Marvel Cinematic Universe

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby 1000steps on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Just got back from Dr. Strange with the kids. It was a fun ride, with a lot more humor than expected. Benedict C. was a good choice to deliver the pithy dialogue and rock the action sequences. There were some good plot threads that tied into the overall Marvel universe.

I remember reading Dr. Strange comic books when I was a kid and periodically thinking to myself whoa, how would that look in the real world, outside the comic panel? I think this film fills in those comic abstractions well, but another comic fan might be disappointed because the transdimensional environment in the film does not resemble the world she imagined when reading the comic.
1000steps
Art Expert

sunsetbrew wrote:This thread is pointless.

Postby Diabolos80 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 pm

I had similar thoughts and I was very disappointed when the trailers revealed the bending city effects. Basicallly the climax turns into every other Marvel movie: a destroyed city. There are hints throughout the film of more absurd environments but they never really offer anything new. Overall I really enjoyed the film, but it definitely missed an oppurtunity to show something unique. It also came with yet another throwaway villain...
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby 35mmpaul on Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:55 am

Idk action scenes in a dimension where time and space would make M. C. Escher blush. And a fight scene where destruction is happening in reverse is pretty new to me.

But if you are saying big action scene in a city scape sure yeah, they've done that before.
35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby Mapman on Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:51 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:I had similar thoughts and I was very disappointed when the trailers revealed the bending city effects. Basicallly the climax turns into every other Marvel movie: a destroyed city. There are hints throughout the film of more absurd environments but they never really offer anything new. Overall I really enjoyed the film, but it definitely missed an oppurtunity to show something unique. It also came with yet another throwaway villain...

The difference is that Kaecilius was a minor character in the comics, and his defeat was used as a way to show Stranges skills as well as a way to set up his position within the MCU. Whereas many of the villains in the other MCU films such as red skull, ultron, malekith, Von strucker, Ronan, and Zemo are used as throwaways. Also I think they set up Dormammu and Baron Mordo as future villains for Dr. Strange.
Mapman
Art Expert

Postby Diabolos80 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:39 pm

I really enjoyed it, sorry if it sounded like I was dumping on it. I don't think the climax was derivative necessarily, just yeah... another big city rumble. And Dormammu's world looked like a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper. I don't think we'll ever hear from Dormammu again, either.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby pjsteelerfan on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:49 pm

Diabolos80 wrote:I really enjoyed it, sorry if it sounded like I was dumping on it. I don't think the climax was derivative necessarily, just yeah... another big city rumble. And Dormammu's world looked like a Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper. I don't think we'll ever hear from Dormammu again, either.

Not sure on that, read that they may be setting him up as a the Galactus of the MCU.
pjsteelerfan
Art Expert

Postby Diabolos80 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Seriously? Isn't that Thanos's's's job? I think we can all agree that villains are not on the list of best things in the MCU.
I was actually talking to my wife about this after the flick. I think they should throw superheroes into a natural disaster.
Diabolos80
Art Expert

Postby schmoff on Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:15 am

saw it last night, not in my lifetime as a child reading comics did i ever think it would be possible to pull off a doctor strange movie but they did a great job

thanos will be coming for doc strange soon enough since he holds an infinity gem
schmoff
Art Expert

Postby Mapman on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:34 pm

It bugs me that they HAD to have a back story that connects back to Earth for every single infinity gem. It just pushes the boundaries of even the comic world of believability. They should have left a couple in Thanos possession with a short backstory in the Infinity war.

As for Galactus's role, I think marvel/disney should just bite the bullet it buy the rights back for all the cosmic characters.
Mapman
Art Expert

Postby jkw3000 on Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Mapman wrote:It bugs me that they HAD to have a back story that connects back to Earth for every single infinity gem. It just pushes the boundaries of even the comic world of believability. They should have left a couple in Thanos possession with a short backstory in the Infinity war.

As for Galactus's role, I think marvel/disney should just bite the bullet it buy the rights back for all the cosmic characters.

Eh, not really? Space gem/tesseract, yeah. Mind gem/Loki's staff, ends up being given to Loki by Thanos to invade Earth. Reality gem/aether, yeah, though it starts in the Asgardian realms and just sort of seeps in. Power gem, not on Earth as we're with the GOTG there. Time gem, sure, though given how long it's been there/the dimensions it traveled, not that big a stretch. And still haven't encountered the soul gem.

I frankly prefer it the way they're doing it - believability takes a back seat to how well-built and tied together the larger story is. Mainstream audiences seeing all of it tie together has a better payoff than "oh he also happened to have this other gem that could travel through time or bring people back from the dead".

And even if they could buy Galactus back, don't think Fox is gonna want to play nice. Not without getting something for their franchises, at least. FF is not a money maker for them but they're rather have it and stick it to Disney than sell it back.
jkw3000
Art Freak

35mmpaul wrote:We are addicted to things that hurt our butts.

Postby 35mmpaul on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:00 pm

35mmpaul
Art Expert

jkw3000 - Nobody ever really wins in this hobby.
Olly - I'm a hack asshole unable to provide you with what you want.
Gonzo's Mom- And some of you are the demons!

Postby toobs on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:37 pm

really liked dr.strange, done really well looked amazing in 3d Imax . . . . where is my martin ansin print for it?
toobs
Art Expert

RottenAtom wrote:This is the hookup thread, not the beg for sloppy seconds thread.

Postby cotis on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

still haven't seen Strange yet...
cotis
Art Expert

Postby binky79 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:28 pm

binky79
Art Expert

Postby binky79 on Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:57 am

binky79
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV