Best/Worst Movies of 2017

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby jlabbate on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:03 am

Lady Bird was pretty damn good :clap:
User avatar
jlabbate
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15911
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:44 pm
Location: The BIG Apple
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby iambillyg on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:28 am

I've been trying to catch up on films before the Oscars. I've been very surprised at how much hype there has been surrounding films that I found not all that great.

Friend told me the other day. "You seem to dislike a lot of good films this season."
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby hunterjax on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 am

iambillyg wrote:I've been trying to catch up on films before the Oscars. I've been very surprised at how much hype there has been surrounding films that I found not all that great.

Friend told me the other day. "You seem to dislike a lot of good films this season."

I always find hype has a funny effect on how I view films . . . sometimes I feel exactly what you're saying but then when I watch the movie again a year or two down the road I enjoy it and appreciate it more.
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3659
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:35 am

iambillyg wrote:I've been trying to catch up on films before the Oscars. I've been very surprised at how much hype there has been surrounding films that I found not all that great.

Friend told me the other day. "You seem to dislike a lot of good films this season."



It’s because this years crop just isn’t very good. It’s not just you. It’s a weak ass showing at this years show. Foreign category is pretty good and so is animated IMO.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17785
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby 35mmpaul on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:43 am

really? feel like the best picture list is one of the best ones in recent memory.
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7664
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby RambosRemodeler on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:47 am

35mmpaul wrote:really? feel like the best picture list is one of the best ones in recent memory.



Shape, Darkest, Lady and Billboards say otherwise. Only one I have yet to see is call me by. Should be watching that tonight.
User avatar
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 17785
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:35 pm
Image
choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby iambillyg on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:15 pm

RambosRemodeler wrote:
35mmpaul wrote:really? feel like the best picture list is one of the best ones in recent memory.

Shape, Darkest, Lady and Billboards say otherwise. Only one I have yet to see is call me by. Should be watching that tonight.


I was really unimpressed with Lady Bird, Three Billboards, and Shape of Water. Those were all hyped a lot. Lady Bird seemed like a favorite amongst friends. Three Billboards was winning all kinds of awards. And Shape of Water was marketed like crazy.

When watching Lady Bird, I just found myself not really caring. I imagine if I was in high school still, it may have resonated more? Three Billboards, I was feeling it until about 45 minutes in? Without being spoilery, it didn't really stick the landing, imo. Also, thinking about it afterwards, a lot of it was just completely silly. Shape of Water, while styled beautifully, didn't really spark any kind of connection for me. There are some amazing shots, but not very fleshed out characters or stories. May have worked better as a six part mini-series?

@Rambos, Call Me by Your Name is one of my favorites of the year. It was very refreshing to see that after viewing the films mentioned above. It won't win, but it's great.

Still need to watch The Post, Darkest Hour, and Dunkirk.
User avatar
iambillyg
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 10165
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:14 am
Location: Austin, TX
KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby Irishman12 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:08 pm

35mmpaul wrote:really? feel like the best picture list is one of the best ones in recent memory.


I agree. I haven't seen all of the Best Picture nominations (CALL ME BY YOUR NAME and THE SHAPE OF WATER) but from those I have seen, I enjoyed most of them (DARKEST HOUR, GET OUT, LADY BIRD and PHANTOM THREAD). I didn't much care for DUNKIRK, THE POST or THREE BILLBOARDS. I agree with iambillyg, I enjoyed THREE BILLBOARDS until about 45 minutes in. THE POST was pure political hype that played it too "by the book" for my taste (obvious Oscar bait). And DUNKIRK wasn't a bad film and I do enjoy Christopher Nolan's work, but I enjoyed DARKEST HOUR, GET OUT, LADY BIRD and PHANTOM THREAD more. I don't think LADY BIRD or DARKEST HOUR will win so I'll be rooting for either GET OUT or PHANTOM THREAD. Although if I were a gambling man, my money wouldn't be on either to win.
User avatar
Irishman12
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1102
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: The Villa Quatro

Postby finneganm on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:41 pm

I thought Lady Bird was fantastic, but thought that 3 Billboards was highly overrated.

I think my favorite film of the year was Blade Runner 2049, with The Meyerowitz Stories a close second. Two complete opposite ends of the spectrum, but both very well done.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15256
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ
...
...
That's what she said

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 pm

I find the nominations underwhelming this year as well. The only best picture nominee I love is Phantom Thread. I'm also a fan of The Post, Call Me By Your Name, and Ladybird. I like the Shape of Water (mostly the production design and the score) but I find it slight and overrated. I think that Get Out is a solid flick that's also overrated. Dunkirk was technically impressive but the story didn't grab me and it left me cold. I really don't like that mess of a movie Three Billboards. Didn't see The Darkest Hour because they double booked the screening with something I wanted to see more, they didn't send me a screener, and I never got around to seeing it.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14391
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby RottenAtom on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:02 pm

finneganm wrote:I thought Lady Bird was fantastic, but thought that 3 Billboards was highly overrated.

I think my favorite film of the year was Blade Runner 2049, with The Meyerowitz Stories a close second. Two complete opposite ends of the spectrum, but both very well done.


People slept on The Meyerowitz Stories. I like that flick. That scene where they play the piano is one of the more touching scenes of 2017.

Blade Runner 2049 was my favorite of the year too, followed by Phantom Thread.
User avatar
RottenAtom
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 14391
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:51 am
Location: Houston, TX
Image

Postby finneganm on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm

Very much looking forward to Phantom Thread. That’s just a great combination of talent.
User avatar
finneganm
Art Freak
 
Status: Active
Posts: 15256
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:08 pm
Location: NJ
...
...
That's what she said

Postby hunterjax on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I find the nominations underwhelming this year as well. The only best picture nominee I love is Phantom Thread. I'm also a fan of The Post, Call Me By Your Name, and Ladybird. I like the Shape of Water (mostly the production design and the score) but I find it slight and overrated. I think that Get Out is a solid flick that's also overrated. Dunkirk was technically impressive but the story didn't grab me and it left me cold. I really don't like that mess of a movie Three Billboards. Didn't see The Darkest Hour because they double booked the screening with something I wanted to see more, they didn't send me a screener, and I never got around to seeing it.

Darkest Hour is streaming on Prime I think
User avatar
hunterjax
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3659
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:40 am
_____________
RambosRemodeler wrote:.........You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby 35mmpaul on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 pm

too much to directly respond to.

found lady bird to be one of the most honest high school movies i've ever seen.

the scene where they are at ihop after a play, smoking clove cigarettes, the listening to dave matthews band 'crash' and thinking it was written for you. too. drymounting. real.

the film felt very real to me. and it totally won me over.

i do agree with billy that billboards is a bit all over the place, especially in the middle to final act. the last scene stuck the lnading for me.

watch darkest hour and dunkirk as a double bill.

but i definitely understand shape of water not living up to hype. it does drag a little towards the end. l
User avatar
35mmpaul
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 7664
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 pm
Location: NYC
jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby DonPiano on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:06 am

I really enjoyed Lady Bird, Phantom Thread, Call Me By Your Name and The Shape of Water. Found Dunkirk good, but haven't thought much on it. Get Out was solid. Darkest Hour and The Post are unfairly disliked - I thought both were very solid, entertaining films. I did not like Three Billboards all that much.

If you're watching Dunkirk and Darkest Hour, then do yourself a favour and check out Their Finest. Unfairly forgotten at the end of the year.
User avatar
DonPiano
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 8042
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:42 am
Location: Perth, Nowhere Australia.
[center]The Curb

Friends and Like-Minded Souls of webuyyourkids Facebook Group


wottagunn wrote:they're exactly the same you drymounts. go get an eye check


Friends & Family don't let Friends & Family send money via Friends & Family.[/center]

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests