Filmstruck

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby earlgreytoast on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm

I got a subscription to this newer movie streaming site for Xmas. Includes the criterion collection. Pretty daunting though and the interface isn't all that user friendly. Anyone else a member? I'd love some recommendations.

I just finished Fear and Desire (1953), Kubrick's first feature film and one he later tried to destroy all copies of. It has some redeeming qualities although at just over an hour it plays more like a Twilight Zone episode than a movie.

Tons of Kurosawa and I've never seen anything by him. Where do I start?
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby hunterjax on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:58 pm

earlgreytoast wrote:I got a subscription to this newer movie streaming site for Xmas. Includes the criterion collection. Pretty daunting though and the interface isn't all that user friendly. Anyone else a member? I'd love some recommendations.

I just finished Fear and Desire (1953), Kubrick's first feature film and one he later tried to destroy all copies of. It has some redeeming qualities although at just over an hour it plays more like a Twilight Zone episode than a movie.

Tons of Kurosawa and I've never seen anything by him. Where do I start?

I would start with Ran . . . its amazing and arguably his best.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby deancc on Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:49 pm

I'm hoping to get onto Filmstruck sometime soon. Looks like an amazing selection, with lots of extras.

earlgreytoast wrote:Tons of Kurosawa and I've never seen anything by him. Where do I start?

Ran is my favourite Kurosawa. It's epic and grandiose and I'd highly recommend seeing it at a cinema, if you have a chance.
Best place to start... that depends. Some like to see the best first, or most accessible. Personally, if there's a director that I plan to see a bunch of work from, I usually go through the key films chronologically. I just think it's really cool to see the progression over the years.

I'd go something like this for Kurosawa (all classics and all great)...

Rashomon (1950)
Ikiru (1952)
Seven Samurai (1954)
Throne of Blood (1957)
Yojimbo (1961)
High and Low (1963)
Ran (1985)
deancc
Art Expert

ISO : James Jean "Sink"

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:43 pm

If the whole Criterion collection is on there then personally a couple of my favs that instantly come to mind would be The Cranes are Flying & Spirit of the Beehive,
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby earlgreytoast on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:30 pm

^added to my list, thank you.

Watched Time Bandits for the first time in 20? 25? years. Sooo drymounting good. Ian Helm is incredible. All the pythons are perfect. Connery is perfect. Peter Vaughan, Katherine Helmond, Shelley Duvall, I mean cmon!?!

Also watched Rashomon and loved it. Intro by Altman set the movie up perfectly.

But it looks like I'm the only EBer who has this service so far so I'll let this thread die and just rely on the Criterion thread for good recommendations. :pint:
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby LifTid on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:36 pm

Earlgrey I was about to subscribe to this last night but hesitated, after a week or two so of using the program do you feel like the collection of films they have and the video quality is worth subscribing?
LifTid
Art Connoisseur

Postby earlgreytoast on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Oh hell yes. I got it as a gift but I'd gladly kick down $100 for a year.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby FrankBooth on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Think it's worth the price as well, great library so far and it's a solid service even though it's pretty new.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage

Postby v1101011 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:02 pm

Did beta testing for the site back in late September/October. I thought it was pretty cool. Haven't logged in for quite some time though so I don't know what the current version is like. If I had time to use it, I would never leave the house. Unfortunately, I am never home long enough to watch my CC blu rays, let alone to stream them. I think the concept alone is incredible. All of those films available for $100 is a damn good deal.
v1101011
Art Connoisseur

Return to Cinema/TV