Rogue One: A Star Wars Story-Film Discussion with spoilers!

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby bhutanpro on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:13 pm

mistersmith wrote:
ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Oh, and a single hot swap enclosure conveniently located, outdoors and unsecured


Unsecured? The entire planet was a military base, covered in a shield, protected by an armada of ships. That tower (which still had a vault for the data, after all) was basically a safe inside a safe.


I kinda agree with this. Plus, I enjoyed not knowing what their plan was to get the data off the planet. I was pleasantly surprised with the tactic used to make it seem as if a bigger force had landed by diverting platoons to different landing platforms.

If anything though, Rouge One's approach to the planet creates a ROTJ plot hole by making one wonder why years later on Endor the Empire still lets unscheduled craft through security shields so easily.
User avatar
bhutanpro
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: soCal desert
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Jasper73 on Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:23 pm

^ even the Emperor can't get the staff..
User avatar
Jasper73
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 863
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:01 pm
Location: Preston England
ImageT.K.C.

Postby peacedog on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:17 pm

bhutanpro wrote:
If anything though, Rouge One's approach to the planet creates a ROTJ plot hole by making one wonder why years later on Endor the Empire still lets unscheduled craft through security shields so easily.


One ship sneaks through and a couple rebels get the plans to destroy a Death Star and we never hear the end of it? Geez.

Also, in ROTJ it was a trap set up by the Emperor, he was well aware of the rebel plot.
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2823
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby fredo on Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:25 pm

peacedog wrote:
bhutanpro wrote:
If anything though, Rouge One's approach to the planet creates a ROTJ plot hole by making one wonder why years later on Endor the Empire still lets unscheduled craft through security shields so easily.


One ship sneaks through and a couple rebels get the plans to destroy a Death Star and we never hear the end of it? Geez.

Also, in ROTJ it was a trap set up by the Emperor, he was well aware of the rebel plot.


#muahahahaaa
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/evil_20l ... nd_20dryer

ps mainly I thought the flick worked because it didn't tie itself too tightly to the main story arc and didn't overtly pander to fans (IMO the stormtrooper doll was enough to put all of us who had SW toys growing up in her place). They used enough of ANH to give the action some "higher" meaning, but otherwise it was a self-sustaining thing. Also dug Tarkin as a lizard-y looking thing- did he even blink?
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 22159
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby PapaVo on Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:22 pm

Great (^13 pages^) of reading, EB/SW fans! Thanks for the insights!!

Looking forward to see what Gareth Edwards does with Dune. (For you non-Dune, Star Wars fans, see http://www.moongadget.com/origins/dune.html)
PapaVo
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 1834
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:55 am
Image

Postby bhutanpro on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:21 am

peacedog wrote:
bhutanpro wrote:
If anything though, Rouge One's approach to the planet creates a ROTJ plot hole by making one wonder why years later on Endor the Empire still lets unscheduled craft through security shields so easily.


One ship sneaks through and a couple rebels get the plans to destroy a Death Star and we never hear the end of it? Geez.

Also, in ROTJ it was a trap set up by the Emperor, he was well aware of the rebel plot.


Ok- just having fun here but consider this:

I agree that the Emperor could see the future and knew of a rebel plan, including their presence on the moon. He planned a trap with his best troops on the ground and the rebel fleet stuck between star destroyers and a (surprise!) operational Death Star in orbit.

However when Admiral Piett explains to Vader that shuttle Tydirium's code is old but he was going to let them through, AND when you consider the security breach a few years back by Rogue One on Scariff, both of these things make me feel like the rebel attack on the second Death Star could have been avoided had the Empire's brass dutifully enforced a simple upgrade to their planetary shield clearance protocol. I mean, how many planetary shields do they operate? They clearly protect important things, like Imperial Archives and their biggest, most important weapon ever.

On another level, what is an admiral doing checking clearance codes for transport shuttles? Doesn't he have better things to do?

My point is: Admiral Piett's line explaining that he was about to let them through is the plot hole. He was old enough and in service during the Scariff debacle. Possibly a general then. You'd think the Empire's brightest might have learned from that mistake.

Take this in the light intended, peacedog! I'm just wasting time on a Friday night :pint:
User avatar
bhutanpro
Art Connoisseur
 
Status: Active
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 6:08 pm
Location: soCal desert
ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby Diabolos80 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:16 am

Diabolos80
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 3967
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:54 am

Postby fredo on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:11 am

bhutanpro wrote:My point is: Admiral Piett's line explaining that he was about to let them through is the plot hole. He was old enough and in service during the Scariff debacle. Possibly a general then. You'd think the Empire's brightest might have learned from that mistake.


It's not so much a plot hole as a setup to inform the audience that Vader/Luke knew where each other was.
And if the code "checks out" as dude says, then presumably it's within the security protocol to let 'er through.
User avatar
fredo
Art God
 
Status: Active
Posts: 22159
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:26 pm
Location: ENZEE
it is imperative to expedite matters to my satisfaction

Postby peacedog on Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:10 pm

bhutanpro wrote:
On another level, what is an admiral doing checking clearance codes for transport shuttles? Doesn't he have better things to do?

My point is: Admiral Piett's line explaining that he was about to let them through is the plot hole. He was old enough and in service during the Scariff debacle. Possibly a general then. You'd think the Empire's brightest might have learned from that mistake.

Take this in the light intended, peacedog! I'm just wasting time on a Friday night :pint:


I absolutely take all of this as playful banter, Bhutanpro. Just geekin' out a bit.

Piett was the Captain promoted to Admiral after Vader choked out Admiral Ozzel in ESB for coming out of hyperspace to closely to Hoth. The Empire does roll through officers pretty quickly under Vader's command. Which is probably why he's checking clearance codes as well, they're short handed all the time. And you figure they have to have some kind of term usage for security codes, so an older code might just be relative.

Let's consider this as well, I believe they made a point about hiding their successful test of the Death Star in Rogue One? I've only seen it once, not sure I remember that correctly but the honor to reveal it to the Emperor was denied Kennic by Tarkin, no? In the end the whole Scariff incident was probably a massive Empire cover up hailed as a major success to avoid criticism.
User avatar
peacedog
Art Expert
 
Status: Active
Posts: 2823
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:46 pm
Location: Denver, Colorado

Postby DaveDavies on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Am I the only one has not seen this movie :(
DaveDavies
Member
 
Status: Banned !
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 am

Previous

Return to Cinema/TV



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gordo55 and 6 guests