Best/Worst Movies of 2017

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby finneganm on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 pm

drymount the Oscars.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14840
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ
...
...
That's what she said

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Image
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby michaelmillichamp on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I'm in the "Get Out is good but overrated and unworthy of these nominations especially Best Picture, Director, and Actor" category. Solid, clever flick but Best Picture? Come on... #OscarsSoProgressive #OscarsOvercompensating #AffirmativeAction (is that last one a bit much? Yeah, probably. But kind of seems that way... this is the flipside to #OscarsSoWhite)

So because one movie that revolved around a black protagonist gets some noms, it's now the flipside of OscarsSoWhite? Oof...
RottenAtom wrote:I wish Peele's nom went to Villeneuve, Speilberg, or Sean Baker (all who are far more deserving, imo).

The Post was Speilberg on Auto-pilot and brought nothing unique or flavorful to a straight shot movie. Peele definitely deserved the nom.
RottenAtom wrote:The Academy used to not give a damn about people's opinions of the noms/winners and due to the recent backlash (mostly from people who are not cinephiles) it feels like they're going with the popular (or the perceived progressive) choice too often instead of honoring the most deserving. Just give it a few years and one of these Disneyfied Star Wars movies will probably get nominated for Best Picture.

Well major institutions that glorify artists should definitely consider how the artists act in their spare time. I understand separation of art and character, but I would rather not see a movie made by someone who is a piece of fudge just because it's a good movie. There are a lot of good movies out there to fill the void.
RottenAtom wrote:I like Mudbound, but I don't know how I feel about its Cinematography nod. I don't think any Netflix films should be allowed to win that award.

What?
User avatar
michaelmillichamp
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 489
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:53 am

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:13 pm

michaelmillichamp wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I'm in the "Get Out is good but overrated and unworthy of these nominations especially Best Picture, Director, and Actor" category. Solid, clever flick but Best Picture? Come on... #OscarsSoProgressive #OscarsOvercompensating #AffirmativeAction (is that last one a bit much? Yeah, probably. But kind of seems that way... this is the flipside to #OscarsSoWhite)

So because one movie that revolved around a black protagonist gets some noms, it's now the flipside of OscarsSoWhite? Oof...


That's not what I meant. (I knew I should've stayed quiet instead of voicing my opinion on a polemic subject like this...) All I'm saying is that the flip side of so many people complaining that #OscarsSoWhite is that when people of color win, is it because they truly deserve it, or because the Academy has to elect enough people of color to not get criticized? I agree that #OscarsIsTooWhite and #OscarsIsTooHollywood and #HollywoodTooWhite, but I don't think people of color were getting snubbed and losing to less-worthy white people. I believe that the Oscars are so white because Hollywood is so white and the problem isn't that worthy performances/movies are getting snubbed, it's that there aren't enough good roles/films for people of color to begin with. That's what I meant by the flipside. Did Get Out get nominated because it deserved it? I don't think it deserved it (I'm probably in the minority) and I don't think it probably got nominated just because it has a few black actors and a black director, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to question with the Academy trying so hard to appeal to everybody. That's all I'm saying (I hope that makes sense.)


michaelmillichamp wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I wish Peele's nom went to Villeneuve, Speilberg, or Sean Baker (all who are far more deserving, imo).

The Post was Speilberg on Auto-pilot and brought nothing unique or flavorful to a straight shot movie. Peele definitely deserved the nom.


I disagree. I prefer Spielberg's direction here. The cinematography was 'unique and flavorful.' The movie is extremely polished. I don't see what Peele did as a director that is worthy of a nom. (Enlighten me? Not trying to argue, just curious...)

michaelmillichamp wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:The Academy used to not give a damn about people's opinions of the noms/winners and due to the recent backlash (mostly from people who are not cinephiles) it feels like they're going with the popular (or the perceived progressive) choice too often instead of honoring the most deserving. Just give it a few years and one of these Disneyfied Star Wars movies will probably get nominated for Best Picture.


Well major institutions that glorify artists should definitely consider how the artists act in their spare time. I understand separation of art and character, but I would rather not see a movie made by someone who is a piece of fudge just because it's a good movie. There are a lot of good movies out there to fill the void.


I disagree. This isn't a citizenship award. They're judging the art; the film. How a person acts in their spare time should not factor in whatsoever.

michaelmillichamp wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I like Mudbound, but I don't know how I feel about its Cinematography nod. I don't think any Netflix films should be allowed to win that award.

What?


This one is just me being silly (kind of). I watched Mudbound on Netflix and I liked it quite a bit. One thing that didn't stand out to me was the cinematography and as a person that is very visual, I usually notice solid camerawork. Perhaps I just missed it here, but maybe it has something to do with the quality of Netflix stream I receive in my area. It looks worse than a screener even, and it definitely doesn't compare to seeing a film on the big screen. All I'm saying is that it's kind of funny or ironic that a movie that most people will watch on a TV is nominated for best cinematography.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:36 pm

RottenAtom wrote:All I'm saying is that it's kind of funny or ironic that a movie that most people will watch on a TV is nominated for best cinematography.


well many watch dvd screener copies which annoys me to no end.

if i had my way they would not have screeners at all and just give academy members free passes to go see films in theaters.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Did Get Out get nominated because it deserved it? I don't think it deserved it (I'm probably in the minority) and I don't think it probably got nominated just because it has a few black actors and a black director, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to question with the Academy trying so hard to appeal to everybody. That's all I'm saying (I hope that makes sense.)


this is my thing. i only come back to it because you seem to keep saying it as if the Academy itself is pushing for this movie to get nominated to appeal to people in some way. But this film got its nominations because people voted for it. Not because the Academy wanted to appeal to people complaining about lack of diversity.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:Did Get Out get nominated because it deserved it? I don't think it deserved it (I'm probably in the minority) and I don't think it probably got nominated just because it has a few black actors and a black director, but I don't think it's a crazy thing to question with the Academy trying so hard to appeal to everybody. That's all I'm saying (I hope that makes sense.)


this is my thing. i only come back to it because you seem to keep saying it as if the Academy itself is pushing for this movie to get nominated to appeal to people in some way. But this film got its nominations because people voted for it. Not because the Academy wanted to appeal to people complaining about lack of diversity.


There is extreme pressure on the Academy to not appear racist. They can't afford any more backlash and being an all-inclusive event makes it so that more people will tune in and more money is made in the future. I don't know who votes anymore (especially with all the changes) and I'm not saying that everybody who voted for Get Out did so for diversity, but as a person who feels the film is overrated, it does feel to me like the movie possibly benefited a little from people's outrage at the lack of diversity in the past. I may be off base (wouldn't be the first time.)
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14044
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

RottenAtom wrote: I may be off base (wouldn't be the first time.)


Image
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:06 pm

i dont think you are insane for thinking it may have gotten a bump due to that controversy. (that definitely didn't hurt moonlight last year)

i just think you maybe missing the forrest for the trees on this one a little. and seeming to chalk it up to wanting to nominate it because of its subject matter.

and i think it got nominated BECAUSE of its subject matter, and that it was executed well.

and overrated movies regardless of subject get nominated every.drymounting.year.

when you stop caring what gets nominated and what wins, and just realize that the movies existing is the win...it makes it easier to ignore the hoopla around the award season. (not that you don't know this and see way more movies than anyone i know)
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 6987
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RadRacing on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:16 am

RottenAtom wrote: (SPOILERS- She burns down the police station and it's completely obvious. No way Lester Freamon's letting her off. Also, the end is like the 'Me Too' witch hunt. They're about to possibly go after that guy and they have no evidence(!), just a gut feeling... wtf. Movie sucks.)


The more I think on Three Billboards, the more I dislike it.
Also, that cop nearly killed the ad agency guy, threw him out of the window and there isn't even a mention of charges (never mind his record of beatings)... Freamon fires him and that's it? and so on....
User avatar
RadRacing
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 9:12 am
Location: CANADA

Postby simianfever on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 am

hunterjax wrote:Finally got around to watching Brawl in Cell Block 99 . . . so damn good, not sure why I waited so long to see it.


Same here. Loved it. And the soundtrack is solid/fun.
User avatar
simianfever
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2208
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:50 am
Location: CT

Postby jmagee87 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:27 am

RottenAtom wrote:I love Blade Runner 2049 (favorite movie of the year) but no way Gos and Ford deserved nominations (see more movies RN :wink: ). Villeneuve deserved one and he wasn't even in the conversation. BR deserved one for Best Pic too.

Totally agree here. Snubs were on Best Pic and Best Director.

RottenAtom wrote:I'm in the "Get Out is good but overrated and unworthy of these nominations especially Best Picture, Director, and Actor" category. Solid, clever flick but Best Picture? Come on... #OscarsSoProgressive #OscarsOvercompensating #AffirmativeAction (is that last one a bit much? Yeah, probably. But kind of seems that way... this is the flipside to #OscarsSoWhite)

Not having seen Get Out yet, I cant say I agree per se. But that is the feeling I get. But I have seen Lady Bird, and I dont think it deserved Best Pic or Director. It was just another coming of age film to me. But I do think it got nominated for the same reasons you think Get Out did. So in a way I agree.

RottenAtom wrote:can we take the 'give Meryl/DDL/Denzel a nom' autopilot feature off.

FTFY

RottenAtom wrote:I like Mudbound, but I don't know how I feel about its Cinematography nod. I don't think any Netflix films should be allowed to win that award. I started watching Gangs of New York on Netflix the other day and ended up putting in the DVD for better quality.

Get better internet man. I have little to no time to see films in the theater. I'm lucky to see one a month. Over 90% of the movies I see are either 1080p or 720p (gasp!) streams over the internet. And that's more than enough to let me form good opinions on the films. You're just a purist.
User avatar
jmagee87
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 5774
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:02 pm
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby jlabbate on Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:29 am

The Disaster Artist was an entertaining movie, but nothing special..Dave Franco>James Franco
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15776
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby iambillyg on Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:12 am

I really want Jordan Peele to write a sketch about white dudes on a message board debating the intentions behind The Academy nominating "black" films for awards.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 9875
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby FrankBooth on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:05 pm

jmagee87 wrote:Get better internet man. I have little to no time to see films in the theater. I'm lucky to see one a month. Over 90% of the movies I see are either 1080p or 720p (gasp!) streams over the internet. And that's more than enough to let me form good opinions on the films. You're just a purist.


Is it a purist thing? Film even in the modern age still benefit from the cinema format. It's also (at least before cellphones/tablets/netflix etc) both a shared and isolating experience and an escape from the outside world.

Sound and visual design falter a bit when outside of that format, I watch plenty of Netflix but don't think any setup in someones home will give a proper experience.

User avatar
FrankBooth
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:01 am
Location: Queens, New York
ImageImageImageImage Image

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest