The Leftovers

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby DaleCooper on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:20 am

Surely Kevin was dead for quite a while in all these instances though. It wasn't something that can be explained by his heart just stopping for a minute or so. Also, the fact that it was witnessed by so many people each time makes me think it was real.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby willg on Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:50 am

DaleCooper wrote:Surely Kevin was dead for quite a while in all these instances though. It wasn't something that can be explained by his heart just stopping for a minute or so. Also, the fact that it was witnessed by so many people each time makes me think it was real.

I'm with you on this one, specifically the instance where Michael put him in the ground. I can't find a way to explain that one in it was all in his head scenario.
willg
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:11 am

I'm not saying he didn't die or come close to death...just saying while he was in that state it was all in his head. Some people see their life flash by them while they are about to die...he sees a whole different life where he is trying to decide if he even wants to live.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am

FlapJack wrote:she doesn't really belong in either place

I think that's exactly what she felt - and it took opening up to Kevin about it to get past that . . .

EDIT: Or what MFaith already said . . . ha
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby luderico on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:46 pm

What you think of seeing Laurie again?
luderico
Art Connoisseur

Postby tehhippy on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:14 pm

luderico wrote:What you think of seeing Laurie again?

That was real/reality.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Postby MonteAlderaan on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:03 pm

As I mentioned previously, the idea that Kevin is simply "in his head" contradicts what Virgil told him in preparation for his death in S2. It's possible Virgil was lying (he wasn't exactly Father of the Year, after all) but I get the feeling the only aspect of Kevin's journey that is an internal manifestation would be seeing dead people in the real world. Even that could possibly be something more supernatural, considering everything else that goes down in this show. Also, if his "afterlife' travels were imagined, then any information he received or discussions with those he encountered would be completely made up, which is kind of disheartening.

But seriously, where the drymount are those kids' shoes?
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby tehhippy on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:58 pm

MonteAlderaan wrote:As I mentioned previously, the idea that Kevin is simply "in his head" contradicts what Virgil told him in preparation for his death in S2. It's possible Virgil was lying (he wasn't exactly Father of the Year, after all) but I get the feeling the only aspect of Kevin's journey that is an internal manifestation would be seeing dead people in the real world. Even that could possibly be something more supernatural, considering everything else that goes down in this show. Also, if his "afterlife' travels were imagined, then any information he received or discussions with those he encountered would be completely made up, which is kind of disheartening.

Kevin Sr. found them - he was sneaking around a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up at the ranch.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Postby luderico on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 pm

tehhippy wrote:

That was real/reality.

That was out of the question for me ;). Just didn't like that she was alive.
Her episode was so powerful. Now that i know she didn't kill herself, the episode loses some of its power so to speak.
luderico
Art Connoisseur

Postby MonteAlderaan on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:46 pm

tehhippy wrote:
MonteAlderaan wrote:As I mentioned previously, the idea that Kevin is simply "in his head" contradicts what Virgil told him in preparation for his death in S2. It's possible Virgil was lying (he wasn't exactly Father of the Year, after all) but I get the feeling the only aspect of Kevin's journey that is an internal manifestation would be seeing dead people in the real world. Even that could possibly be something more supernatural, considering everything else that goes down in this show. Also, if his "afterlife' travels were imagined, then any information he received or discussions with those he encountered would be completely made up, which is kind of disheartening.

Kevin Sr. found them - he was sneaking around a bag of shoes when Laurie shows up at the ranch.

Ah, I totally missed this somehow.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby ajharrington321 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm

luderico wrote:
tehhippy wrote:

That was real/reality.

Her episode was so powerful. Now that i know she didn't kill herself, the episode loses some of its power so to speak.

I agree. That episode was huge but now, not so much
ajharrington321
Art Expert

Image Image Image

Postby DaleCooper on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:56 pm

Also missed that with the shoes!
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby RidgeRat on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:11 pm

ajharrington321 wrote:
luderico wrote:
tehhippy wrote:

That was real/reality.

I agree. That episode was huge but now, not so much

Not sure if any less huge/powerful. Agreed that she was planning to meet her maker when boarding that boat. But, an expected phone call from her daughter essentially saved her life and gave her something to live for. Hence, the smile on her face prior to entering the water....I could be wrong though.
RidgeRat
Art Connoisseur

"Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon himself."
ISO of JLU's

Postby DaleCooper on Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:41 am

It didn't make sense for her to die at that point, I don't think. It was the right choice for the writers to make... but I still wish she did die. Wasn't a fan of her character.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby matowest on Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:21 am

RidgeRat wrote:Not sure if any less huge/powerful. Agreed that she was planning to meet her maker when boarding that boat. But, an expected phone call from her daughter essentially saved her life and gave her something to live for. Hence, the smile on her face prior to entering the water....I could be wrong though.

I think so. Her with the baby (I assume the granddaughter Kevin mentioned) is a nice bookend to the baby she lost in the departure.
matowest
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV