Rogue One: A Star Wars Story-Film Discussion with spoilers!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby BB8 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:16 am

maddoghoek100 wrote:The harpoons were never intended as a tripwire, that is luke thinking on the fly. Per some of the sources out there:

"The Incom Corporation's T-47 was an atmospheric vehicle designed for industrial cargo handling. Its cockpit featured positions for a forward-facing pilot and a rear-facing cargo manager. The cargo manager used the airspeeder's magnetic harpoon and tow cable to control repulsorlift cargo modules."

So lets assume that the battle on hoth was one of the first times the tow cables had been used as an offensive weapon. The snow speeder is a smaller craft than the xwing and was only being used for recon missions on hoth due to the cold weather. X and Y wings have far heavier weapons and can be seen doing damage to capital ships.

BB8 wrote:The AT-ATs were a lot easier to blow up than ESB.... Would have been cool to see some harpoon cables used again..

Do we know why Snowspeeders are prepared and properly equipped with harpoon cables in ESB in the first place? I mean there is even a completely separate person included to operate them, I don't think there is even a rear blaster, is there?

Just thinking out loud.

Well then this opens up a few more questions....

1) Why are the rear tow cable guys going into battle if all they can do is fire a tow cable? I mean, i works out for then, but they're risking their lives (One dies without Luke's ship even going down) for not even having a blaster to contribute.

2) Why doesn't Luke use his X-Wing if he has it?

3) Who cares?
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Postby Diabolos80 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:12 pm

The wife and I saw it last night. We liked it, but we both agree TFA was more fun at the movies. Maybe not better, but more fun (better).
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby jmagee87 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Well at least they already made a CGI Carrie amirite?

too soon?
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:37 pm

All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when they shitted all over her character in TFA. I still can't believe how they portrayed her in that movie...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby Diabolos80 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I thought Leia was decent in TFA. Her conversation with Solo about their son had me a little misty. Still bummed she blew off Chewie at the end though.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Hey, I like Bowie but I'll still fudge on Jareth for being hella creepy.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:50 pm

jkw3000 wrote:Hey, I like Bowie but I'll still fudge on Jareth for being hella creepy.

That's not what I meant. Sorry, I wasn't super clear. When I said, "All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when they shitted all over her character in TFA" what I meant was:

"All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when the filmmakers shitted all over her character in TFA." Everybody was so quick to gobble up TFA and love the new characters and the direction of the franchise that they didn't give a damn that it was at the expense of Princess Leia. Leia's character was handled so poorly in TFA it's repulsive. This was our Princess, the baddest chick in galaxy. They turned her into a shitty mom/wife and nothing more. I don't like it and I don't buy it for a second. That scene with her and Harrison with all the exposition is so cringeworthy it hurts to watch. I couldn't believe how they treated her character and I said as much in my original review. A lot of people seem to be forgiving of that, but I thought the way she was used and depicted in TFA was terrible.
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:57 pm

I won't disagree. Don't think many would disagree either to be honest. My quickest summation of my thoughts (because I am prone to verbal diarrhea) is that I just think people are remembering her at her best as opposed to the torch-passing role she had in TFA.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby Diabolos80 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:05 pm

I disagree. It was obvious she had been instrumental to the rebellion's success since the close of the OT. And she still held hope that her son would smarten up and come home eventually. Solo did neither of those things, yet everyone raved about how great he was...
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:12 pm

I think the issue is that she clearly has great importance within the canon between ROTJ and TFA, but TFA also relegated her to a background role (I mean, she's there to talk and feel the force and hang out in the base) over somebody like Solo getting at least some sort of activity within the proceedings. How you want to read that as a testament to her character or the unfortunate narrative difficulty of needing to pass the torch to the younger generation in a story that depends on some degree of failure from the OG gang, that's going to shade how you view the strength of their characters as presently constructed. Neither here nor there though, as this is a Rogue One discussion so I'll bow out.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby 35mmpaul on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:16 pm

RottenAtom wrote:All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when they shitted all over her character in TFA. I still can't believe how they portrayed her in that movie...

Actual death vs. fictional portrayal is not the same thing.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby BB8 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:19 pm

RottenAtom wrote:
jkw3000 wrote:Hey, I like Bowie but I'll still fudge on Jareth for being hella creepy.

That's not what I meant. Sorry, I wasn't super clear. When I said, "All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when they shitted all over her character in TFA" what I meant was:

"All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when the filmmakers shitted all over her character in TFA." Everybody was so quick to gobble up TFA and love the new characters and the direction of the franchise that they didn't give a damn that it was at the expense of Princess Leia. Leia's character was handled so poorly in TFA it's repulsive. This was our Princess, the baddest chick in galaxy. They turned her into a shitty mom/wife and nothing more. I don't like it and I don't buy it for a second. That scene with her and Harrison with all the exposition is so cringeworthy it hurts to watch. I couldn't believe how they treated her character and I said as much in my original review. A lot of people seem to be forgiving of that, but I thought the way she was used and depicted in TFA was terrible.

Couldn't disagree more.

First of all.... comparing being sad about her DEATH to being sad about how her fictional character is portrayed is ridiculous.

Second... The original cast is old and most of them are not the greatest actors it was appropriate for them to take a back seat to the new cast, especially considering they were particularly NOT doing that with Han.

Third... TFA was only the first of what they thought would be at least three more movies with her, they probably felt like they had more time. Afterall, we got just about zero Luke and R2

Lastly... Leia's character was fine, she was a a general, clearly an instrumental part of the Rebellion. She is old she can't be kicking ass anymore she is like a Raddus, Ackbar or a Mon Mothma now.
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Postby RottenAtom on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:34 pm

35mmpaul wrote:
RottenAtom wrote:All these folks super sad about her death didn't give a damn when they shitted all over her character in TFA. I still can't believe how they portrayed her in that movie...

Actual death vs. fictional portrayal is not the same thing.

True. I'll admit, my comment may be silly. Also, (while this sounds terrible, I don't intend it to be) I probably personally care more about Leia the character than I do about Carrie Fisher. I don't know Carrie Fisher, I don't know any of these celebrities and it never really truly hurts when one passes away. This is a time when I probably should've just kept my thoughts to myself. Just something I thought when I saw all the sad about Carrie Fisher posts. I'll be quiet now, carry on grieving.

BB8, I didn't want her to have a bigger part, I wanted her to have a better part (or no part at all). Again, that terrible exposition scene...
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby jkw3000 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Grieving's a weird thing these days. Think it helps when you can separate the kind of grieving one would have for a friend or family member or loved one (the real hurting kind) with the grieving people these days have on social media - it's acknowledgement over the influence that the person's life/work had on your own and remembering it at the time of their loss.
jkw3000
Art Freak

Postby fredo on Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:57 pm

jkw3000 wrote: it's acknowledgement over the influence that the person's life/work had on your own and remembering it at the time of their loss.

I dunno. Most of it just seems like self involved piling-on.
fredo
Art God

it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV