Best/Worst Movies of 2017

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:41 pm

Seems to be a pretty divisive film, but I enjoyed A Cure For Wellness. I could totally see why some people wouldn't like it, though. The editing through much of the film was pretty cool.
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby jlabbate on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:43 pm

Cinlabyrinth wrote:Seems to be a pretty divisive film, but I enjoyed A Cure For Wellness. I could totally see why some people wouldn't like it, though. The editing through much of the film was pretty cool.

is it as batshit crazy as I'm hearing?
jlabbate
Art Freak

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Cinlabyrinth on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:49 pm

jlabbate wrote:
Cinlabyrinth wrote:Seems to be a pretty divisive film, but I enjoyed A Cure For Wellness. I could totally see why some people wouldn't like it, though. The editing through much of the film was pretty cool.

is it as batshit crazy as I'm hearing?

I don't think so, but I see a lot of batshit crazy stuff so maybe my barometer is skewed.

Not spoilers but changed the font to white anyway just to be safe
It seems pretty divisive- mostly critics that I've seen have been shitting on it for being a long road to nowhere. I get that point in some ways, but it has its points throughout the film rather than necessarily a big build up to 1 major theme. I mean it's kind of similar to Shutter Island in some ways? With more horror elements to it in some cases.
It's 2 hour 26 min so I guess know that going into it. I'd def recommend seeing it if you like what's considered off the wall for Hollywood releases
Cinlabyrinth
Art Expert

Postby matowest on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Great Wall is a dumb matinee monster movie, but all the non-CGI stuff looks great (costumes, sets, etc.). Brainless, but pretty.
matowest
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:29 pm

I liked Cure. It's 30 minutes too long. But further proof that Gore is a very underrated director. Stunning visuals and creepy atmosphere. Glad to see him not do a massive budget movie.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby mattkardish on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:53 pm

on the fence about seeing that.

bought imax 2d tix for Logan today, just 2 weeks away now!
mattkardish
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:35 pm

I skipped Logan to watch Let the Right One In at the Alamo. Probably won't even see it. X-Men... :roll:
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby binky79 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:40 pm

RottenAtom wrote:I skipped Logan to watch Let the Right One In at the Alamo. Probably won't even see it. X-Men... :roll:

I'm really excited for Logan, but would have made the same decision. How often do you get to see Let the Right One In on the big screen?
binky79
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm

binky79 wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:I skipped Logan to watch Let the Right One In at the Alamo. Probably won't even see it. X-Men... :roll:

I'm really excited for Logan, but would have made the same decision. How often do you get to see Let the Right One In on the big screen?

It was awesome. I saw it at the Angelika when it came out, but I hadn't seen it in 5 years and it played great. Took the novel, a Rubik's cube, and a 'How to Simply Solve a Rubik's Cube' book to raffle away. Catching the theatre production of LTROI on Sunday. It's supposed to be really good.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby FlapJack on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:02 pm

mattkardish wrote:bought imax 2d tix for Logan today, just 2 weeks away now!

You say "just" 2 weeks ... like that's not agonizing. :ziggi:

RA... I think you should still give this one a go. It won't be your run of the mill X-men ensemble movie. Ultimately, you may not enjoy it, but think it will be different than your expectations.

Then again ... my bias is strong with this one.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:20 pm

How many other X-Men movies are there? I've only seen a couple of them (the first 2, years ago) and they just weren't my thing. Never read the comics or watched the show. I think I'm going to have to watch this one though because I've heard good buzz and can't really skip it if people are talking about it as one of the year's best. I'll give it a fair chance. I'm just so burnt out on movies with characters who have superpowers or are mutants and whatnot. Is there anything I need to know going in? Is this a standalone film or a sequel of some sort?
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby 35mmpaul on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 pm

X2 is the only good one.

Days of a Future Past is fun. But doesn't stick the landing on the ending.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby FlapJack on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:52 pm

RottenAtom wrote:Is there anything I need to know going in? Is this a standalone film or a sequel of some sort?

It is definitely a stand alone movie apart from the rest of the X-men universe. You won't really need to know anything about those , other than it features the Hugh Jackman's Logan/Wolverine character that has appeared in most of those other movies.

I really don't want to say much more of what I've learned up till now ... interested in your reaction going in kind of cold. Just know that it shouldn't be your typical crazy potluck of superhero mutants trying to save the world scrambling for screen time around a thin plot.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby RottenAtom on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:58 pm

Right on, FJ. I'll let you know my thoughts when I get around to checking it out.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby mattkardish on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:01 am

I liked 1.5 (1), 2, DOFP. Last Stand and First Class weren't great movies, but were still fun enough. Apocalypse was meh, The Wolverine could have been awesome but they blew it and sacrificed story and compelling characters (and an obvious villain), and i haven't bothered with Origins, and probably never will. i also have never ready any of the comics. i'm trying to keep expectations relatively low because of what happened with the last Wolverine film...key word trying.

FlapJack wrote:
mattkardish wrote:bought imax 2d tix for Logan today, just 2 weeks away now!

You say "just" 2 weeks ... like that's not agonizing. :ziggi:

it'll be here before we know it! :pint:
mattkardish
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV