Westworld on HBO

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby willg on Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:38 pm

For some reason I don't think MC had much to do with the development of this series :D
willg
Art Expert

Postby TKuczynski on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:30 am

stuarthimsley wrote:It's a bit of a yawn for me so far. Lots of well-worn sci fi themes going on. It seems as though Michael Crichton liked the idea of merging Jurassic Park with Blade Runner, then simply transposed both plots into a Western setting to throw us off his contrived scent. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, so hopefully there's a unique twist on the horizon.

TKuczynski
Art Expert

Postby comountaingolf on Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:56 am

Digging the first couple episodes. Remember watching the movie on VHS as a little kid and it kinda scared the fudge outta me :lol:

comountaingolf
Art Expert

Jim Carr wrote:The fans are standing up to them! The security guards are standing up to them! The peanut vendors are standing up to them!

Image THC X 8

Postby Codeblue on Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:20 am

earlgreytoast wrote:Just finished 2nd episode. Great so far. Never saw the original but planning on it.

Question, maybe I missed it in the first episode, but how do guests know who are robots and who are other guests? Like what if a guest tries to shoot or rape another guest?

They appear to keep em spread out and closely monitored. That host also mentioned that the bullets could only hit certain targets or something to that effect so perhaps guests can't shoot other guests. I forget the exact verbiage.
Codeblue
Art God

RupertPupkin wrote:I live by this rule and this rule alone: people are drymounting idiots.

Postby 63schoeffling on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:09 am

My question is what about a knife? I'm interested to see if they address some of these things in the next few episodes.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby soupysound on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:04 am

63schoeffling wrote:My question is what about a knife? I'm interested to see if they address some of these things in the next few episodes.

said the same thing when watching episode 2 and the man in black kills a bunch of people with a blade or hammer or anything. how do you stop other guests from slicing each other up? maybe it does happen on occasion and it is part of the risk.

as for the guns/bullets...... i just assumed there was some default sci-fi technology that made it so they can't shoot each other. if bot bullets can't work on guests... then i assumed guest bullets can't work on guests.
soupysound
Art Expert

Postby Solar on Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:44 am

stuarthimsley wrote:It's a bit of a yawn for me so far. Lots of well-worn sci fi themes going on. It seems as though Michael Crichton liked the idea of merging Jurassic Park with Blade Runner, then simply transposed both plots into a Western setting to throw us off his contrived scent. I haven't read the book or seen the movie, so hopefully there's a unique twist on the horizon.

Michael Crichton wrote and directed Westworld in 1973. Westworld had a sequel and a TV show before Blade Runner was released. Crichton himself wrote Jusrassic Park in 1990. Crichton's hasn't been too involved in the HBO show, since he's dead and all.
Solar
Art Connoisseur

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Solar wrote:

Michael Crichton wrote and directed Westworld in 1973. Westworld had a sequel and a TV show before Blade Runner was released. Crichton himself wrote Jusrassic Park in 1990. Crichton's hasn't been too involved in the HBO show, since he's dead and all.

Maybe he was a robot?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby Jay67 on Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:50 pm

Really good show! I hope it doesn't fall off.
Jay67

Postby mfaith on Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:22 pm

What was the parlor song this time around? Sounded familiar, but couldn't quite place it.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby duckyhoward on Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:10 am

mfaith wrote:What was the parlor song this time around? Sounded familiar, but couldn't quite place it.

^^ - i had the same thoughts - turns out the song is: “A Forest” by The Cure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xik-y0xlpZ0

Enjoying the show so far- getting more into it as the season progresses and the story line develops further.
duckyhoward
Art Expert

"so this is what it's like to be an adult, if he only knew now what he knew then..."
T.K.C.

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 am

So, Deloris is the gunslinger? Discuss.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby bmd1191 on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:48 am

So far I really like the show and the central idea of it. But i'm not gonna lie i'm a little confused as to what's going on in it. I understand that they're revealing new parts every episode but idk something just seems off with the storytelling. I'm gonna continue watching but I hope it comes together a little more with the rest of the season.

PS - Last nights episode had to be a new high for most nudity in a single episode of an hbo show lol.
bmd1191
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:16 pm

Really digging the mystery around this. It's kept me coming back at least. Of course i dug this week's song, even though it wasn't a far departure from the already great Still version of it.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImageImage

Postby pjsteelerfan on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 am

I'm curious as to what the Maze actually is. The show taking place in two timelines is an interesting theory, but I think each episode moves further away from that. Great scene between Hopkins and Harris at the end.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV