Comedy/Comics/Comedians Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby SPAC04 on Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:52 am

mfaith wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:What did you think of his last special (2017)?

I loved it. Though I was fortunate enough to see it live (first time seeing him perform live!). The 4 night stint in Austin at the Moody theater was just at the tail end of the tour he was on to prepare for the taping. So we got a very well-polished version of the show, and pretty much the same content that was in the special. I did finally watch the actual video a few weeks ago, just to experience it again.

This was my view of the stage that night (lucked into a front row seat)

That is drymounting incredible, super jealous. I am a massive comedy fan. Lucky enough to have seen Attell, Chappelle, DiPaolo, Norton, BURR (best comedy show I've seen so far, he did a meet and greet at a sold out stadium show), Hannibal Burress, Joey Diaz (also a monster), Tony Hinchcliffe (also very strong performer at a really undersold show no less) Jim Bruer etc. The only guy I've yet to see is Louie, who I feel is the smartest, hardest working, most consistently hilarious/poignant Comedian to ever come out of NYC. That must have been an amazing experience...and i resent you for it :P

Have you watched Horace & Pete?
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:56 am

SPAC04 wrote:Have you watched Horace & Pete?

I haven't. How are they? And man, you've seen some great acts. That was one of my biggest take aways from the Louie show; that I really need to go see more comedy shows. It was such a good experience, and it's something I typically don't pay as much attention to (from a live show perspective) nearly as much as like live music.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby finneganm on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:30 pm

New Maron on Netflix is dynamite. He's grown considerably over the past 10 years. Easily one of my favorites these days.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby SPAC04 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:42 pm

mfaith wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:Have you watched Horace & Pete?

I haven't. How are they? And man, you've seen some great acts. That was one of my biggest take aways from the Louie show; that I really need to go see more comedy shows. It was such a good experience, and it's something I typically don't pay as much attention to (from a live show perspective) nearly as much as like live music.

Horace and Pete is Great in a dramatic way, but i wouldn't watch it if its laughs your looking for. Still highly recommend as a Drama/Tragedy with a really great cast.

I used to see a lot of music, Phish in particular, but got a bit wary on big crowds etc. Comedy is the best thing to see live imo (depending on the act, Louie must set a high bar in my imagination.) Burr had the best show, but Attell had the best timing/ volume of great quick jokes (which is a dying art, though I hear Jimmy Carr is good like dat) Still ISO Louie CK Live.

finneganm wrote:New Maron on Netflix is dynamite. He's grown considerably over the past 10 years. Easily one of my favorites these days.

I've only seen the first two seasons, but I enjoy Maron a lot more since i watched it. Also noticed a lot of good cameos from what I saw. Looking forward to watching the rest of the episodes.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby finneganm on Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:53 am

Sorry, I meant his new comedy special. I think it's called Too Real, or something to that effect.
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby SPAC04 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:59 pm

finneganm wrote:Sorry, I meant his new comedy special. I think it's called Too Real, or something to that effect.

last one i saw was "Thinky Pain", actually the first time i saw him at all aside from his cameo on Louie. I gotta check out the new one.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby 63schoeffling on Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:11 pm

This new Maron special is rough. I haven't laughed once and I'm halfway through.

Dude isn't funny at all when it comes to stand up I have seen. Heard he's good in GLOW though.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby applehead on Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:27 am

Anyone go to the Colosal Clusterfest? Thinking about going next year. Stumbled upon it after the Welker show this year in SF, but it was wrapping up.
applehead
Art Expert

Postby earlgreytoast on Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:25 am

63schoeffling wrote:This new Maron special is rough. I haven't laughed once and I'm halfway through.

Dude isn't funny at all when it comes to stand up I have seen. Heard he's good in GLOW though.

finneganm wrote:New Maron on Netflix is dynamite. He's grown considerably over the past 10 years. Easily one of my favorites these days.

Finn is correct, take a lap sheffy.
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Codeblue wrote:This thread is boring. I'm going to go jerk off.

http://artsy.bigcartel.com/

Postby 63schoeffling on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:06 am

Right after I said that he had a bit where I started laughing... go figure. Overall it was kinda meh though. I've listened to his podcast a few times and just can't get into it.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby SPAC04 on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:55 pm

This season im getting lucky when it comes to stand up. Bobby Kelly this week, Colin Quinn on the 25th DAVE ATTELL 1st of Dec. Glad a Helium came to town, as Buffalo is a rocky market for stand up comedy compared to their other locations in Philly, San Fran, and Portland (I think). One comic told me they do Buffalo only so they can get booked by the club in those other markets. Makes for an interesting experience when seasoned headliner's come through as it's such a small room.

ALSO speaking of funny (*cross post from Podcast thread*)

SPAC04 wrote:Harris Wittles was a writer and producer on "Eastbound and Down" and "Parks and Recreation", very funny and interesting individual who died way too soon.

If you like Phish.
http://www.earwolf.com/show/analyze-phish/

For non Phish fans, Harris had two episodes on the Nerdist podcast "You Made It Weird", the latter of which is tremendous and a must listen (although both are great).
http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-46-harris-wittels/

** http://nerdist.com/you-made-it-weird-236-harris-wittels-returns/ **
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Bobby Kelly tonight at Helium, know his work on the radio far better than I know his stand up persona.

Classic Louie bashing him after Patrice passed away, very funny stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFaKwNx_6dc

Colin Quinn on 9/25th show cancelled. To which I say booooo. I'm gonna have to go all the way to NYC to see that fool. At least there is still Attell in Dec.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby mfaith on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:13 pm

Patrice on O&A is some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby SPAC04 on Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:42 am

mfaith wrote:Patrice on O&A is some of the funniest stuff I've ever heard.

Amen to that^

He could get real deep too, some of my favorite episodes are when he talks about
A) His troubles with the Law (ep #19 "Falsely Accused")
B)"Its Cold Outside" (ep #21)
C)Being Mugged/Fighting (ep.#118)

But his material on that show is some of the funniest most entertaining social commentary in comedy. I've listened to all his O&A appearances many times, as well as his Interviews with Maron etc (at least whats on youtube). I am still hunting for his podcast. Easily one of my all time favorite Comedians Rest his soul.

On another note, Bobby Kelly was WAY funnier live than I ever though he would be. Certainly not quite the dude I had heard on radio so many times.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby ChrisV on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:06 pm

So Louis CK likes when people watch him jerk off... this is lamest celebrity sex scandal yet.
ChrisV
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV