarring?

some people were saying that it glorifies suicide - i would disagree with that though
thefool
Art Connoisseur

Postby bmd1191 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:44 pm

cotis wrote:local high schools sent out an e-mail/press release warning parents about this show.

is it that jarring?

I would say it is. The whole show is very realistic in it's portrayal of everything and the suicide and rape scenes are very realistic and hard to watch. While I don't think it glamorizes suicide, it is definitely a show that maybe shouldn't be watched by people (especially teens) who are in a depressed, sad, or "vulnerable" state of mind. And that is what the schools are getting at is just warn your kids or watch it with them. Teens may sympathize with the characters, and not be able to really understand or process the themes of the show properly, depending on their state of mind.

There is also viewer discretion warnings before the episodes that have rape or suicide in them.
bmd1191
Art Connoisseur

Postby turnJBup on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:53 pm

The only issue I have with the rape scene is why the drymount aren't you screaming and running away?
Or at least trying...
What are you doing at a known rapists house after the party, in his hot tub all alone in your underwear?
Rape is real and disgusting, but that scene and circumstances surrounding it actually lean toward the girl not having a case. Which derails all of the effort we put forth to actually stop rape from happening.
turnJBup
Art Expert

Postby bmd1191 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:19 pm

turnJBup wrote:The only issue I have with the rape scene is why the drymount aren't you screaming and running away?
Or at least trying...
What are you doing at a known rapists house after the party, in his hot tub all alone in your underwear?
Rape is real and disgusting, but that scene and circumstances surrounding it actually lean toward the girl not having a case. Which derails all of the effort we put forth to actually stop rape from happening.

I definitely see your point. I think though the point the show was trying to make was that she was so messed up in her head at this point that she doesn't see anything of things you mentioned. She hears a party and see her friends, especially Jessica, and they invite her into the hot tub. She says no at first, but she is so desperate to be included and have that sense of friendship she gets in.

They focus on her face going during the rape for a reason. She just goes lifeless and loses everything during that moment, she gives up. While I don't know much about rape, or know anyone personally who experienced it, the scene seemed very realistic to me.

But everyone sees things differently. To each his own.
bmd1191
Art Connoisseur

Postby bmd1191 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:23 pm

Also to anyone who watched the show you should check out the 30 minute documentary, Beyond The Reasons, after you watch it. Disregard Selena Gomez and her being a producer, but the shows creators and everyone involved talks about why they filmed all the scenes the way they did. They had people who had gone through rape and suicide weigh in on the scenes to make them as authentic as possible.
bmd1191
Art Connoisseur

Postby turnJBup on Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

bmd1191 wrote:
turnJBup wrote:The only issue I have with the rape scene is why the drymount aren't you screaming and running away?
Or at least trying...

I definitely see your point. I think though the point the show was trying to make was that she was so messed up in her head at this point that she doesn't see anything of things you mentioned. She hears a party and see her friends, especially Jessica, and they invite her into the hot tub. She says no at first, but she is so desperate to be included and have that sense of friendship she gets in.

They focus on her face going during the rape for a reason. She just goes lifeless and loses everything during that moment, she gives up. While I don't know much about rape, or know anyone personally who experienced it, the scene seemed very realistic to me.

But everyone sees things differently. To each his own.

Totally see your point. She does give up. Part of my gripe I guess...
I just wanted her to flip around and rake that guy's face with her nails.
Or scream... Something.
turnJBup
Art Expert

Postby bmd1191 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:03 pm

turnJBup wrote:Totally see your point. She does give up. Part of my gripe I guess...
I just wanted her to flip around and rake that guy's face with her nails.
Or scream... Something.

Me too man. Bryce was such a scumbag.

I was really hoping Justin was gonna kill him with the gun he grabbed when he left his house.
bmd1191
Art Connoisseur

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Oh and speaking of guns, it looked like that photo dude was ready to pull another Columbine. They flashed on his trunk full of guns and bombs and then never went back to it. Maybe season 2 story line?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby toobs on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:31 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Oh and speaking of guns, it looked like that photo dude was ready to pull another Columbine. They flashed on his trunk full of guns and bombs and then never went back to it. Maybe season 2 story line?

its for sure going into season 2, i thought it was interesting take on what I guess goes on these days in HS, but honestly it's not much different from what was going on when I went to school 15 years ago, except for the whole internet and social media thing. And before everyone jumps on me saying that's a huge difference, I went to a massive HS in Southern California and in the 90's it didn't take more then a period or two for a rumor or story to be gossiped about through out the school in the mid 90's via pagers, notes and word of mouth. The major difference is how kids are being raised in an over protected/entitled society and when fudge some what hits then fan these days, kids fold like a deck of cards and turn to uber violence against others and themselves instead of growing up and figuring fudge out.
toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV