The Leftovers

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby tehhippy on Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:19 pm

ToolFanFromWayBack wrote:Possible spoiler observation
Curious about where Kevin was actually going. Nora made it sound like there were very few people where she went, but the time Kevin spent wherever seemed to be fully populated (at least in my memory it was)

Nora made up a story and Kevin was in his own head.
tehhippy
Art Expert

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:09 pm

Kevin was for sure all in his head, way you know for sure; Passcode 6969
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby MonteAlderaan on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 pm

I'm way more willing to believe that Nora made up the story than Kevin's experiences being all in his head. That kinda dismisses the Virgil character from S2 and everything he told Kevin. But considering the other things Kevin imagined, it's not impossible.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:33 pm

I wonder if Kevin was special because he was in both places. Maybe that is why he could cross over?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby finneganm on Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Kevin was special because of his donkey rooster
finneganm
Art Freak

That's what she said

Postby PapaVo on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:14 pm

finneganm wrote:Kevin was special because of his donkey rooster

<THUD!>
PapaVo
Art Expert

Postby FlapJack on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:00 am

I wish I had just left it with season 1 and not returned for 2 & 3.
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby DaleCooper on Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:56 am

I didn't love season 1 up until around episode 4 or 5... but Season 2 was possibly the greatest run of any show I've ever seen. Incredibly well written. Season 3 was up there too, but not quite as special (although I'd still give it 10 out of 10).

As for the Kevin and Nora stuff....

I think Kevin's 'purgatory' scenes were legit. There's nothing that made me think otherwise until it was mentioned here. There was enough supernatural elements happening in the show for it to be believable. I mean, 2% of the population disappeared at the very start.

As for Nora, I understand that there are a ton of hints to say she never actually went through, but I want to believe she did. Carrie Coon's acting was so incredible in that scene that she totally sucked me in, anyway. So I'l give her the benefit of the doubt.
DaleCooper
Art Expert

Postby MonteAlderaan on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:11 am

DaleCooper wrote:As for the Kevin and Nora stuff....

I feel the same. I don't really see what her motive to lie would be at this point. Also, considering Kevin's genuine and emotional acceptance of her story, having her account be fake makes for unnecessarily shitty ending.
MonteAlderaan
Art Connoisseur

Postby BENYOUNG20 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:40 pm

Why all the invisible text...this all post show and speculation.
(This thread is impossible to read on a phone)
My thoughts:
Nora - told a truthful story at the end.
Kevin - all in his head. 1. He never gets actual answers, just stuff he needed to hear (like kids didn't say where shoes were and he didn't get rain dance song) 2. He literally had to battle internally his dark vs. light side, why else would there be 2 of him? 3. People just showed back up in his head as needed...were they already dead in that world? don't matter he needs them. 4. In the end he realizes what he was doing and decides to go for love....so he just blows up the fake world he no longer needs to escape to.
BENYOUNG20
Art Expert

Postby FlapJack on Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:39 pm

If Nora really went on that - what should have been incredibly transformative - journey, and still came back the same skeptical, bitchy attitude wanting to hide from everyone, then:

1) what a horribly, depressing character arc
2) she doesn't really belong in either place
FlapJack
Art Expert

Postby BB8 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:37 pm

FlapJack wrote: still came back the same skeptical, bitchy attitude wanting to hide from everyone, then:

She wasn't skeptical when she came back.

She has no motivation to lie about her story. If she lied then you need to also explain why she wasn't dead. Changing her mind last minute before she went in, no evidence for it at all.
BB8
Art Connoisseur

Postby mfaith on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:29 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Why all the invisible text...this all post show and speculation.
My thoughts:
Kevin - all in his head. 1. He never gets actual answers, just stuff he needed to hear (like kids didn't say where shoes were and he didn't get rain dance song) 2. He literally had to battle internally his dark vs. light side, why else would there be 2 of him? 3. People just showed back up in his head as needed...were they already dead in that world? don't matter he needs them. 4. In the end he realizes what he was doing and decides to go for love....so he just blows up the fake world he no longer needs to escape to.

This was my feeling about things as well. And I think the fact that Nora doesn't feel that she really belongs anywhere is one of the most profoundly tragic things about her story. And why Kevin hunting her down, effectively demonstrating that she does belong, and that people do care about here, was so touching.
mfaith
EB Team

Image Image ImageImage

Postby ToolFanFromWayBack on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:44 pm

BENYOUNG20 wrote:Why all the invisible text...this all post show and speculation.
My thoughts:

For me it was because I didn't want to get into another fudge storm like TWD thread when people started posting speculation and a few on here threw hissy fits.

I like your thinking re: kevin, but what about his poisoning in S2? Are we thinking he almost died each of these times? What about when he came back but was in different location from where he "died"?
ToolFanFromWayBack
Art Expert

I need more. Nothing seems to satisfy. I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive. - MJK
“People incapable of guilt usually have a good time.” - Rust Cohle
Presenting Codeblue's 30000th post -
Codeblue wrote:bump

Postby FlapJack on Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:54 pm

BB8 wrote:She wasn't skeptical when she came back.

Seemed to have the same demeanor/attitude in the future, when interacting with the nun, Kevin, and the folks at the wedding. She was questioning the nun about banging a priest. Lol
FlapJack
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV