A Wretched Hive - The Star Wars Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby earlgreytoast on Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 am

RottenAtom wrote:Having a hard time mustering up any enthusiasm for Solo...
earlgreytoast
Art Expert

Postby peacedog on Thu May 03, 2018 10:50 am

earlgreytoast wrote:
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby hunterjax on Thu May 03, 2018 12:51 pm

I get the reaction to the watering down of his character, but overall it looks like a solid Heist movie in space. I like that the SW Stories are becoming sort of just genre films set in the SWU. Rogue One: gritty Dirty Dozen style war film; Solo: a fast paced, music pumping, heist/adventure film.

I find it hard not to be a little bit amped about new Star Wars films. I know I definitely give SW more leeway than any other franchise in any medium, but that last trailer got me excited for Solo.
hunterjax
Art Expert

Kramerica wrote: . . . . . Also, never listen to anything rambo says.

Postby schmoff on Thu May 03, 2018 1:03 pm

anyone know when tix will go onsale?
schmoff
Art Expert

Postby wonkabars7 on Thu May 03, 2018 2:24 pm

Fandango taking best offers rn
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby peacedog on Thu May 03, 2018 3:00 pm

I agree with Earl, they seemed to go out of their way to stomp on the core of the Star Wars galaxy with The Last Jedi. Left me a little jaded about their intentions.
peacedog
Art Expert

Postby wonkabars7 on Thu May 03, 2018 3:10 pm

peacedog wrote:I agree with Earl, they seemed to go out of their way to stomp on the core of the Star Wars galaxy with The Last Jedi. Left me a little jaded about their intentions.
wonkabars7
Art Expert

Postby rubberneck on Thu May 03, 2018 3:29 pm

wonkabars7 wrote:
peacedog wrote:I agree with Earl, they seemed to go out of their way to stomp on the core of the Star Wars galaxy with The Last Jedi. Left me a little jaded about their intentions.

Even my kid has little to no enthusiasm about seeing it. Speaks volumes.

He still loves OT.
rubberneck
Art God

Postby RottenAtom on Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 pm

It's just too much too soon and it's obvious that they're flying by the seat of their pants and making things up as they go with no respect (disdain even) for the world Lucas created. It's a race to the bank with quality taking a back seat.

Star Wars movies should be special - something to anticipate. In just a few movies they stripped all the excitement from one of the most exciting properties of all-time. drymount Disney.

The goal should be to make a quality SW movie and release it when it's ready, not to plan movies every 6-12 months (or whatever) and push them out regardless of how rushed/shitty they are.

After a second viewing of the last one, I've pretty much written off this entire franchi$e

(This is exactly what I thought would happen when the Disney sale was announced...)
RottenAtom
Art Freak

Postby FrankBooth on Thu May 03, 2018 4:34 pm

It surprises me that the quality of the Marvel properties wasn't more present in the handling of this.

Maybe not too surprising, as the Marvel universe was brand new. I thought the latest Avengers was a good uptick from the last few standalone films, majority of that I attribute to the Russo brothers having a good understanding and handling of the universe.

I think one part is absolutely the frequency, not only because it increases anticipation but for prep work. There is not a lot of time left to really flesh things out for another film and honestly sometimes giving the director too much control can be bad. Especially when that director throws away some basic narrative structure just because.
FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby fredo on Thu May 03, 2018 7:31 pm

DizCo shareholders gon' disco sharehold.

They oughta get it over with and turn this thing over to Pixar already.
fredo
Art God

just a foil for me today, thanks

Postby binky79 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 pm

After Rogue One and TLJ the bar is pretty low. It looks fun, and if thats all it is I'll come away happy.
binky79
Art Expert

Postby hundoforya on Thu May 03, 2018 8:32 pm

They sure as hell know how to make a trailer though. Every trailer for these movies have left me with a big 'ole boner nearly poked my cat's eye out. Maybe thats all that matters.
hundoforya
Art Enthusiast

Postby Prisco077 on Thu May 03, 2018 10:36 pm

So morose in here. The prequels were an abomination. To pretend that Disney is somehow ruining star wars requires pretending that there was something to ruin after the PT.
Prisco077
Art Connoisseur

Postby peacedog on Thu May 03, 2018 10:59 pm

Prisco077 wrote:So morose in here. The prequels were an abomination. To pretend that Disney is somehow ruining star wars requires pretending that there was something to ruin after the PT.

That's the problem. Abrams had done at least a decent job of salvaging the franchise and getting it pointed in the right direction again. If the worst that could be said about that was that the story was basically the same as A New Hope, I was ok with that. It felt OT again. Rogue One was ok, but lacked the Star Wars feel for me, too violent to take my kid to anymore than I would have taken him to see Dunkirk. The Last Jedi, man, they did a number on the storyline. And more than that, it seemed like they went out of their way to do so. I look at Solo trailers and see an ad for MTV, more of the same. Maybe they'll change my mind, but it's the first Star Wars movie since the prequels I'm waiting to hear the buzz before I catch it in the theater.

#oldmanyellsatcloud
peacedog
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV