The Official Horror Movie Thread

Film flames, episode episodes. Post lifetime is 1 year.

Postby SPAC04 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:15 pm

Watched "hereditary" last night. Loved it. Score was fantastic, particularly during the resolution. A24 has an increasingly brilliant catalog of horror films.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:22 pm

SPAC04 wrote:Watched "hereditary" last night. Loved it. Score was fantastic, particularly during the resolution. A24 has an increasingly brilliant catalog of horror films.

Strongly disagree. I think A24s horror offerings are among their weakest. Part of it has to do with the absurd amount of praise heaped upon them during their festival runs. Now hype wise, they are probably their most brilliant.

Finally caught Mandy. Meh. Needed to be about 35 minutes shorter. I wanted to love it but I didn’t. I’m having a hard time seeing what all the fuss is about.
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:57 pm

Started a little early by watching the original "Stepford Wives" this morning, since the fiancee had never seen it. It holds up surprisingly well, and is still a great example of allegorical horror that freely mixes horror, sci-fi-fi, and gender politics.

Also caught a home invasion flick titled "Intruders," which is streaming on Amazon Prime. It unraveled a bit in the third act, and fell victim to some of the cliches of the subgenere, but was surprisingly decent. Just don't watch the trailer if you decide to check it out; it pretty much gives away the entire movie.

RambosRemodeler wrote:Strongly disagree. I think A24s horror offerings are among their weakest. Part of it has to do with the absurd amount of praise heaped upon them during their festival runs. Now hype wise, they are probably their most brilliant.

I Loved "Hereditary," but I also have a soft spot for horror that integrates mental illness… since I think that's one of the most legitimately terrifying things in the world (Taking of Deborah Logan, Unsane, Psycho, Dead Ringers, etc.). Rewatching it tomorrow for the first time since the theater. Curious whether I'll enjoy it as much, and definitely looking forward to any bonus content or commentary. I also totally understand folks who didn't dig it, however. A24 is always a mixed bag. I thought "It Comes at Night" was OK, but nowhere deserving of the hype, and I absolutely loathed "A Ghost Story," though I thought it would have made a great short film. I'm glad A24 exists, and I'll check out anything they're attached to, but the hype is never earned when it comes to their horror offerings. Though "Slice" looks like fun.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby SPAC04 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:13 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
SPAC04 wrote:Watched "hereditary" last night. Loved it. Score was fantastic, particularly during the resolution. A24 has an increasingly brilliant catalog of horror films.

Strongly disagree. I think A24s horror offerings are among their weakest. Part of it has to do with the absurd amount of praise heaped upon them during their festival runs. Now hype wise, they are probably their most brilliant.

To each their own, "Under the Skin" and "Hereditary" actually freaked me out, and i usually fall asleep to horror films. I guess it just depends on your own sensibilities like anything else.
SPAC04
Art Expert

Postby doppelgangbanger on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:36 pm

I see a lot of Sara Deck "fan art" listings. These are not "official" releases through the normal publishers? Can someone point me to where these are being distributed?
doppelgangbanger
Art Enthusiast

Postby 63schoeffling on Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:49 pm

It's October and you know what that means.... 31 Horror movies in 31 days!

I have to dig up my list from last year but I was able to complete the 31 each of the last two years. Didn't quite make it the first two years I tried. I also have Shudder now, so that should make it easier.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:16 pm

Tonight's 31 in 31 viewing theme: remakes that are better than the original.
Watched "The Crazies" remake again, and it impresses me every time. They take a relatively cliche premise and actually bother to make a great movie around the concept. It just doesn't get nearly enough love.
Watching the remake of "Maniac" as well, but haven't seen it for a while. I listen to the score pretty regularly, but it's one I rarely think of revising, despite really digging it when I first saw it.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Tonight's 31 in 31 theme: killer dolls.
Watched "Child's Play" and "Puppetmaster" since the lady had never seen either. Child's Play is still pretty awesome. Definitely holds up far better than many of the era. Puppetmaster is not what I remembered from when I saw it as a kid, however. Watching it as an adult, the movie mostly makes me laugh and cringe.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby RambosRemodeler on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:11 pm

bmerwinsuwc wrote:Tonight's 31 in 31 viewing theme: remakes that are better than the original.
Watched "The Crazies" remake again, and it impresses me every time. They take a relatively cliche premise and actually bother to make a great movie around the concept. It just doesn't get nearly enough love.
Watching the remake of "Maniac" as well, but haven't seen it for a while. I listen to the score pretty regularly, but it's one I rarely think of revising, despite really digging it when I first saw it.

The Crazies remake is not only a rare case of a remake being excellent but IMO it is superior to the original.

Started night 1 with Satans Slaves. It is Joko Anwars newest flick. I was drymounting blown away at how great it was. Might be the most fun I had watching a horror movie this year. It has a little bit of everything. The only person in this thread I would not recommend it to is Bmerin. HE WILL FIND A REASON TO HATE IT. :lol: Followed Satans with Dream Warriors. I realized I had somehow never seen it. It has the best kills in the series IMO. It is also the last flick before Freddy becomes a gd cartoon.

Despite my protest, we are watching unfriended : dark web tonight. Going to try and watch Macabre from the Mo Brothers afterwards. The weekend is going to be primarily anthology flicks I have never seen.

SPAC04 wrote:
RambosRemodeler wrote:

To each their own, "Under the Skin" and "Hereditary" actually freaked me out, and i usually fall asleep to horror films. I guess it just depends on your own sensibilities like anything else.

Shut up W. You have fudge taste :P I drymounting loved UTS though. I didn't like it the first time I saw it. re watched recently and ended up loving it. And yeah horror is different for everyone. Everyone is scared of different fudge that is why it is always so hard for me to recommend stuff when people ask for "scary" movie lists. Hereditary just didn't work for me. I guess i see the appeal but the first hour is far superior to the second hour IMO. When it was primarily a familial drama, I thought it was phenomenal. When it became a full blown horror flick, all of the stuff felt like they were trying so drymounting hard and almost all of it missed the mark. The ending was also dog fudge. Collette was drymounting incredible in it tho and that scene with the attic door :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
RambosRemodeler
Art Freak

choke wrote:I won't give up a flip that I can get myself to someone who is convinced they need it. None of us need any of this fudge. It's art. It's not medicine.

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:17 am

RambosRemodeler wrote:
The Crazies remake is not only a rare case of a remake being excellent but IMO it is superior to the original.
The only person in this thread I would not recommend it to is Bmerin. HE WILL FIND A REASON TO HATE IT. :lol:

I'd definitely say the Crazies remake is vastly superior. The original has its charms, but the remake is great every time, and it's a movie I find myself recommending to folks all the time.

I can find a reason to hate just about anything :pint:
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby 63schoeffling on Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:31 am

These rankings are strictly in reference to random horror movies and not exactly what I would give them outside of the 31 in 31 bubble, so take that for what it's worth:

1. Demonic (3/5) - Pretty decent flick for a random Netflix watch; about what you would expect.
2. Stir of Echoes (4/5) - Been years since I watched this and forgot how good it was; really held up.
63schoeffling
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImageImage

Postby FrankBooth on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:44 pm

:clap:

FrankBooth
Art Expert

ImageImageImageImage Image

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:22 am

Was in the mood for nostalgia tonight, so we watched "Scream," "I Know What You Did Last Summer," and "Scary Movie."
I remember really liking "I Know What You Did Last Summer" when it came out, but watching it as an adult is pretty tedious.

Saturday will be a King-inspired double bill of "Carrie" and "The Shining."
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:36 pm

Had our minds on revenge since yesterday, so been watching revenge flicks throughout the day: "American Mary," "Jennifer's Body," "Deathproof," and "Teeth" today.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

Postby bmerwinsuwc on Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Watched "Would You Rather" last night. Banal premise with a handful of great moments, but mostly just brutal nihilism with a groan-inducing ending.
Tonight will be Final Destination 1 and 5. While I love some of the class franchises, Final Destination might be the most fun for me.
bmerwinsuwc
Art Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Cinema/TV