Scariest Movies You've Ever Seen

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby bert on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:20 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:Also horror is completely subjective. Just because it isn't scary to you doesn't mean it isn't scary to someone else.

As well as this, Horror can be a very delicate genre because a good horror film can be made completely redundant if viewed in the wrong circumstances (as an extreme example, watching The Shining in isolation in a giant abandoned hotel v watching it during the day on the sofa with someone who giggles at the scary bits). For it to work, I think you have to take it quite seriously, suspend your disbelief and go with it.

The Exorcist still chills me to the bone during moments. Some of the sound design in particular...just the voice that Regan speaks in is enough! But also when the sound guy explains to Karras that the recording is English backwards and when they reverse it and play it, I still get spooked.

Outside of the occult, I tend to get scared by films that I find disturbing. In recent years, I found Kill List quite effective. Although it's not really a straight horror, it has a deeply unsettling atmosphere. A lot it seems to be cultivated in your mind by the sense of dread it builds without really showing much...the ending was a bit heavy handed though. It Follows was good too, the execution was perhaps not scary (too much fun, really), but that idea of an unstoppable force you can never escape taps into my conscious as it's like a reoccurring nightmare. I like Ringu/The Ring for the same reason...an inescapable nasty fate is quite a horrific idea to me.
Last edited by bert on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
bert
Art Expert

Postby mrkyuss on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:21 am

Return to Oz when I was about 8 years old.
mrkyuss
Art God

President of the DALeast MAN LOVE club.
President of the Late Night Crew (LNC).

Postby Bikejoh on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:34 am

bmd1191 wrote:I was 11 when The Ring came out and was the scariest movie I had ever seen. Neither me or any of my friends could watch the whole thing without covering our eyes. Nightmares for days.

Rewatched this a few years later on a deactivated submarine for a buddy's birthday. We were around 12 at the time.. was fun
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby Bikejoh on Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:36 am

Can anyone recommend some good cult docs/movies? The Master, Going Clear, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.. Love that fudge
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby jmagee87 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:28 am

Bikejoh wrote:
bmd1191 wrote:I was 11 when The Ring came out and was the scariest movie I had ever seen. Neither me or any of my friends could watch the whole thing without covering our eyes. Nightmares for days.

Rewatched this a few years later on a deactivated submarine for a buddy's birthday. We were around 12 at the time.. was fun

The Ring freaked me out pretty good. Also didnt help that I had an old tube tv in my bedroom at the time and it had that glow to it when you turned it off at night
jmagee87
Art Expert

ImageImage #trollcru
Kramerica wrote:never listen to anything rambo says.
RambosRemodeler wrote:You're entitled to your opinion but it's wrong.

Postby fanboy on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:46 am

What are everyone's thoughts on the original Paranormal Activity?

I remember a friend of mine telling me he watched it and slept with the lights on that night. A guy in his mid 30's. Is it that scary?
fanboy
Art Expert

ironjaiden wrote:I'm a whore so I'll draw whatever you want for a warm meal and a dirty hand job. Every artist is different.

Postby sidewaysscott on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:49 am

mrkyuss wrote:Return to Oz when I was about 8 years old.

:clap: yup, same here.
sidewaysscott
Art God

pay via paypal, use credit card,file dispute at the 20 day mark if suspicious. don't deal with noobs. don't trade with noobs. request feedback ahead of time. there are lots of good people 'round here.

Postby Kramerica on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:00 am

Bikejoh wrote:Can anyone recommend some good cult docs/movies? The Master, Going Clear, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.. Love that fudge

Jonestown: The Life and Death of the People's Temple (doc], The Sacrament (loosley based on Jonestown), Waco: The Rules of Engagement (doc, less about the cult, more about the drymounted up annihilation of them), The Sound of My Voice.
Kramerica
Art Freak

When I'm done ranting about elite power that rules the planet under a totalitarian government that uses the media to keep people stupid, my throat gets parched. That's why I drink Orange Drink. - BH

Postby IWish on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:13 am

My earliest terrifying memory was a tv show with a giant robot -- probably an Outer Limits episode. To this day, robots creep me out.

I walked out during the Exorcist.
IWish
Art Expert

Cheap poster weight bags: HERE

Postby Bikejoh on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:09 am

fanboy wrote:What are everyone's thoughts on the original Paranormal Activity?

Get a lot of fudge for it but it scared the hell out of me, sequels lost some of the magic but the original was huge when it came out, ton of hype around it. I thought it delivered IMO, well done but catches a lot of flak. Did well with a low budget like Blair Witch
Bikejoh
Art Expert

Postby toobs on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:43 pm

the grudge
toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Postby peacedog on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:50 pm

Poltergeist got me pretty good as a kid. Arachnophobia still freaks me out, not into spiders.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby LifTid on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:40 pm

Bikejoh wrote:Can anyone recommend some good cult docs/movies? The Master, Going Clear, Eyes Wide Shut, etc.. Love that fudge

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the-iceman-confessions-of-a-mafia-hitman/

Remade into an actual fim, but the doc was so much better.
LifTid
Art Connoisseur

Postby wonkabars7 on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:20 pm

Rosemary's Baby
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby stuckeyc on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:43 pm

i remember watching an amazing stories marathon when I was younger and there was this one where some kids were trying to cast a spell on their teacher and it really freaked me out. Sucks because I really liked that show and havent really been able to watch any since that night.
stuckeyc
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV