Westworld on HBO

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby SPAC04 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:16 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Just thought of something. When Teddy was fighting Connor Malone (Sons of Anarchy pull!) why was the fight so even? Aren't the hosts only limited to human strength when programmed? I assumed when Deloris set him to ludicrous mode he could punch through the guys head with one blow.

I thought i recognized that guy, he rules. Delores "fixed" him Teddy (finally), though I had always assumed the hosts had extraordinary physical strength.shows been pretty great so far, Delo's cloning made the season, great acting. Ed Harris, Jeff Wright are great and the Confederado Major was great as well. I cant stand Hale tho, character and casting. I hope she meets a delightfully violent end.

I keep coming back to the logic behind the guests inability to be harmed (shot) in the first season. Guest's firearms kill hosts, but hosts bullets were...rubber(?)...then real?
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby cotis on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:49 pm

SPAC04 wrote:I keep coming back to the logic behind the guests inability to be harmed (shot) in the first season. Guest's firearms kill hosts, but hosts bullets were...rubber(?)...then real?

my understanding was that it had something to do with the tech that Maeve changed. not only did she change everyone to be aggressive, woke, etc. but she also changed the weapons.

<gun bullet="activate">

since host bullets would just bounce off humans in Season 1.
cotis
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:46 pm

For the sake of discussion they did have an instance in season two when William's daughter shot duke and he only bruised, and the changes def occurred in the Raj as well.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:44 pm

I was surprised that Angela, (boy, she's a pretty lady), knew how to detonate the grenade. I guess the cyborgs were given a crash-course in weaponry.

So, who will win this war? Cyborgs or humans? The cyborgs are superior, physically. They've also learned a very human trait...deception.

I recall reading a book eons ago that stated humans survived the neanderthals because humans knew how to deceive...even though the neanderthals were stronger, physically. Of course, that was just the writers point of view. It gave me something to ponder...an interesting thought.

I'm looking forward to the Ghost Nation episode. Personally, I think they take Mauve's daughter to keep her safe.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby jjbehren on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:39 pm

SPAC04 wrote:For the sake of discussion they did have an instance in season two when William's daughter shot duke and he only bruised, and the changes def occurred in the Raj as well.

That scene happened before the reprogramming. The reprogramming occurred after William's daughter and dude arrived at the camp the next day.
jjbehren
Flipper

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:53 pm

jjbehren wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:For the sake of discussion they did have an instance in season two when William's daughter shot duke and he only bruised, and the changes def occurred in the Raj as well.

That scene happened before the reprogramming. The reprogramming occurred after William's daughter and dude arrived at the camp the next day.

I also remember something about not killing the guests, but making getting shot unpleasant. Maybe rubber bullets and they control the FPS based on a sensor for host/not host (written by Jian Yang)

I am still wondering about the scene where the geisha cuts out her daughter's heart after killing the Shogun. That sure looked like a human heart. Was she human (suggesting Maeve's daughter might be human as well) or is the park just going that deep into the kayfabe?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby IWish on Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:14 am

I recently watched a video segment where Ford said with the new technology the host anatomy (visually) is, pretty much, indistinguishable from humans. Aside from their core brains, I guess that statement would be true for their hearts.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:04 pm

Strong episode. One of their best IMO.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK

Postby finneganm on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:13 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Strong episode. One of their best IMO.

Agreed, but it would not have been nearly as effective for me if it was in English. I’m intellectually and culturally shallow enough (while simultaneously wanting to be more cultured and intelligent) to instantly give more credit to something if I’m reading subtitles instead of hearing dialogue.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby squalie on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:00 pm

Great episode! :clap:
squalie
Art Expert

Postby IWish on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:28 pm

It was a beautiful hour of TV. Zahn McClarnon, (Akecheta), was absolutely wonderful. Writer(s) for this episode are
Dan Dietz & Carly Wray. I look forward to seeing more from these two.

Character mentions made of The Door, so far. There could be more to add to the list. I'll need to do a rewatch, first.
Dolores
Akecheta
Ford
William
Logan
Arnold (creator of the maze, but I don't recall him mentioning The Door.)

Dolores and Akecheta connect The Door to the facility still in the process of getting built. They are both 1st generation hosts. Is that the valley that was filled with water? A means to hide the facility?

“This is an illusion,” a rattled Logan tells Akecheta. “There’s gotta be a way out of here. Where’s the door? Where’s the door? drymounting way out of here. This is the wrong world. This is the wrong world.”

From a previous episode:
“ You've made it to the center of Arnold's maze. But now, you're in my game. In this game, you have to make it back out. In this game, you must find the door. Congratulations, William. This game is meant for you. The game begins where you end and ends where you began. ”

– Little Boy

In last week’s episode, Ford tells Bernard, “The passage from one world to the next requires bold steps.”

With this in mind, we can reinterpret Maeve’s signature backstory monologue from Season 1, which was repeated by Akane earlier this season, in which she explains how she came to Sweetwater to escape the voice inside her head telling her what she couldn’t do.

“So I ran away,” Maeve says. “Crossed the shining sea. And when I finally set foot back on solid ground, the first thing I heard was that goddamn voice. Do you know what it said? It said, ‘This is the new world. And in this world, you can be whoever the drymount you want.’”

That “crossed the shining sea” reference doesn’t seem like an accident now that the Valley Beyond is flooded.
IWish
Art Expert

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I liked the almost single purpose narrative this episode. Any deviations from the Ghost nation story line were put to good use as adjuncts to it. I almost wish they would tell the stories this way all the time...
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Postby iambillyg on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:23 am

Beautiful episode. Certain narrative elements being changed from season 1 is a bit irritating, especially with the show paying such attention to detail.
iambillyg
Art Freak

KingOfNothing wrote:It's not Mondo it's more like Mondone.

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:33 am

iambillyg wrote:Beautiful episode. Certain narrative elements being changed from season 1 is a bit irritating, especially with the show paying such attention to detail.

Do tell. I don't recall what you may be referring to.
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

Postby bryndavies on Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:00 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:
iambillyg wrote:Beautiful episode. Certain narrative elements being changed from season 1 is a bit irritating, especially with the show paying such attention to detail.

Do tell. I don't recall what you may be referring to.
bryndavies
Art Expert

ImageT.K.C.

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV