STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI (SPOILERS IN THREAD)

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby finneganm on Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:56 pm

But did you see it....

On weed?
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:RA, your initial response is how every SW film sits with me upon viewing it. Its almost like I am in shock just because I saw a new SW gospel, and am having a hard time processing.

This is so true. My TFA and Rogue One reviews were some of the most difficult ones I've ever written just because of the property and the difficulty of unpacking everything and writing about it immediately after one screening.

The Force Awakens

Rogue One
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:43 pm

jmagee87 wrote:RA is a bit too "high-brow" of a film lover to love a Star Wars movie, so take his review with a grain of salt :wink:

It's true, I'm a bit of a film snob, BUT I grew up with SW just like the rest of you and it's very near and dear to me too. I'm rooting for them to nail it every time, but it's difficult when their goal is to complete the movie by a deadline (with the intention of making a shitload of money) instead of having the goal of just making a solid, quality Star Wars movie.

(I'm trying to be the level-headed voice of reason here :P )
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby punch on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:01 pm

Really didn't like Force Awakens.. it lost me when they introduced the Starkiller Base. Was really easy to see that they were just repackaging ANH with new characters. I really liked Rouge One for the most part.

I'm still PUMPED to see what Rian Johnson cooked up. I remember watching a physical Brick DVD through the mail version of netflix because I read somewhere online that it was really good. Been a Rian fan ever since.
punch
Art Expert

Postby wonkabars7 on Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:41 pm

I thought TFA was very good if not remarkable when it introduced new ideas and new characters. I agree, with Starkiller Base etc... it really watered it down which is a shame. Feels like a big budget fan film.
It has enough new stuff though for me to dig it.

RO however just irritates me a tad more. Talk about playing it safe. Nothing more than a mediocre sci-fi film covered in a SW skin.
If it weren't a SW film, would anyone have seen it outside of RA? :D
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby finneganm on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:07 pm

drymount that.

Rogue One was awesome.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I have never been excited for a Star Wars film but I am really excited to see this. RIAN JOHNSON GOT ME PUMPED.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby 63schoeffling on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 pm

I thought TFA was lame as hell. Rogue One was pretty badass and one of my favorite SW movies.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Count on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 am

As a so-so SW fan (in that I grew up with and am familiar with the OT, but by no means a hardcore fan) I really enjoyed TFA on initial viewing, and it held up for me when I revisited it last week. Rogue One, however, I could not really get into as I never felt a thing for any of the characters and the first act was a mess.

Looking forward to Last Jedi - as I do for every SW film - but trying to keep my expectations modest. Nothing is going to recapture the magic of the OT, which I first saw as a young boy, and if they can match Force Awakens for me I’ll be happy.
Count
Art Expert

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 am

Everyone enjoy the movie!

Spoilers are out and about from what I’ve heard as well (per Mark Hanmill’s IG)

STAY OFF REDDIT COMMENTS/TWITTER COMMENTS/INSTAGRAM COMMENTS
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby middayshadows on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:03 am

I'm waaay outside the prevailing sentiment here about TFA and RO.

The Force Awakens really floored me. And while no, nothing could ever have the same impact the original trilogy has had on me, it would be ridiculous to deny that I am viewing these new SW films through adult eyes. I went in to TFA putting aside my adult-y inner-film-critic as best I could, and I walked out gleeful. That esteem for it has not lessened very much at all, since then. If there are any flaws I simply dont see them as being greater than the weaknesses that exist throughout the original trilogy films but dont give a fudge to waste time thinking about.

That doesn't mean I'm not aware that TFA isn't absolutely perfect, but what it accomplished far exceeded and out-weighed any of the deficiencies or criticisms that have been lobbed at it, in my opinion. Simply and most importantly, it just felt like Star Wars to me. And I feel they did the primary and single most crucially important thing they needed to do, right: introduce and set up a new, and gigantically appealing and compelling new protagonist around which they can revolve this new trilogy, in Rey. That character is fantastic. Kids (of any age) will emulate her just the same way I did Luke and Han and Leia. And TFA came out two years before Wonder Woman finally proved to Hollywood that a female "action" hero can be bankable (and 40 years after Ripley proved that the first time, but I digress). I think Poe, Kylo Ren and Finn are all great or at the very least incredibly promising characters too.

And, the fact that TFA succeeded in taking the baton pass picking up a saga that ended 30 years ago and carrying characters from that trilogy over to this new one and successfully giving their stories their due, while also introducing several appealing new characters and setting up their stories to set up a new trilogy, and all the while maintaining the tone and energy of an entertaining SW movie, was a gigantic feat.

I cannot be so complimentary towards Rogue One unfortunately, although I did like it.

Not really the nutshell I intended that to be.

tl;dr- if I like The Last Jedi as much as I did TFA , I'll be happy.
Last edited by middayshadows on Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
middayshadows
Art Expert

Image Image

Postby finneganm on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:42 am

Expecting a Star Wars movie to be anything other than a really fun time at the movies is essentially a failure on the expectations of the critic.

It’s Star Wars.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby ccsmd598 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:56 am

finneganm wrote:Expecting a Star Wars movie to be anything other than a really fun time at the movies is essentially a failure on the expectations of the critic.

It’s Star Wars.

Amen
ccsmd598
Art Expert

Ya'll see the leprechaun say yaaaaaa!

Postby earlgreytoast on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 am

Compared to the prequels, TFA was a drymounting masterpiece. They played it super safe though, so my hope for TLJ is that they don't follow the script of ESB and go out on a couple limbs. Like ESB, I am expecting a very dark movie with Luke and/or Leia dying and Rey showing some alternative motivations. We shall see.

I will say that my excitement level for this one is lower than it has ever been for a SW movie. Getting a SW movie once a year has tempered the whole phenomenon and more than ever, just makes it feel cash grabby.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby wonkabars7 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:10 pm

The singular stories feel like a cashgrab, sure, but the saga films will always be fun to anticipate IMO.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV